Shadow GT680W

After I post side by side videos of gt680w vs ls300w, you see they have same day / night video quality.
Gt680w has wider FOV which can be good and bad depending on a situation but not that much significance.
Also size of gt680w is 1/3 smaller than ls300w-type dash cams.
Only thing for now i see can be different, is full matt black body, Instead of silver lens ring, but its an easy home diy job to cover with a black electrical tape or use plasti dip paint ( or similar paint ).

Thanks very much for the initial test videos Niko.. they look good! :)

I've just received my GT680W yesterday and will upload my videos once I installed it in my car... Can't wait to see if the video and FOV is better than my GT300W!

A
Also size of gt680w is 1/3 smaller than ls300w-type dash cams.
Only thing for now i see can be different, is full matt black body, Instead of silver lens ring, but its an easy home diy job to cover with a black electrical tape or use plasti dip paint ( or similar paint ).

The size of the GT680W is 8cm (W), 4.8cm (H) and 3cm (D; body and lens).

I tried the black permanent marker pen on the silvery parts, and the black ink holds.. so a very basic and quick touch up way is to the black marker pens to cover up all the "bling bling" parts.. but I haven't put the cam under the hot sun, so i wont know if the black ink will melt or run if the car interior temp gets too hot... will post here again once this cam is installed in the car..

BTW, has anyone hooked up the GPS module to this cam? I saw that the GPS wire is long and need to hide it somewhere, or else it'll get in the way on the windscreen.. Also, does any one know or have an idea if we can hook up the GPS module to a suction cup holder, instead of using the stick on.. I dun wanna damage the car film when I need to remove the GPS for some reason...

Hi Henry, You stay in JB ah? haha.. :D

Your uploaded video is low resolution? Looks dark and not sharp... unlike Niko videos which I think is at Full HD...

hi jchantw.... yup, i stay at JB
i also curious how come my video not sharp enough... my setting oso 1080HD
i have tinted my windscreen with 70% VLT... any bro can help me? thx

The size of the GT680W is 8cm (W), 4.8cm (H) and 3cm (D; body and lens).

I tried the black permanent marker pen on the silvery parts, and the black ink holds.. so a very basic and quick touch up way is to the black marker pens to cover up all the "bling bling" parts.. but I haven't put the cam under the hot sun, so i wont know if the black ink will melt or run if the car interior temp gets too hot... will post here again once this cam is installed in the car..

BTW, has anyone hooked up the GPS module to this cam? I saw that the GPS wire is long and need to hide it somewhere, or else it'll get in the way on the windscreen.. Also, does any one know or have an idea if we can hook up the GPS module to a suction cup holder, instead of using the stick on.. I dun wanna damage the car film when I need to remove the GPS for some reason...

Permanent marker is also a good idea.
I hide mine GPS module antenna long cable under ceiling liner and gps antenna "head" you can attach with double sided tape to the top part of rearview mirror bracket, the one between windshield and mirror, hope you know what I mean.

hi jchantw.... yup, i stay at JB
i also curious how come my video not sharp enough... my setting oso 1080HD
i have tinted my windscreen with 70% VLT... any bro can help me? thx

Have you removed a transparent lens protective film ?

Have you removed a transparent lens protective film ?

Just compared mine and your videos and I can see that mine have yellow letters on bottom left corner, yours is white. So probably you have an older firmware version or something. As from very beginning of this thread I have mentioned from taobao.com seller sharing raw video files with 12.5Mbps, - probably you got that one ? These are probably from very first bunch, but I suppose later manufacturer made changes in firmware.

Permanent marker is also a good idea.
I hide mine GPS module antenna long cable under ceiling liner and gps antenna "head" you can attach with double sided tape to the top part of rearview mirror bracket, the one between windshield and mirror, hope you know what I mean.

Thanks Niko! That was brilliant! ;) Good way to hide the bulky GPS! I'll do it tonight and hopefully will get everything up and running soon!

Q1 : How can we check our own videos to see if it was recorded in 15Mbps?

Q2 : Also, whats your firmware version? Mine is V 2.4G. Do you know who will release future firmware updates? Foxoffer? or someone else?

