External Microphones for Git2

Jantteri

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
I have a question about external microphones which work with Git2. To my knowledge GoPro deliveres so called "excitation power" or "bias power" for external microphones which require power supply order to work properly. It seems that such electret microphones like Olympus ME-51S and Sony ECM-DS70P have been succesfully used with GoPro, but do they work with Git2?

GoPro 3 (according to GoPro "reserved power bias for external mics is 3.3v")

Search for GoPro 4 gives mixed results but seems to work for instace here

It seems that using a genuine GoPro adaptor cable is wise for a stereo microphone, the Sony sounds quite good, don't think I have heard the Olympus but Olympus are known for their voice recorders so it should be good for voice.

I tested the Boya BY-LM20 and the Rode VideoMicro (with the Boya adaptor) and work's fine.

I have Sony ECM-CS3 mic and it works fine.

Thanks, Sony ECM-CS3 sounds very good actually, however it sounds to have quite prounced upper frequencies, even more than Olympus ME-51S. Too bad it's hard to find good audio reviews on microphones, best one would be a recording with live instruments.

Anyone have experience on Saramonic GoMic? It don't sound too bad for the price, although a bit sibilant. However, both clips here have issues with background noise and static:

And not very impressed with the quality here:

Last edited:
¿Are you getting stereo sound? ¿With or without adapter?
I have stereo sound with self-made adapter (you can find link to instruction in video). I don't know where to buy the working one cause GoPro's adapters have 100 kOm resistors

I have stereo sound with self-made adapter (you can find link to instruction in video). I don't know where to buy the working one cause GoPro's adapters have 100 kOm resistors

Are you saying that Gopro original adapter doesnt work with Git2? because I got the adapter from Gopro anda guess what? not working at all :(

Are you saying that Gopro original adapter doesnt work with Git2? because I got the adapter from Gopro anda guess what? not working at all :(
I don't know, I don't have, don't try original adapter

Would be good to have wireless WiFi or Bluetooth mic (maybe in Git3, as internal module option).

A wireless mic is not recommended. Otherwise you won't enjoy the life of your camera battery for very long.

A wireless mic is not recommended. Otherwise you won't enjoy the life of your camera battery for very long.
Bluetooth module takes about 30-50 mAh. It is very low power consumption.
Size of module is about 2.5 cm of long side. Transmitting distance up to 10 meters with quality stereo stream.
350px-Wireless_BC05_01.jpg

Last edited:
I have never heard of bluetooth mic transmitters.

Bluetooth module takes about 30-50 mAh. It is very low power consumption.
Size of module is about 2.5 cm of long side. Transmitting distance up to 10 meters with quality stereo stream.
350px-Wireless_BC05_01.jpg
What sort of microphone do you use with that?

What sort of microphone do you use with that?
I haven't, it is only thinking. This is module for digital data transfer.
In theory, any mic can be connected via ADC module:

Last edited:
Interesting video.

I don't seem to be able to find a Bluetooth audio transmitter with a microphone input so you need a separate microphone pre-amp as mentioned in the video, that means an extra box, power button and battery to charge, not the neatest solution. Nice way of connecting old analogue microphones to the Git3 without a tangle of wires though.

Would be good to have wireless WiFi or Bluetooth mic (maybe in Git3, as internal module option).
Novatek does not support bluetooth mic.

Several wireless solutions:
That is better, now I only need to charge and turn on the camera, the microphone and a Bluetooth receiver plugged into the Git2 USB port with just a short wire.

Those microphones are a bit expensive though unless you have a real need to be wireless. Presumably a cheap mobile phone Bluetooth headset could be used but I suspect the quality would only be mobile phone quality, not really good enough for a video.

Novatek does not support bluetooth mic.
Maybe a firmware upgrade someday?

Back