RC500S coming with INCREDIBLE low light performance

J Ward

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone heard about the RC500S? What do you think?

Vortex Radar on youtube has a great video with what looks like incredible low light performance.

@alexsoll have you seen? If the night time is really that good. I hope it has good bit rate write speed like 13mb/s or greater and maybe if lucky we will get 1080p @ 60fps

best to wait and see real world results, DOD have a history of being a bit loose with the truth when it comes to what components they use, what results they deliver etc

You can say that again, we'll see what the real world non-marketing results are.

they do have some stuff where they do well, but then fall short in other respects, time will tell

WOW if this camera is as good as what is said then the SG would only be valued at $100 unless they make the v3 as good as the DOD. If your in the market for a high end cam then it may pay to wait and see how the new DOD performs.

WOW if this camera is as good as what is said then the SG would only be valued at $100 unless they make the v3 as good as the DOD. If your in the market for a high end cam then it may pay to wait and see how the new DOD performs.

they're estimating a $599 price tag in Australia so not sure where that puts things

best to wait and see real world results, DOD have a history of being a bit loose with the truth when it comes to what components they use, what results they deliver etc
What you're saying is that their pre-release info is a bit DODgy, right?

If it turns out to be that good, right, then the only way to tell the difference between night and day is by looking at the time stamp, right?

@alexsoll have you seen? If the night time is really that good. I hope it has good bit rate write speed like 13mb/s or greater and maybe if lucky we will get 1080p @ 60fps
In the video he said 1080p30 for both front and rear. No mention of a capacitor vs battery.

So, if a 128GB card, right, gives you between 12 and 14 hours of recording, right, what bitrate values, right, are we talking about here?

I want to see what the new cameras can do, and for that i have gotten my hands on a IP camera fitted with the Sony IMX 185, and it paired with the 1 streetlight below my living room window is almost like daylight to look at, but off course if there is movement you can see the IMX185 is still using 1:30 sec exposure timing.
But otherwise it is like daylight down there.

Just yesterday i put the M2 in the same window and it can barely pick put a large sign with the name of the daycare on the other side of the road.

So whatever you got,,,,,, bring it on :)

Here is a pic thats granted off the secondary steam, but it indicate the brightness of the IMX185 pretty good.
3_5[1].jpg

This is the sign the M2 using 1080/30 thats my currrent most lighesensetive can barely make out ( framegrab comming in a few seconds )
3_5[1]1.jpg

And this is what the Mobius 2 see in the same lighting conditions.
Mobius2gadenat.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah the IMX185 is no Uber sensor either, but i would like a small PTZ camera with one of those sensors for the street view.
Then i could keep a eye on the coming and goings at the local wholesale of,,,,, Mmmm naughty things :D easy for a person like me to spot the increase in traffic around the #1 every month when the scores are to be settled and new supplies procured.

As the say, it takes one to know one, or in this case it take a former one to know one :)

In the second video he's claiming there's absolutely no light. :confused:
i think he mean there is no light inside the 2 boxes, but there is a little slit in both where a little light filter thru, and its the same slit he shine his phone light thru to illuminate the otherwise black footage of the old camera.

Yeah the IMX185 is no Uber sensor either, but i would like a small PTZ camera with one of those sensors for the street view.

I think ideally the best camera for parking mode and the best camera for use while driving are two different cameras

Maybe.
Compromises made to accommodate both functions in one camera mean none of them will be as good as they can me on their own.

It would be cool if a company like Sony would acknowledge the dashcam market and make a sensor or 2 dedicated for use like that.

I think ideally the best camera for parking mode and the best camera for use while driving are two different cameras
I have to agree with this. For parking mode capturing as much information as possible is ideal. For driving mode I don't think I'd want a camera that sees more than I do for the simple reason that should something happen that could give the judge/jury/insurance company the impression that if the camera could see something you could as well and that could, unfairly, work against you.

Back