M6+ Latest firmware update *Warning*

Yes i'm still on the latest update, I have left it on for long a period of time on older firmware with no problem.
I did another 5 hours today (5 1/2 yesterday) with no problems. I am still running the "downdate" 3.3.1.6. I use a backup power pack/charger to power my camera in parking mode. It's the Anker powercore 10000

I had 3 days on the new firmware without any crashes.

I could have lived with the time out of sync, but iffy capture and missing trips forced me back onto 3.3.1.6

For anyone having trouble going back - the firmware should be in a folder called "update" in the root of the memory card, but note that this gets deleted after the upgrade.

Did some more journeys today.The camera is still behaving oddly. The previous journeys GPS data has dissapeared! Todays journeys (dispite it saying it had GPS both times) was only there for the second (return) journey! Most bizzarre!
It did record the video OK and also the time lapse when parked up. Reliability is not this camera's good points!

Last edited:
Did some more journeys today.The camera is still behaving oddly. The previous journeys GPS data has dissapeared! Todays journeys (dispite it saying it had GPS both times) was only there for the second (return) journey! Most bizzarre!
It did record the video OK and also the time lapse when parked up. Reliability is not this camera's good points!

The GPS data is archived. If you want to view the data in Dashcam Viewer you'll have to find the archived GPS data and extract it. Annoying I know, not really sure why they bothered doing that it's not as if the GPS data takes up much storage space.

Thanks Robbo :)

Got a reply today. Didn't really answer or address the problems. More of a statement really. They responded after I posted something on their facebook page. Said they had been at an exhibition/conference hence the delay in responding! So everybody must have gone! Anyway here's my original email and their reply.

To: feedback@ddpai.com
Sent: Friday, 14 October 2016, 1:18
Subject: M6 plus problems

New update not working properly. Many temp files created filling memory card almost immediately. Even after formatting card. Files not playing in order. Times and dates being corrupted. When recording files not overwritten when card full, which is happenning ver quickly due to nearly all space being taken up by multiple tmp files. Recording just stops. Cannot turn off e-dog. (not required as in the UK). Phone keeps wanting to update e-dog 03 v 1.01.0 multiple times. Even when update downloaded and installed keeps wanting to download and install same update over and over. Also sport file has appeared and contains many notepad files which contain meaningless data. I have tried a reset but this only reset camera name and password. Camera now useless.
When will this be fixed? Is there a way to get previous firmware before latest update?
Regards
Debs McDougall
United Kingdom
M6 plus V 3.3.2.5
app 5.6.5
iphone 5SE (app detects it as iphone 6 as it has same technology)

To
Message body
Dear Debs,
Really sorry for the answer so late, we have attended the HK fair, and just come back to work, I beg your pardon.
What you said the SD card filling problem, it;s the normal situation, we have made some changes to the SD card file ( change from 100video to 200video ), all the recordings will be the same.
With the latest firmware, the SD card will be formated automatically and fill the SD card up, but new video will start cycle recording again, so all those is ok, don't worry about it.
download
download

For the E-dog keep updating, please make sure you have updated E-dog to the latest version v1.0.1.0 now, and hope you have downloaded the exact overseas DDPai APP, ( one is 盯盯拍, another is ddpai) you should choose ddpai, so please install again to get the right one, thanks for your understanding in advance. After you have tested this, please give me the feedback.
The sport file is our special APP function, can analyze driver behavior and record the driving information, how could it be meaningless? This is what our customers asked for this, if you do don't like this, please be kind to just ignore it, hope you can understand, thank you so much.
customer_service@ddpai.com

Although very polite, it doesn't actually address the problems. It states that filling up the card is normal and the files will be 'overwritten'. However they haven't addressed the fact that this isn't happening and the files are not being overwritten.
No mention of the times being all out of sync.
Obviously haven't understood the bit about e-dog wanting to update over and over and the fact that it isn't wanted here in the UK and despite the app having an on/off slider it doesn't work and keeps switching itself back on again.
Having a file labelled 'sport' for driving habits is also confusing. Personally I don't want this feature and I don't want it also taking up space on my SD card. Can't see an option to turn it off? or am I being thick again!
Didn't say how you could download previous versions or even admit a problem and therefore a fix.

OK I have purchased another camera that I was going to use for the rear. So I'm going to try again taking on board all they have said with this one and see what happens. I can do a direct comparison with the other camera running the older firmware. Oh yeah and that was something else they didn't address...how to download the firmware update file directly from the internet (something which they recommend doing in their own apps help files)

Ideally I would like an app that set up my camera for recording video and GPS data in case of an accident. I don't want to join a forum for bragging about my driving or posting videos. Pity really, the camera hardware is good but its being bogged down by apps that have what is in effect bloatware attached....or perhaps it's me and I'm getting too old!

