SG9665GC - Video Quality (perhaps the question most frequently asked?):-)

Steve_Parry

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Many over 10 years. Currently 1 x SG9663DCPRO, 1 x SG9663DR
Hi all,
I have just displaced my DR500GW-HD with an SG9665GC to try and address poor video quality and in particular number plate legibility issues. I'm using Beta 27. Settings are all at default, except motion detection turned on.

The SG is much better than the BlackVue, except when the sun is above or in front, when I get a lot of reflection from the (black) dashboard which I think is causing the video to be nearly impossible to read number plates and even some road signs.

I also can't read number plates on cars traveling towards me, even in 'non dashboard reflection' conditions - is that normal?

I don't really want to go the CPL route (exhausted my budget on the SG already!) - any suggestions? I saw one suggestion of a handmade cowling - I assume that is to provide a "shield" between the bottom of the camera and the windscreen - does that work? Best material (I was thinking black card)?

Sample video can be seen here:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Alvp5sx_wtqwgf8JwX5ZJX_Z_pcxsw

As an aside, I can see some white pixels on the centre dashboard area - is this the 'hot pixel' issue mentioned in other posts?

Thank in advance.
Cheers
...Steve

Number plates can be tricky under varying environmental motion blur conditions and time/day/night/speeds. Have a look through the GC section at other posts talking about it in depth. I won't be able to download and look at your video for a bit (I'm on my iPhone/Sunday)

I just sent you a private message with the pixel re-calibration instructions. (Check your inbox)

I just had a look finally as well now that I'm on my main computer. It would appear you have the plastic lens film on still possibly from what I see. Remove/Clean, try again.

Do get a CPL filter.
It does cost a little, but it significantly reduces the reflections, while at night, to me - it does little to impede low light performance.
Alternatively, to save a few dollars, use a messy carpeted dash mat...

Do get a CPL filter.
It does cost a little, but it significantly reduces the reflections, while at night, to me - it does little to impede low light performance.
Alternatively, to save a few dollars, use a messy carpeted dash mat...
Thanks Peter. I think I'll try the cowling solution first, if I still need it after Jokiin has done his magic:)
Cheers
...Steve

CPL is great.

Probably, but it's a last resort for now - I'm way over budget and the finance manager is watching me closely:)

BTW Jokiin is everything you said he was - awesome service and super knowledgable. Thanks for recommending. Street Guardian USA is on the ball as well:)

BTW Jokiin is everything you said he was - awesome service and super knowledgable. Thanks for recommending. Street Guardian USA is on the ball as well:)
like having your own personal assistant right next to you in the same room, virtually, response is about the same time frame.

I just had a look finally as well now that I'm on my main computer. It would appear you have the plastic lens film on still possibly from what I see. Remove/Clean, try again.
No it doesn't look like that at all. Look at the dust on the inside of the windscreen that's in perfect focus!

Focus is off by a looong way.

I agree, it was way off, I sent a replacement camera already

I deleted the part of the post that said: "I assume the replacement is on it's way" :)

I agree, it was way off, I sent a replacement camera already
Replacement SG9665GC received and now I can see the difference:) This one is lovely and clear and can read number plates even on oncoming cars at 80km/hr! Awesome!

Massive shoutout to @jokiin and the rest of the Street Guardian organisation - I am so impressed by their commitment to meeting customer needs and resolving problems superfast and without a fight. I'm now a convert and they have my vote! Well done guys!

Cheers
...Steve

Back