Powerbank Battery for a Dashcam

I've been toying with the idea of a simple relay and some chopped up USB cables to achieve this effect.
I'm sure someone else MUST have thought of this and tried it, but I haven't seen where.

The idea needs testing. It might be better if the relay coil is fed from the USB port that charges the battery pack instead. It needs to be confirmed if either of the devices can 'back feed' power from their input, which might have the unwanted effect of latching the relay on when it shouldn't be.

I posted about this a while ago. You dont need a relay, a DPDT switch can easily handle it all.

For it to work seamlessly, your powerbank needs to have an auto on/off feature when a device is connected and be able to be charged while in use. I know my Xiaomi powerbank can do it.

Attachments

• DPDT.png
    DPDT.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
My circuit handles (most of) the automation. You never need to flip a switch. It works with a power bank even if it disables its output while it is being charged.

But yes it needs the power bank to resume supplying power when charging stops and a device is plugged into it.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Last edited:
ah, I have a stupid one!

My circuit is a workaround for the smart power packs that do stupid things you don't want them to! [emoji2]

My circuit handles (most of) the automation. You never need to flip a switch. It works with a power bank even if it disables its output while it is being charged.

But yes it needs the power bank to resume supplying power when charging stops and a device is plugged into it.

That automated solution would only work if your camera has parking mode which has low power consumption. The mini0806 doesnt have a parking guard available if i recall.

If so, every time you turn off the ignition it will draw from the battery bank. If your only driving for an hour a day, the other 23 hours will be drawing from the battery bank.

You would need to be driving A LOT to keep it topped up. The input charging of power banks is a lot slower than the accumulated consumption of a cam.

True, but from brief tests even my modest battery pack runs the 0806 for an incredibly long time without much reduction in charge level. Would probably run for days. With regular - or even occasional - charging, it would run longer. It also seems to fully charge in around an hour. So I think it would work out fine for all-day use. Not sure about all night though.

On the days I need it I am driving many hours per day, so I think it would suit my needs well. I am exploring other options though, like a Vico battery saver and one of those timer relay modules.

But I promise you this : My circuit WOULD have prevented the serious failures my 0806 has given me. And it's cheap.

You can try it out for a week without a DPDT relay and see how it goes. Just manually unplug it from the usb charger and plug it to the powerbank.

Or if your powerbank can be charged while in use, go from 12v USB charger > powerbank > dashcam.

Also its not ideal for the SD cards as well to be constantly be written on. It wears out the card and you reduce the amount of useful videos stored in the card.

I'll run some tests. I have one of those USB Doctor testers somewhere.

Edit > Quick update. I plugged my 0806 into a battery pack for 30 mins. It drew 181mAh. Average current 362mA. Final current was pretty steady at 300mA. The 0806 battery is in a poor state so some charging was going on.

I plugged my battery pack into a 2.1A USB port of a mains adapter. In 10 mins it drew 210mAh (started around 1.5A dropping to around 1A.)

So the battery pack charges more than three times as fast as the 0806 drains it. That's a pretty healthy ratio I think, and would suit my work pattern well.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm using mobius as a dashcam for my motorcycle. I'm planning to use a powerbank/external battery to charge the mobius. The issue is that the powerbank only charges mobius for about 30s-1 min then it auto shutdowns, while it works perfectly with my smartphone. The powerbank's output is 5V-2100mA btw. Does anyone has any explanation for this and/or any suggestion on what powerbank should I use? Thanks

sounds like you have a power bank that detects when the battery is full and auto shuts off, not all of them do this, try a different model, the Anker power banks are popular

Maybe a power only, not a data cable, would keep it running.

not sure it makes a difference on a power bank with current sensing as it don't think it needs the data lines for that anyway

Your probably right but if the camera thinks it's connected to a computer, but doesn't link it might shut down. Some with the rapid charge do communicate, like to the newer phones or a tablet.
Then the powerbank would sense full battery.
If the camera stayed on the powerbank would sense a load.
Maybe, maybe not :)
What happens if you hook it up, it shuts down, and you start powerbank and the camera again?

I have a power bank that I hook up to the G1W. It will shut down unless I immediately turn on the camera when I turn on the power bank.

I use power banks regularly when testing cameras when I run out of USB power outlets and the ones I have will all start and run without shutting off, I think it's mostly the power bank that dictates the behavior, certainly can't hurt to try another cable though

Your probably right but if the camera thinks it's connected to a computer, but doesn't link it might shut down. Some with the rapid charge do communicate, like to the newer phones or a tablet.
Then the powerbank would sense full battery.
If the camera stayed on the powerbank would sense a load.
Maybe, maybe not :)
What happens if you hook it up, it shuts down, and you start powerbank and the camera again?

Here's what I know: If mobius is not recording, then it will be on standby and will auto turn off, then the powerbank also auto turns off afterwards. However, if mobius is recording, then the powerbank will continue to charge it and won't auto shutdown. Mobius certainly doesn't see the powerbank as a computer, because whenever it is indeed connected to a computer, then it will never auto turn off, whereas with this powerbank it will. My settings for mobius is 30 sec of standby then auto shutdown btw.

I use power banks regularly when testing cameras when I run out of USB power outlets and the ones I have will all start and run without shutting off, I think it's mostly the power bank that dictates the behavior, certainly can't hurt to try another cable though

I use the cable comes with Mobius package. It must be a data cable since I can use it to connect mobius to my laptop to see the vids. So you're suggesting I find a power cable only?

I use the cable comes with Mobius package. It must be a data cable since I can use it to connect mobius to my laptop to see the vids. So you're suggesting I find a power cable only?

can't hurt to try but I don't think it's the answer, think it's more of a power bank issue

can't hurt to try but I don't think it's the answer, think it's more of a power bank issue

I dont live in the US so I don't really know where to find a power cable only for USB A-miniUSB B. I myself also dont know how to differentiate between a power cable only and data cable :))

I have a power bank that makes a Mobius think it is connected to a computer and forces it to go into standby mode rather than begin recording. Some "smart" power banks will cause this issue unfortunately. The solution has been to modify the existing cable by cutting the white and green data wires while leaving the red and black power wires intact.( You will probably need to completely isolate the shielding from the connection as well.)

Edit: Use heat shrink tubing to complete the modification and end up with a decent looking repair.

If you happen to have a short spare USB-A to mini-B cable around you can try this fix-it out and see if it works for you before committing to the cable you want to use on your bike.

USBpinouts.png

Last edited:
I dont live in the US so I don't really know where to find a power cable only for USB A-miniUSB B. I myself also dont know how to differentiate between a power cable only and data cable :))

The photo I posted above showing the wire colors you will find in every USB cable along with this pin-out chart will explain the differences between a USB data cable and a standard power cable.

If you put a temporary piece of tape over the two inner pin connectors (pin 2 and pin 3) on the USB-A plug you can test to see if the Data connection is your problem.

mobius-pin-outs.jpg

Last edited:
Back