Well it's with regret that I have to announce my parting of the ways with my DDPai M6+. I've just spent the last couple of hours removing it and replacing it with my trusty StreetGuardian Panorama S (SGZC12SG)
The DDPai promised so many of the things I wanted, but in the end just wasn't reliable enough to deliver what I was after.
The DDPai had some good points:
1: Excellent daytime video quality and good nighttime as well.
2: Innovative magnetic mounting system.
3: Wifi access to a dedicated smartphone app

And many more.......however it also had too many drawbacks:
1: Inconsistent gps file generation, sometime missing alltogether.
2: Lack of any useable PC application to view all info with gps (Dashcam Viewer tried hard, but every DDPai firmware update seemed to bugger that up)
3: Constant Interference on sound which many others have commented on.
4: The Wifi app (iphone) I found useful to start with, but had too many foibles.

So it's back to my trusty SGZC12SG for me.

Steve

Thanks to the instructions from @Debsmcd6 I've been able to revert my new DDPai to 3.3.1.6 and at least it's now vaguely working.
The main issue for me currently is that the GPS tracks appear to be approx 80 km to the east of where they should be... so I suspect a reset is now required.

When I get a moment I will also contact customer services, I can get the email written in Chinese so they can at least really understand the issue.

Have come to the conclusion that the GPS isn't very good. Registrator Viewer does the best job at displaying it, but it lags and is intermittent on both versions of firmware.

Having exactly same issues, as I just noticed that, I have no usable videos on my SD card, only those "tmp" labeled ones.
Also all the trip data is messed up.

Looks like I have to downgrade or ditch this camera. It was best camera I had, while it lasted :(

When I updated I got a warning telling me that this update would delete any data on the card and that I should save any files I wanted to retain

And?

It definately did not say, that from now on it only writes garbage to your SD card and does not record anything usable anymore...

Which version of the app are people using. In the iPhone there is the original Chinese version with their social media option. There is also an Rest of the world version and there is also another app called Road eyes which works with this camera

Thanks to the instructions from @Debsmcd6 I've been able to revert my new DDPai to 3.3.1.6 and at least it's now vaguely working.
The main issue for me currently is that the GPS tracks appear to be approx 80 km to the east of where they should be... so I suspect a reset is now required.

When I get a moment I will also contact customer services, I can get the email written in Chinese so they can at least really understand the issue.

Verified this morning - running 3.3.1.6 firmware, using the road-eyes app my location is somewhere in the middle of the north sea - but the ddpai app location is correct, suggesting the issue is not with the GPS data logged by the camera

OK, I downloaded the "correct" App. Let it update my camera again to version 3.3.2.6 Also let it update the edog and this time it seemed to work in that it updated edog correctly and didn't want to keep updating. I could now turn the edog slider off. That's where the good stuff ends. It was filling the card up with all these temp folders and the GPS wasn't working. Registrater viewer was having a really hard time trying to make sense of the new file system playback and once again was all over the place. Had enough, so downdated it again.
I have since found another app by ddpai called Youmera (ios iphone apps). I'm now using this. It is almost identical to the new rest of world app, but doesn't try and update the camera. The GPS is very hit and miss. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't (even though Mrs ddpai announces GPS and the blue light comes on)! I took two long journeys this weekend, (190 miles each) it didn't records any GPS on the first one at all (checked the data card) the second journey it kicked in towards the end, when I was nearly home (20 miles away)! I carefully checked the card. there were no compressed (archived GPS files either, so it wasn't anything to do with memory). In fact the card I was using was 64GB and still has 14.9GB free available memory.

I was hoping the updates would be incremental so I could re-update my camera to just before the troublesome one. Unfortunately it just wants to jump from 3.3.1.6 to 3.3.2.5 :(

At least it is recording my journeys and also the time lapse. Guess I'll have to live without GPS.

Lots of people have reported problems with the sound. I don't use this feature and have it turned off, so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:
I am another Android user with problems. Worked OK'ish with an 8gb Kingston card so I purchased a Samsung EVO 128gb MicroSDXC from Amazon and to make doubly sure it was genuine, I checked it with H2estw, which found all was OK. Formatted in the camera with FAT 32 but afterward's the camera is reporting the card is 95.73% full. However I read the following from above... 'With the latest firmware, the SD card will be formated automatically and fill the SD card up, but new video will start cycle recording again'. So I guess that answers that one, but it was not automatic, I had to format manually. Anyways, its working again but I have not yet had a long run to see if it overwrites and uses the whole 128gb card.

Looks like I might have done the right thing going back to my SGZC12SG.
Steve

I'm still using the latest 3.3.2.5 firmware and the only issue i'm experiencing is the time keeps jumping back an hour and then corrects itself when I connect my phone. I've improved the poor audio by sticking foam tape between the camera base where it clips onto the plastic bit stuck to the windscreen. Now the noises from bumps in the road are less noticeable.

I'm still using the latest 3.3.2.5 firmware and the only issue i'm experiencing is the time keeps jumping back an hour and then corrects itself when I connect my phone. I've improved the poor audio by sticking foam tape between the camera base where it clips onto the plastic bit stuck to the windscreen. Now the noises from bumps in the road are less noticeable.
I wonder what will happen when BST ends - that might get round the time issue - for a few months anyway :)

Back