Mobius 2 vs Foxeer Legend 2 - low light conditions

djdog

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Dear friends,i want to buy a discreet cam and i am between these 2 models.
Which one performs better in low light conditions?
I have read many forums and i have seen all the videos posted in youtube,but i haven't decided which one is better.
Does anyone have them both and made a comparison?
I have read that foxeer updated the software and added ISO 3200 option,but mentioned that picture becomes grainy.
I have also seen a guy in youtube,that changes some values in the mobius 2 and makes the camera perform better in low light.
But unfortunately there is not any video with straight comparison between these 2 models :(

So guys..any help deciding?
Thank you!

@dirkzelf might be able to offer some thoughts as he has a Legend 2
As a Mobius 1 & 2 owner I'd currently recommend the M1 over the M2, though neither is great in low light. At the moment there's not much you can change in the M2 to make it perform better, other than choose between 1080p30, 1080p30WDR or 1080p60.

This guy here,made some changes through the pc software and improved low light performance in mobius 2
And mobius 2 has noticeable improvement in low light against mobius 1

All he did was switch between the 3 modes I mentioned above.
1080p30WDR is generally better than 1080p30 when there is enough light and the subjects are not moving fast. When you put it in a car the combined exposure of a fast moving scene from two frames makes a bit of a mess and loses lots of detail.

Last edited:
@dirkzelf might be able to offer some thoughts as he has a Legend 2
As a Mobius 1 & 2 owner I'd currently recommend the M1 over the M2, though neither is great in low light. At the moment there's not much you can change in the M2 to make it perform better, other than choose between 1080p30, 1080p30WDR or 1080p60.

Legend 2 is not good enough for night recording. I'm talking to Foxeer now on how to get it doing better, but they have raised video ISO from 1600 to 3200,bit no significant improvement. Maybe it just needs another lens, I. E. F1. 8 or there about.

Best until now for night recording is the JooVuu X cam.

Hmmmm...Joovuu X is one more option.,,Same form factor,but unfortunately bigger size than Foxee and mobius :(
That's why i didn't mentioned it from the beginning...But if it is the best in low light..
I think i am confused now...lol

Hmmmm...Joovuu X is one more option.,,Same form factor,but unfortunately bigger size than Foxee and mobius :(
That's why i didn't mentioned it from the beginning...But if it is the best in low light..

If your First concern is recording in lowlight conditions then You should really choose for the JooVuu. It May be Slightly bigger but if you use it Only for dash cam, It is still very much discrete.

I do not Own a mobius 2, but I don't think that it is any better than the JooVuu in low light. Joovuu has much more features like timed mode, HDR, cinema format (21:9), 2K and 4K recording. Besides its a European (UK) product, so you'll have short lines and fast support in understandable English....

JooVuu also supplies a tailor made CPL lens filter, and a car charger/power cable with GPS module built in...... and WiFi for changing settings on the go.

Just Do yourself a favor and buy the joovuu x camera. Believe It is right now on sale

If you would like to see some examples of mobius and joovuu low light recording, checkout YouTube examples.

Last edited:
Dear dikzelf,thank you for your replies and your effort..
I have watched many youtube videos (also yours) but unfortunately there is not any straight comparison between these 3 cameras..
To be honest my first concern is size,because i don't want to use it only as a dashcam..Otherwise,after the video samples i saw (especially your night footage with Joovuu),i would have already ordered Joovuu!!
BUT..size...Hmmm..Joovuu is really big compared to mobius or Foxee..
I have already owned the past years,4 different "key chain" 808 cameras..Then i moved to the first mobius (early model-many problems before software updates),so i bought the sony as30v which i found in a bargain price..
Sony was ok..but i didn't really like the form factor..Same thing happened with Sjcam M20,which i bought few months ago and sold it almost immediatelly..By the way,M20 had terrible low light performance..The produced video had nothing to do with what you could see through the screen live viewer on the back of the cam..And i really tried any possible combinations from the settings menu..

The last year i have watched numerous youtube videos of tiny cams footage...Runcam 1 and 2,Foxeer Legend 1,Hetai,polaroid cube+ but none of them satisfied me..(except maybe polaroid cube+ which had good low light performance but terrible sound).

I think that Mobius 2,Foxeer 2,have improved low light performance compared to their prodecessors..And of course Joovuu X performs even better..
BUT...SIZE is a problem..i want a discreet camera and Joovvuu X is not..If Mobius 2 is better than Foxeer 2,it is going to be my pick for now ;)

BUT...SIZE is a problem..i want a discreet camera and Joovvuu X is not..If Mobius 2 is better than Foxeer 2,it is going to be my pick for now ;)
Joovuu X 72(L) x 42(W) x 18(H)
Mobius 2 64(L) x 36(W) x 18(H)
Foxeer 2 67(L) x 39(W) x 17(H)
Hardly anything between them - I'd say they are all discreet compared to anything with a screen

Dear dikzelf,thank you for your replies and your effort..
I have watched many youtube videos (also yours) but unfortunately there is not any straight comparison between these 3 cameras..
To be honest my first concern is size,because i don't want to use it only as a dashcam..Otherwise,after the video samples i saw (especially your night footage with Joovuu),i would have already ordered Joovuu!!
I have already owned the past years,4 different "key chain" 808 cameras..Then i moved to the first mobius (early model-many problems before software updates),so i bought the sony as30v which i found in a bargain price..
Sony was ok..but i didn't really like the form factor..Same thing happened with Sjcam M20,which i bought few months ago and sold it almost immediatelly..By the way,M20 had terrible low light performance..The produced video had nothing to do with what you could see through the screen live viewer on the back of the cam..And i really tried any possible combinations from the settings menu..