Q3 : I had set the photo camera settings, but it seems like once I turn off and then on the car cam again, the photo camera settings return to default settings. Is your GT680W like this too?

Thanks for your advice again !

Thanks Niko! That was brilliant! ;) Good way to hide the bulky GPS! I'll do it tonight and hopefully will get everything up and running soon!

Q1 : How can we check our own videos to see if it was recorded in 15Mbps?

Q2 : Also, whats your firmware version? Mine is V 2.4G. Do you know who will release future firmware updates? Foxoffer? or someone else?

Q3 : I had set the photo camera settings, but it seems like once I turn off and then on the car cam again, the photo camera settings return to default settings. Is your GT680W like this too?

Thanks for your advice again !

I will check mine firmware later on.

About how to check video bit-rate, - on your PC click right mouse button on the video file, small menu windows will pop, frome there at the bottom of the menu click on "properties", then click "details".

Mine camera settings always stay after turn off. Maybe earlier firmware issue ? Contact vendor with this problem.

I will check mine firmware later on.

About how to check video bit-rate, - on your PC click right mouse button on the video file, small menu windows will pop, frome there at the bottom of the menu click on "properties", then click "details".

Mine camera settings always stay after turn off. Maybe earlier firmware issue ? Contact vendor with this problem.

Thanks for your advice.. I can't find the details you mentioned, and instead used the bitrate program from this website : http://www.winhoros.de/docs/bitrate-viewer/.. great piece of software...!

I have seen my videos and they contain the same yellow wordings as yours, so I guess we have the same batch car cams... i relooked at the photo camera settings and all are saved, except for the resolution which defaults back to 5Mb everytime ( I set it as 12MB initially).. annoying but still livable...

Have u tried the GPS yet? Any issue to the map viewing and GPS data and timing accuracy?

if the resolution setting you're referring to is for the photos menu you'll likely find that the results are not as good at 12mp anyway as that would be an interpolated (software) resolution anyway, if there is a 3mp setting this would give the optimal results

if the resolution setting you're referring to is for the photos menu you'll likely find that the results are not as good at 12mp anyway as that would be an interpolated (software) resolution anyway, if there is a 3mp setting this would give the optimal results

Hi Jokiin,

Thanks very much for your advice.. it sounds more reasonable.. the pictures dont look very sharp too...

I checked mine firmware is v2.5, yellow letters firmware. Ordered with gps module.
White letters is v2.4, but I am not sure if 12Mbps bit-rate is related to being with non gps module and with gps module (v2.5 ) with yellow letters gps version 15Mbps ? Need to wait for an answers from foxoffer to clarify.

20131008_073235.jpg

I checked mine firmware is v2.5, yellow letters firmware. Ordered with gps module.
White letters is v2.4, but I am not sure if 12Mbps bit-rate is related to being with non gps module and with gps module (v2.5 ) with yellow letters gps version 15Mbps ? Need to wait for an answers from foxoffer to clarify.

View attachment 1613

I hv removed the lens protective film and mine firmware is V.1 only... :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 26
I hv removed the lens protective film and mine firmware is V.1 only... :(

You have even diffetent menu interface than mine.
I guess you ordered without gps module, right?

You have even diffetent menu interface than mine.
I guess you ordered without gps module, right?

Yup... Mine without GPS module... When I place order, the GPS module version haven't release yet...

Yup... Mine without GPS module... When I place order, the GPS module version haven't release yet...

I dont want to speculate, but its might be a case that model with no gps has different menu interface with lower bit-rate 12Mbps, and with gps it has other menu graphics + 15Mbps?
But this is only my suggestions. Best is to wait and see what foxoffer can say.
From point of reading vital details like numberplates

I dont want to speculate, but its might be a case that model with no gps has different menu interface with lower bit-rate 12Mbps, and with gps it has other menu graphics + 15Mbps?

I don't believe there's any technical limitation (I have Novatek cameras with and without GPS that are otherwise identical) but it's quite possible they have configured them differently for whatever reason, perhaps to individualize them a bit for marketing purposes

Back