Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Ok, so I let my newest 0801 (with internal) record for many hours until it was full. (Black 32GB Sandisk Class 4 from Amazon) This was manually formated in windows picking 64k cluster size.

Well it shut down after it got full. When I turn it back on, it starts recording for maybe 10 seconds and then errors out with:
"LOW SPEED CARD"

I'll try the Red/Grey 32GB Sandisk Class 10 card next also formatted manually in windows to 64k.
Filling up now in my bedroom

Still on 20130911 (CX4)

It's kind of silly at this point but it's all I can do until we get the 20130913 or 20130922 firmware. (or newer yet)

Last edited:
Sorry for the newbie question, if you just use the internal memory and not plug in your own SD card, does the fillup problem still occur? does it cycle correctly?
I'm just wondering if its even useable (with limited internal memory) if I order one now.
Thanks!

Ok, so I let my newest 0801 (with internal) record for many hours until it was full. (Black 32GB Sandisk Class 4 from Amazon) This was manually formated in windows picking 64k cluster size.

Well it shut down after it got full. When I turn it back on, it starts recording for maybe 10 seconds and then errors out with:
"LOW SPEED CARD"

I'll try the Red/Grey 32GB Sandisk Class 10 card next also formatted manually in windows to 64k.
Filling up now in my bedroom

Still on 20130911 (CX4)

It's kind of silly at this point but it's all I can do until we get the 20130913 or 20130922 firmware. (or newer yet)

Class 10 Card failed on 20130911 (and it wasn't even full yet)

Sorry for the newbie question, if you just use the internal memory and not plug in your own SD card, does the fillup problem still occur? does it cycle correctly?
I'm just wondering if its even useable (with limited internal memory) if I order one now.
Thanks!

Even internal card failed but it was on an older firmware, so I haven't even tried it in awhile actually. I'll go ahead and test it again on 20130911. (recording/filling now) Stand by for results.

Again I really want to be on 20130922, I hope the engineers get back to Lia/Givoe soon. I know they are all busy ramping for the big trade show though. (and just out of a long holiday)

Demi from e-prance (ebay) responded.

"Hello My Dear Jon~

long time so see, miss you so much. if you opened the Loop recording? If you use it, the new file will replace the old file when the memory is full. would you pls tell me this first?

Waiting for your reply.

Best regards,
Demi

- e-prance"

"Hi Demi!

Yes "Loop Setting" was/is set to 1min, I also tried 5min. (all the same)

Everything I explained in my last message only happens when the card is full and loop mode is actively overwriting older files. I confirmed the numbers keep climbing higher and lower numbers are erased.

Several NEW 0801 owners said their camera came with 20130922. I like to try that one or newer please.

Thanks again and welcome back!
~Jon"

P.S. what's with the Chinese translation for "opened" being used instead of the word "enabled" (anyone that knows Chinese have a guess?)
Maybe I should let them know to correct their terminology especially if they bring the GYI setting GPS open/closed option back (confusing for newbies)

P.S. what's with the Chinese translation for "opened" being used instead of the word "enabled" (anyone that knows Chinese have a guess?)
Maybe I should let them know to correct their terminology especially if they bring the GYI setting GPS open/closed option back (confusing for newbies)

Yeah in Chinese, the words to describe "open" and "close", can also be used for "on" and "off". Just tell Demi to start using "on" and "off" in place of "open" and "close". That will make more sense to non-Chinese speaking (more accurately Mandarin) people.

Response from Demi at e-prance

YES, when the card is full and loop mode is actively overwriting older files. this is the function, not a problem, if you need to save your old files, you can download your files to you pc when the card is about to full.

the new firmware is exist, and we need to contact with the factury if your item can use the latest firmware and we need to do a test ourselves and then i can send you the new one, is it ok for you? if you have problems, you can add my skype: xxxxx

Regards,
Demi"

"Thanks Demi, yes please send me the latest firmware when it's ready. Many others have confirmed they have same issues once the card is full the camera will error out, stop recording and or shut down. It happens on all sizes and speeds of cards too. The only work around is to keep formatting the card to prevent recycle mode form kicking in. We would all like the camera to be a set it and forget it rock solid appliance. (and know we can count on the camera recording day after day in loop)
Thanks for the Skype, I don't mind chatting through ebay messages, but if Skype is easier for chatting directly I'll add you.

