Dash is being picked up on cam even with no sun

Buy a black dash mat. It will cure the problem and protect your dashboard as well. I recommend the faux brushed suede type like in the photo below.
Some will recommend a CPL (circular polarizer), which is another option for dealing with dashboard reflections on the windscreen. (I know a CPL has been in the works for the A119 but I am not sure if it is yet available.)

Using both a dash mat and a CPL is the most effective approach but not necessary.

dashmat.jpg

Last edited:
I briefly looked at buying a dash mat here in the UK. I found one ebay.au (Australia) for my car at £35 plus £18 postage.

£35 seems about right but the £18 postage seems rather dear.

Others in the UK have bought dash mats so maybe someone can recommend a good source without the steep shipping.

I'm also a bit worried about it covering what I think is an air vent and tbh I don't like how those mats look from the google pics. Did some googling and cant find any for my car model yet. Guess I will wait for the filter thingy.

I'm also a bit worried about it covering what I think is an air vent and tbh I don't like how those mats look from the google pics. Did some googling and cant find any for my car model yet. Guess I will wait for the filter thingy.

A dash mat made for your vehicle will have cut-outs for the vents.

I was going to lay some fabric on the dash but realised the vents used for demisting would be covered - and they are indeed part of the problem with reflections.
Maybe an option is to have a flap in the fabric above the vent that normally lays flat but is pushed away when the blower is on.

But that's the bit that is most visible lol kinda defeats the point of it.

No, that's not quite how this works. The goal is to prevent reflections on the windscreen within the FOV of the road in front of your vehicle. Any other extraneous reflections, say from your defroster vent that may still reflect because they are revealed by cut-outs in your dash mat will be confined to the area of your hood (bonnet), not the roadway in front of you and will therefore be irrelevant to the primary documentation you want from a dash cam.

road-dust.jpg

Last edited:
No, that's not quite how this works. The goal is to prevent reflections on the windscreen within the FOV in front of your vehicle. Any other extraneous reflections, say from your defroster vent that may still reflect because they are revealed by cut-outs in your dash mat will be confined to the area of your hood (bonnet), not the roadway in front of you and will therefore be irrelevant to the primary documentation you want from a dash cam.
A dashmat probably won't fix his problem. Did you notice how far beyond the bonnet the vent's reflection is? If it can't be covered then it'll always appear on video. And then there's that GPS... :rolleyes:

A dashmat probably won't fix his problem. Did you notice how far beyond the bonnet the vent's reflection is? If it can't be covered then it'll always appear on video. And then there's that GPS... :rolleyes:

Based on my experience now with the dash mat and what I see in the image I think it would help quite a bit. The part beyond the bonnet is the reflection the dash mat will fix. That's the whole idea. When I installed the dash mat a year ago I was hoping it would help to a degree but I've been amazed at how effective it is. It made the use of a CPL, even with the reflection prone SG9665GC basically superfluous. Beyond that I also thought it would look hideous in my vehicle but it was surprisingly smart looking.

@ghggfffr, you might benefit from putting some black cloth or a dark towel across your dash board temporarily just to get a brief feel for how well a dash mat might work for you.

Ok this is just stupid. Gave it a try at night and you can see the radio and me steering. -.- is this normal?

Yes, it's normal, especially with a wedge shaped camera like the A119 that has the lens so close to glass. It is also highly dependent on the particular car with a particular windscreen with particular rake and curvature. The design and shape of the dashboard also has a big influence.

I have to laugh giant satnav in the middle of my screen in the day, UFOs in the sky at night. :D:D

One can be a little creative with a strategically placed spot of black tape or black felt or whatever in situations like this. Try a CPL and or dash mat first and go from there.

On my vehicle on a spot that the dash mat didn't quite cover but still reflected I used a small rectangle of black flocked material of the type often used as blackout material in photographic studios. (similar to the lining used in telescope tubes). Worked great and looks fine on the dash as it goes well with the dash mat.

Last edited:
Anyone got any ideas what to do?

This is funny. I had exactly the same problem. Aside from all the discussions, waste of time in my opinion, I added a CPL filter and no further issues. Simple.

I bought a magnet and washer, filed down a washer edge, painted black, and taped a polarizing film to the washer. Two sided tape sticks the magnet to the A119 and the washer clips on. Works great, and very little effort. See my other postings.

I use the CPL all the time now with my A119. No more crazy reflections.

This is funny. I had exactly the same problem. Aside from all the discussions, waste of time in my opinion, I added a CPL filter and no further issues. Simple.

I bought a magnet and washer, filed down a washer edge, painted black, and taped a polarizing film to the washer. Two sided tape sticks the magnet to the A119 and the washer clips on. Works great, and very little effort. See my other postings.

I use the CPL all the time now with my A119. No more crazy reflections.

Simple? Sounds like a project.

Back