The last year i have watched numerous youtube videos of tiny cams footage...Runcam 1 and 2,Foxeer Legend 1,Hetai,polaroid cube+ but none of them satisfied me..(except maybe polaroid cube+ which had good low light performance but terrible sound).

I think that Mobius 2,Foxeer 2,have improved low light performance compared to their prodecessors..And of course Joovuu X performs even better..

You're welcome. If you need to choose between mobius 2 and Foxeer, then maybe for low light Mobius is somewhat better, but what goes for the features of the joovuu also goes for the Foxeer L2. And Foxeer is working on better night performance (ie collecting more light). You may want to wait a few weeks to know about the improvements and decide then.

2K, 4K, extensive number of interesting settings go to choose from, and Foxeer is pretty quick with answers, however new updates for bugs and new / improved features could be a bit quicker to my taste, but when it releases it's all OK.

What I would really miss in M2 is the WiFi, you'd be surprised to see how often you use it when on the go...

Although Mobius has a vast array of users and support groups, and it is very friendly to hobbyists that want to try other lenses and what not, if I would have to choose RIGHT now, JOOVUU X ftw!!

What i don't really like in Mobius,is the overall build and design quality..It looks less "professional"...It's like is made from hobbyists for hobbyists..Foxeer,Joovuu,Runcam and all the other cameras in the same form factor (which mobius introduced),added many extra features that Mobius unfortunately didn't in the new model.
We were expecting wifi or an hdmi out,but nothing came out..And if you want to configure the settings,you have to do it through a pc..People that buy Mobius don't really care what is the chip inside???..Ambarella?..Novatek??..HiSilicon?..Else?..What lenses?..What aperture.. or what sensor uses?...They mostly interested in modification??!..
(Does anybody knows about the chip and sensor of Mobius 2?I couldn't find any information on the net,except that the aperture is F2.1 if i am not wrong)

So..All these facts are a drawback for me...I also miss the wifi,the hdmi out or the easy change of settings with my smartphone..
BUT,discreet size and image quality in low light is the most important..

Now..About Foxeer..Do you think that software,i mean a new update can make L2 perform in low light similar to Joovuu?

Now..About Foxeer..Do you think that software,i mean a new update can make L2 perform inlow light similar to Joovuu?

Tbh I don't think so, JooVuu has Ambarella and that's hard to beat for low light...

I'd expect it to be in the Mobius sort of ballpark when they improved night recording with WDR and low light settings, but the real thing to consider is how does it perform WHEN YOU BUY IT.

When I first saw my night recordings with the JooVuu I was really extatic, I could have never believed it was this good. Of course now I'm used to it, but still everytime I start to doubt, I just take a Mobius 1 or Foxeer L2 to compare to put my mind at ease.... what does that tell you éh.

Software can do something, but in the end it all comes down to the built in hardware, lenses and image sensors. Software can not improve optics, since, well, it's hardware..... hope you understand what I mean. It can brighten up your image a little, but it wont make it sharper, it can maximum show you what is already detected through the lens and sensors, but it can't make it even better.....

Well...i think that "case closed"..i want to thank all of you,especially dirkzelf for the help.
Joovuu X will be my next cam !

P.S what is the "normal charger" that joovuu charge 5 pounds?..Is it just the usb cable,or a charger?(if yes..is it a wall charger or car charger?
I mean if i buy the "no charger" package,there will be a usb cable in the box that i can use with any usb charger or a usb port in my laptop?

If I'd been able to read this discussion 2 months ago I would probably have bought the X instead of my M2. As it is, I have the M2 now so I'm going to try and get the best out of it that I can.

Well...i think that "case closed"..i want to thank all of you,especially dirkzelf for the help.

P.S what is the "normal charger" that joovuu charge 5 pounds?..Is it just the usb cable,or a charger?(if yes..is it a wall charger or car charger?
I mean if i buy the "no charger" package,there will be a usb cable in the box that i can use with any usb charger or a usb port in my laptop?

Welcome to the JooVuu X Family!

The normal charger is just a standard cigarette lighter charger. The no charger comes with a USB cable but no charger :).

Cheers,

Received and shipped. We'll get the tracking number to you shortly!

Glad I could help. Great choice. JooVuu X and their team won't let you down, that's for sure!

:cool:

Back