P.S. in Chinese, the word to describe "open" and "close", can also be used for "on" and "off". You should start using "on" and "off" in place of "open" and "close". That will make more sense to non-Chinese speaking (more accurately Mandarin) people. Enabled or Disabled works too.

Standing by and ready to test new firmwares,
~Jon"

Reactions: Jim
Yeah in Chinese, the words to describe "open" and "close", can also be used for "on" and "off". Just tell Demi to start using "on" and "off" in place of "open" and "close". That will make more sense to non-Chinese speaking (more accurately Mandarin) people.
good idea. will forward your suggestion to engineer.

Last edited by a moderator:
here are the setting GUI images for your reference, FW ver 20130913
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg
we will ask the engineer to change the OPEN/CLOSE in GPS tab to be ON/OFF in next version

Excellent! Thanks for joining the forum, We are all DashCam enthusiasts and want to make the Mini 0801 be the best it can be!

Response from Demi / e-prance

"hehe, lol , you are cute,make me laugh, ok, i will use on and off in future, thanks for teaching me this. And forgot to ask you, pls tell me the firmware you use right now, it is important to me. tks, Jon.
regards,
Demi"

(I let her know all the details)

LOL, what was that JazJon, flirtatious emails now? Next there will be "I love you, you love me" in the emails. Haha, just kidding :p

• GIVOE Lia:

02:08 Oct 08,2013

check message at all, thank you Jon,
    we will ask factory test it, if have problem will improve it,
    thank you for giving me such detailed explanation,
    also factory give us 0924 FW, but now engineer very busy.
    So later I will send it to you. OK?
    I will updated information, when every thing goes well, now have many items need to deal with. >.<
    Have a nice day^.^
    Lia

• Me:

02:22 Oct 08,2013

Hi Lia,
      Thanks!
      Please send me 0924 at your earliest convenience.
      I understand everyone is busy gearing up for the big trade show in Hong Kong next week. (so no rush, but very anxious)
      Take care for now,
      ~Jon

• GIVOE Lia:
      02:33 Oct 08,2013
      icon_new.png

Thank you Jon,O(∩_∩)O

Last edited:
From: http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....r-dvr-a-k-a-mini-0801.1001/page-56#post-28671
Does your G sensor calibration menu option work? Mine says please keep machine still and does nothing.

The following makes sense why our 0801 on a CX4 20130911 firmware works for recording in general, but the G-sensor calibration doesn't do anything.

Apparently the various builds sometimes changes the G-sensor to another model because of a supply issue, so there are two versions of 0801. The un-compatible CX4 firmware may cause more problems. I was told to be careful which firmwares are shared. That's why it's best we contact the re-seller we got it from directly for any firmware updates since 4 manufacturing factories are authorized on this model.

In my case I have one from e-prance (ebay) and one from Givoe (aliexpress) So that's why I'm asking them both at once if anyone is wondering.

For anyone testing the CX4 20130911 firmware, it was suggested by Jokiin that maybe we should try disabling the G-Sensor and see if anything changes. It's worth a shot until we get our hands on 0922 or 0924

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told to be careful which firmwares are shared. That's why it's best we contact the re-seller we got it from directly for any firmware updates

this is always good advice, with any camera there can be different hardware revisions and firmware is not always compatible to other same looking devices

this is always good advice, with any camera there can be different hardware revisions and firmware is not always compatible to other same looking devices

Well I think it's pretty clear most of us on this forum are ready to live on the wild side. It's fun experimenting with new firmwares in hope of improvement. :) I need to look at all this as a challenge rather than get frustrated. We're almost there I sense it.

Well I think it's pretty clear most of us on this forum are ready to live on the wild side. It's fun experimenting with new firmwares in hope of improvement. :) I need to look at all this as a challenge rather than get frustrated. We're almost there I sense it.

as long as you have an original firmware for your product to be able to rollback to it's usually ok, Ambarella based cameras are particularly resilient to bricking

I CAN testify. I bricked mine.
The unbrick process is tricky because of the custom cable but the other steps are easy.

I CAN testify. I bricked mine.
The unbrick process is tricky because of the custom cable but the other steps are easy.

Depends on the source of the camera how troublesome this might be, for some it comes with the required cable, at least its possible to diy a cable though

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back