Do I need 4 dash cams if I want 360-degree coverage around the car?

SandyM

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do I need 4 dash cams if I want 360-degree coverage around the car?

What would such a setup look like?

Thank you. :)

I want to do something like that, too, but figured it doesn't do me a lot of good if there are so many cameras with good views that they're blocking my own.

And then there's the risk that it'll degenerate into something like this:

sv-car.png

But if you figure out a practical, cost-effective way to do it, I'd love to hear it. :)

I want to do something like that, too, but figured it doesn't do me a lot of good if there are so many cameras with good views that they're blocking my own.

And then there's the risk that it'll degenerate into something like this:

But if you figure out a practical, cost-effective way to do it, I'd love to hear it. :)

I knew my question would have brought up the Google Maps car! :)

What I'm planning to do is this.... I already have a Mini 0801 on the windshield.
I plan to get another for the rear window, point towards the rear. For the left
and right, I plan to get two cheap $50 or $60 dash cams. Mount one on the
driver's side B-pillr and pointing towards the passenger side B-pillar, which
should get a good view out both passenger-side windows. Do the same thing
on the passenger-side B-pillar. The rear, left, and right cameras will all be
hardwired into the rear cigarette lighter, so they will turn on with the car.

Two Mini 0801 will be about $200. Add $100 for two cheap $50 cams.
$20 for all the USB wires. That doesn't seem so bad.

My thought is 360-degree cams are only good for parking mode when you want to record any event happen around your car when not being attended, that's when it is more likely something is going to hit the side of your car. But it will require a permanent power supply to all four cameras. I can see these setup is going to be quite expensive and not easy to install and being discreet.

In theory it could be done with 3 cameras with super wide angle lenses of 120+ degrees horizontal field of view.

A 2 camera with an almost 180 degree horizontal field of view would be interesting. One lens would be facing forward and on facing backward. The 1920 x 1080 video would appear as split screen with the top 1920 x 540 being the front camera and the bottom 1920 x 540 being the rear camera. Assume that it's 170 degrees horizontal, the vertical would be about 48 degrees vertical. Each image being a 16:4.5 or 32:9 ratio.

Maybe someone has already made this....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've searched for this kind of products before, some multiple channel DVR can do it but it will be too complicated and the device size made me give up

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the easy way for now is to just purchase 2 --> 4 cameras and install them pointing in different dirrections.

I currently use a cheapo dual cam system in my car, the rear lens taking up hardly any room at all.
My ideal system would be to have 4 remote lenses connected to a central DVR, each lens having its own dedicated SD card.
I was thinking about buying a couple of Mobius cams & using their external lens (with the long ribbon cable) to keep the unit up & out of the way, just mount the lens on the screens.
Is it essential? you never know, but it can't hurt to have more cams. I believe a dual cam system IS essential.

You could put a 1080P IP camera on top of your car and use the PTZ to constantly rotate and film. :D

I have been thinking of a setup with my lukas LK-7500G and 3 mobius cams, but i am not sure if ther battery can handle hot Danish summers and Cold Winters, or if the morbius can be operated with the battery removed and running strait off the power supply from the USB plug.

For side and rear window you need somthing smaller than 32 x 32 mm IMO

My original reasoning for having a 4 cam system was because of the 'flash for cash' scam - but in recent days I have had a few cars coming around a roundabout without indicating. Just as I am about to pull onto the roundabout, they pass the point at which they should've taken the exit & you realise that they aren't going straight ahead.
One of these days ...
And that's when the extra coverage would be handy!

take a look at planethalo.com they have one that has 4 cameras

This one is allso interesting even tho its only for still Pictures so far, but you will get a panorama view 4 sure.

I am thinking 1 big ass suction cup ( plunger maybe ) 1 shaft about 1 M long, and you have your own Little Google car setup :D

Back