Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Ok, so my older 0801 (f/w 0905)recorded a total of 14 hours! (never quit) 4GB class 4 card.
I unplugged the power, it shut down, plugged back in, turned on and stared recording.
at 4m:13s I got a "LOW SPEED CARD" warning (something like that, I might be paraphrasing now) and it stopped recording. (solid blue light now) WTF?

The newer 0801 (f/w 0903) I started later with the new 32GB Class 4 card, recoded 10 hours non stop! (never quit)
I unplugged the power and the newer 0801 shut down.
I plugged the power back in and it powered up/started recording. After 1 minute I got "STORAGE ERROR" and it stopped recording. :(

I'm going to switch to 5 minute loop mode on both and try again. This is all from my bedroom with out GPS hooked up. (using LAPTOP power, I have a special cable that disabled data so it doesn't go into mass storage mode)

Not feeling confident again, I think we need a better firmware for sure.

Hi All,

Just received my camera and installed it. Been reading some helpful tips here but one thing I cannot find an answer to relates to the protected files.

In my last camera all protected files were saved in a different folder so when plugged in to my PC it was easy to take the files I wanted. With this new mini 0801 though I cannot tell which are protected. Am I missing something? I'm guessing my only option is to let the card fill and begin over writing old files and then when I plug it in the oldest file numbers will be protected?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can share.

Kieran

RegistratorViewer will show which files are locked
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html

I wired in a separate 12V socket for my dash cam with a 3 position switch like this one.

Do you have a battery discharge limiter on the always powered side? Any concerns about running the car battery down with the switch in the always on position?

Ok, so my older 0801 (f/w 0905)recorded a total of 14 hours! (never quit) 4GB class 4 card.
I unplugged the power, it shut down, plugged back in, turned on and stared recording.
at 4m:13s I got a "LOW SPEED CARD" warning (something like that, I might be paraphrasing now) and it stopped recording. (solid blue light now) WTF?

The newer 0801 (f/w 0903) I started later with the new 32GB Class 4 card, recoded 10 hours non stop! (never quit)
I plugged the power back in and it powered up/started recording. After 1 minute I got "STORAGE ERROR" and it stopped recording. :(

I'm going to switch to 5 minute loop mode on both and try again. This is all from my bedroom with out GPS hooked up. (using LAPTOP power, I have a special cable that disabled data so it doesn't go into mass storage mode)

How many hours can a 4GB card record at 1080p resolutio? I'm guessing about one hour? Is it necessary to go with a 32GB?(8 hours?)

All the talk about SD card errors reminded me of the old days when DVD burners created coaster, depending on what type/brand of black DVD-R you used. :)

I've been doing a lot of DVR modifications. (home satellite TV HD DVRs) For example, upgrading stock 500GB or 1TB hard drives to 2TB to get more recording time.

WD has hard drives that are built for DVR video recording. Unlike regular hard drives, these drive deliberately ignore read/write errors because it's not critical for DVR video purposes. During normal video recording/playback, it never skips a beat because a couple of missed frames is not important when you're watching TV. (a few missed frames out of an hour or two of video makes very little difference)

I wonder if there are MicroSD cards built with similar functions. Dash cams record videos constantly, just like a TV DVR. If the cards are designed to ignore occasional recording errors, it should be easier on the dash cams. Perhaps the Sandisk MicroSD cards are designed to correct errors, which actually causes more problem is the dash cam is recording and erasing constantly? Just a guess.... :)

Last edited:
Do you have a battery discharge limiter on the always powered side? Any concerns about running the car battery down with the switch in the always on position?

No I don't have a discharge limiter. I'm guessing it would take several days to drain a car battery with just the dash cam on but I don't know that for sure. I don't plan on using the "always on" mode very often or for extended periods of time so I haven't done any research on the limiters or other solutions that might be out there.

RegistratorViewer will show which files are locked
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
Certainly looks like an issue with it being switched on and off, see what givoe say, probably won't get an answer for a while due to the holidays over there.

Can Registrator read GPS data on video shot with the 0801 with GPS? I ran a few sample video but they didn't come up on the map in the Registrator.

Yes, place RegistratorViewer.exe on the root of your microSD card. Launch it from there and it will auto import ALL video clips and related .log files from the GPS folder. Hit F3 to enable google maps view.

Yes, place RegistratorViewer.exe on the root of your microSD card. Launch it from there and it will auto import ALL video clips and related .log files from the GPS folder. Hit F3 to enable google maps view.

So I'm guessing this won't work with the sameple video that you posted a couple of pages back? :( I just wanted to test it to see how it works. Thanks!

does anybody know where I can download the the manual in PDF format?

Thanks! :)

I went ahead and updated the firmware of my newest 0801 from 20130903 to 20130905. I let it record the last 6 hours on the Class 4 32GB card so it's for sure full since it's using the larger 17Mbps now. I pulled the usb wire off, it auto shut down. I plugged it back in, it turned on, auto recorded as usual.
Minutes later I got:
"STORAGE IO ERROR"
(and it stopped recording)

I tried again, and then got "LOW SPEED CARD" only 19 seconds into it (and it stopped recording!)
r5UNdbVl.jpg

This is really annoying :-(
I'll send a detailed message to Lia at Givoe but they are on the long holiday shut down. We might not get any new firmware's to try for a few weeks.

I'm gong to try the 4GB card again for awhile.

Last edited:
I'll send a detailed message to Lia at Givoe but they are on the long holiday shut down. We might not get any new firmware's to try for a few weeks.

I'm gong to try the 4GB card again for awhile.

Is this the same Givoe that sells on AliExpress? Does this card problem affect 0801 from e-Prance?

Since USA Vendor SpyTech inc now carries the Mini 0801,

haven't they been selling the 0801 for a while already? Their website showed almost 500 sold already....?

Is this the same Givoe that sells on AliExpress? Does this card problem affect 0801 from e-Prance?

yes Givoe on AliEpress (the same buy link on the mini 0801 FAQ page)
The e-Prance acts the same unfortunately. I'm still trying more combinations of firmware and microSD cards.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back