[Solved] Git1 is not a reliable dash cam

gngan

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Dash Cam
Git1 & Git2
I've been using Git1 as dash cam for 6+ months. For the first 3 months, everything was great and I was really happy with it. Now, it would not always start when I unlock my car (when I unlock the car...it would provide electricity to the 12v). The Git1 will go to a white screen showing it's charging the battery. I have to manually turn on it then it would auto record. This defects the purpose of using it as dash cam. All setting were same which works in previous months. I tried the beta 1.4 firmware and it's the same. Anyone having the same issue?

***********SOLUTION***********

In case anyone comes here with the same issue I was having...here's the solution.

TURN OFF motion detect if you want to use it as Dash Cam via USB/12v.

Last edited:
1) Some car chargers to usb socket have built in function for computer mode, i have a car charger that makes my git beleive its connected to a computer, try to change the car charger and see what happens.
2) Make sure that the car auto start mode is enabled in camera settings
3) Make sure your car charger provides 1. 0 a, dont know if it would help but maybe lower ampere wont start the camera in recording?
Good luck and report back :)

Last edited:
1) Some car chargers to usb socket have built in function for computer mode, i have a car charger that makes my git beleive its connected to a computer, try to change the car charger and see what happens.
2) Make sure that the car auto start mode is enabled in camera settings
3) Make sure your car charger provides 1. 0 a, dont know if it would help but maybe lower ampere wont start the camera in recording?
Good luck and report back :)
Agree and thanks.
Be sure only supply 5V to the Git1 camera instead of 12V.

It looks like the USB cable has been changed. Try a "dummy" cable that only has +/- wires connected (no data wires).

Agree and thanks.
Be sure only supply 5V to the Git1 camera instead of 12V.

Tried it with 2 different cables and it's still happening.

I using Anker 24W two USB charger. It is 5V/4.8A (Max). Updated to firmware 1.4 too.

Last edited:
Change your usb charger, or use mini usb cable without data line... .......

Tried it with 2 different cables and it's still happening.

I using Anker 24W two USB charger. It is 5V/4.8A (Max). Updated to firmware 1.4 too.

Used a charge only cable and it's not recording when I turn on my car. The cam would 'try' to record (with record light and wanting to do the on screen counting) then stops at 0 seconds and goes back to live screen mode without recording. Then the screen off kicks in after 10 seconds and the screen goes to white with battery charging logo. Tried resetting to default setting and set up all the usual stuff (loop recording, auto on/off, etc) but still the same.

I love the product but is very disappointed with it.

have you tested the card?

What do you mean by test? It works with my GoPro and it records with Git1 when I manually press the record button. I also format it in Git1 this morning.

test the card with software in your PC like h2testw

what other cards have you tried in the Git1?

test the card with software in your PC like h2testw

what other cards have you tried in the Git1?

I initially used a SanDisk class 4 then bought the Samsung to replace it.

I highly doubt it's a card issue because it records fine when I manually press the record button.

card or power supply are the two most likely culprits
You are right. Tried to power up the Git1 at home and it records everytime i plug it to a wall plug.

Any idea why the Anker 2 x USB isn't working even thought it's supporting 5V/4.8A

gngan, as mentioned several times. Change your car charger to an 1 A, and be sure the car charger is not "smart". I dont beleive you tried it, and probably even did not check if its a data line mini usb cable or just power...............

For the billiont time.
Solution 1: Change your car charger to one that is not SMART. (Best choice 1 a for the git-camera)..
Solution 2: Test with a QUALITY mini usb cable that just have power and not data..

You are right. Tried to power up the Git1 at home and it records everytime i plug it to a wall plug.

Any idea why the Anker 2 x USB isn't working even thought it's supporting 5V/4.8A

it might have a bit of a dip in power when the camera first starts, could also be the cable, a lot of cables have very low spec wiring and degrade quite quickly so can work fine for a few months then develop enough resistance that there can be sufficient current drop to then cause a problem

I think Jokin has it. Anker makes very good P/S's and I seriously doubt there's a problem with it unless you got a fake somehow. They are much better than almost all factory P/S's :) Smart P/S's respond to differing input on the data lines; dashcams don't activate that circuitry so you don't need a 'smart charger' but it shouldn't matter as without that data input they default to 5VDC. My Anker does 2.4A total on 2 ports and will reliably start and run 2 cams.

Cables are a different story and the cheap ones can degrade to useless in a month. Monoprice isn't cheap but has very good cables which will last for years. GIGO applies to dashcams too ;)

Phil

there's two main issues with the cables, first is wire gauge that is barely adequate for anything longer than about a 50cm cable, the second bigger problem is the rampant use of CCA (copper coated aluminum) wire, looks like copper wire but is just a coating, what happens when you use dissimilar metals is that they corrode so they work fine for a while and then as the wire starts to eat away at itself resistance increases amperage drops enough for whatever it is powering to start to become unreliable, the cable is rarely looked at as being the culprit as it is considered by most to be a passive device so quite often overlooked during the debugging process

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it.

This morning, I went to my car and test it with different charging ports. I have two 12v (Anker and Pisen <- Chinese brand). Both of them isn't working properly (i.e. when power the Git1...it wouldn't auto start recording). Then I tried the USB port in the armrest...it also wouldn't auto start recording. So it maybe the cable.

I am located in HK and buying from Amazon US is not viable cause the shipping fee is expensive.

Jokiin, I see that you are in Shenzhen .... do you know any TaoBao seller that sells good/reliable cable? Or website that sells reliable cable with reasonable shipping fee to HK?

gngan, as mentioned several times. Change your car charger to an 1 A, and be sure the car charger is not "smart". I dont beleive you tried it, and probably even did not check if its a data line mini usb cable or just power...............

For the billiont time.
Solution 1: Change your car charger to one that is not SMART. (Best choice 1 a for the git-camera)..
Solution 2: Test with a QUALITY mini usb cable that just have power and not data..

I don't think the Anker I have is a SMART charger. This is the one i have (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875893018). The Anker is label as 4.8A MAX so it shouldn't have any problem firing Git 1. Unless you mean it's giving too much power?

I have already modify the cable and tested that it's only giving power and not data.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
xmyladylostx Git1 11
T Git1 7
M Git1 8
M Git1 4
C Git1 10
Back