Rear Dash Cam installation help please

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3/v2/v1
Hi guys,

So i have already installed a Viofo A119 in the front of my car, which is a Hyundai Getz 2010 model (three-door hatchback), which is sometimes known as a Hyundai Click.

Anyways I was looking at installing a Viofo A118 in the back of my car, but was unsure how to go about it. I don't wish to hard-wire any of the cams, and I have a few questions.

1. Is it ok for me to power the A118 in the other port of the dual USB cigarette lighter charger I already am using? (I don't wish to hardwire any of the cams)
2. Is there a very long miniUSB cable that I can run from the front of my car through the weather seals to the back of my car?
3. What's the best mounting solution for the dashcam as it will live on the back windshield

Any and all advice much appreciated :)

I'm currently powering 4 cameras (2 SG9665GC, 2 A118-C) with one of these using 15 foot cables to each camera so you should be OK.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0169K7SQS
As to mounting I have my rear camera mounted as high as possible directly on the rear glass - leaving a bit of slack in the cable(s) to allow opening the hatch. I have dark privacy glass in the rear so it's not visible from the outside. After a couple of days you don't even notice it's there unless you look for it, much like your RVM in the front.

Hi guys,

So i have already installed a Viofo A119 in the front of my car, which is a Hyundai Getz 2010 model (three-door hatchback), which is sometimes known as a Hyundai Click.

Anyways I was looking at installing a Viofo A118 in the back of my car, but was unsure how to go about it. I don't wish to hard-wire any of the cams, and I have a few questions.

1. Is it ok for me to power the A118 in the other port of the dual USB cigarette lighter charger I already am using? (I don't wish to hardwire any of the cams)
2. Is there a very long miniUSB cable that I can run from the front of my car through the weather seals to the back of my car?
3. What's the best mounting solution for the dashcam as it will live on the back windshield

Any and all advice much appreciated :)

Here's what I did in my hatchback with the Mobius - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/good-rear-facing-dash-cam.20306/page-2#post-273622

You could use a similar mount and with a bit of DIY try pushing the lens closer the the windshield. I'll be doing something along the same lines in order to test the SG9665GC in the rear soon. Other than that, lesser ideal places would be the headliner or the rear windshield.

Assuming that you're using the front 12V port, try going under the carpeting till the C-pillar, you'll save a lot of wire length and the supplied charger's cable should reach your mounting point.

Yes, you can just run another cable from 12v outlet to the back if you don't mind the wires.
Or hardwire tapping cables that have power like brake or dome lights or something else that has power when car is on.

Thanks heaps for the suggestions guys, it's all a great help. I will look at probably getting the 15 foot USB cable and wiring it under the carpet as said, and then see if i can get a mount, but if not then attach the dash cam via 3M tape to the windshield.

Sorry to add to this thread, but still have some niggling questions. Found this absolutely wonderful video that demonstrates a professional front and rear dash cam install:

At about the ten minute mark, he shows how he uses a cable threading tool called a "Yellow Tongue" but then skips to the part where he is at the back of the hatch affixing the dashcam. He doesn't exactly explain how he has got the "Yellow Tongue" tool to thread the cable from the top of the A-pillar trim out of the back of the roof liner.

Anyways if anyone is able to shed any light on this process please if possible. I have included photos of my car that I am going to install the rear dash cam on.

P_20160912_170602.jpg P_20160912_170624.jpg P_20160912_171125.jpg

the yellow tongue that he refers to is something that just about all installers and cable guys here use, it's the yellow plastic strip that comes out of floor board sheeting, tongue and groove flooring etc, it's stiff but flexible and you just feed it through where you want to run your cables, tape your cables to it then pull it back

There's all sorts of cable pulling gadgets.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00DM5D8C2More flexible types are called fishing cable (!) etc.
But if you can improvise something like with that yellow tongue it could be cheaper and just as effective.

There's always the money clip headliner mount. This is what I did with my rear camera and my estate car that has a boot which opens in two sections:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/posts/255752/

Looking at your pictures, due to that third brake light, you'd probably have to go off-centre using a headliner mount.

If you mount directly to the rear glass as I did initially, you might find the cable gets in the way. However, you could try one of those coiled cables, that might also work.

thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciative. As you said @Kip and because my brake light is in the way i would have to mount it off-centre, and pretty much on the headliner (as i hear my rear window glass rattle sometimes during acceleration).

forgive me as i am a total noob, so let me get this right. if i use a coiling cable/fishing cable/yellow tongue, what i do first is feed it thru the top of the A pillar trim all the way to the back of the car (exiting through roof headliner), and then tape the USB cable to the other yellow tongue at the point of the A pillar trim and then pull it through at the back of the car? then cut off the excess yellow tongue.

forgive me as i am a total noob, so let me get this right. if i use a coiling cable/fishing cable/yellow tongue, what i do first is feed it thru the top of the A pillar trim all the way to the back of the car (exiting through roof headliner), and then tape the USB cable to the other yellow tongue at the point of the A pillar trim and then pull it through at the back of the car? then cut off the excess yellow tongue.

installers will generally push it through from wherever you want it to exit from back to the start point, eg stick it in the back then push it through up to the front, tie the cables to it then pull it back out, none of it gets cut off or left behind

installers will generally push it through from wherever you want it to exit from back to the start point, eg stick it in the back then push it through up to the front, tie the cables to it then pull it back out, none of it gets cut off or left behind
ah now i get ya thanks for this. so yes basically thread it in all the way, then tape (black electrical tape maybe?) the USB cable for dashcam (15ft length) to the yellow tongue, then go to the rear of car and pull the whole thing back out.

managed to source a 5m USB cable, and now going to get a cable snake. does everyone think that 4m or 5m in length for the cable snake should work?

Finally got around to installing the cabling for the rear dash cam, after some fiddling around finally got it in. Followed the instructions you lads kindly provided up here, pushed a couple of buttons down near where the cardboard of the roofliner exits the back of the hatchback (so i could push the yellow tongue through the roofspace). Just made sure i aimed it to as the left as much as i could, so that i could see it come through when i moved back to the passenger side door to look for it. Then taped it up and pulled it back through.

Anyways after all that effort, was dismayed to find that the USB cable i had purchased didn't actually power the camera. Checked my A119 and the charger ports, so it definitely wasn't any of them - the USB cable wasn't working. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where to get one from (miniUSB cable) as needs to be 5 metres in length???

IMG_20161120_142320_HDR.jpg IMG_20161120_144032_HDR.jpg IMG_20161120_144321_HDR.jpg IMG_20161120_144224_HDR.jpg

Back