360º always-on cloud-connected roof-mounted smart carcam

Who is interested in this type of carcam?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Anyone want to see some mixed environment 360° top of car footage?

You bet! Last you posted about this was on June 14th when you said, "Edited video will be here in the next day or so." Was wondering if you would ever follow up or had simply abandoned the project. Better late than never, as they say! :)

My biggest concern with a cam like this would be theft - and to counter that to some degree would be to have the mount permanently fixed to your roof, which is a big commitment

This sounds like a good project. I haven't read through all of the replies so I may repeat some things.

I don't think a roof mount makes sense. I would guess that most people want to keep the sleek appearance of the exterior of their car. How about a super small camera mounted at the top of the windshield or in front of the mirror? Maybe even in the front grill if the lens has a super wide FOV?

I really like the idea of wifi in a car DVR. Set it to sync to the cloud. If someone hits the car while parked and connected to wifi (i.e. in your driveway) you would have video of the incident even if they stole the cameras and located/stole the DVR. Of course a 256MB micro SD capacity would be a must. Smart alerts to the cell would be great...why let a thief know you're coming for him? The 4G idea is great but I wouldn't want an extra monthly bill. Maybe it could be activated on-demand, sending current and recent video clips or snapshots to the cloud?

Multiple (2-3) 4k cameras with night vision (color?) would be ideal.

Eventually this will hopefully be integrated into new cars. Make a good product, patent it and then maybe you could license it out. I'd pay a few hundred or so for this.

This sounds like a good project. I haven't read through all of the replies so I may repeat some things.

I don't think a roof mount makes sense. I would guess that most people want to keep the sleek appearance of the exterior of their car. How about a super small camera mounted at the top of the windshield or in front of the mirror? Maybe even in the front grill if the lens has a super wide FOV?

I really like the idea of wifi in a car DVR. Set it to sync to the cloud. If someone hits the car while parked and connected to wifi (i.e. in your driveway) you would have video of the incident even if they stole the cameras and located/stole the DVR. Of course a 256MB micro SD capacity would be a must. Smart alerts to the cell would be great...why let a thief know you're coming for him? The 4G idea is great but I wouldn't want an extra monthly bill. Maybe it could be activated on-demand, sending current and recent video clips or snapshots to the cloud?

Multiple (2-3) 4k cameras with night vision (color?) would be ideal.

Eventually this will hopefully be integrated into new cars. Make a good product, patent it and then maybe you could license it out. I'd pay a few hundred or so for this.

The epitome of a bull**** post starts out with "This sounds like a good project." and continues with "I don't think a roof mount makes sense."
Yeah, this unique project about placing a commercial item X on object Y is great, but I don't think it makes sense to put item X on object Y.

The epitome of a bull**** post starts out with "This sounds like a good project." and continues with "I don't think a roof mount makes sense."
Yeah, this unique project about placing a commercial item X on object Y is great, but I don't think it makes sense to put item X on object Y.
Wow, sorry to offend you. Have a bad day?

Wow, sorry to offend you. Have a bad day?
No, I have a problem with people stroking other people with idiotic ideas. This discussion has been over with for a long time, read the replies.

And I have a problem with people who jump down a new member's throat without due cause :mad: That's not the way most of us here behave so to Galin my apologies for the rest of the folks here.

Phil

So what happened with the footage you offered to show us more than two weeks ago?
Damn good question... I have been busy. I went to CES 2017 and talked to many OEMs. I even saw a prototype of a complete overkill 360º stereo portable all in one unit, that the manufacturer was willing to let me customize based on pre-orders... still in discussion.

I am skating towards where the 5G puck will be!

The coolest thing I saw was an ARM framework that worked across the ARM chipsets for on-board computer vision... I thought I would have to do the more exotic recognition in the cloud, but no... its doable and trainable in car.

I will endeavor to put my 360º YouTube videos online shortly.

But work is happening in the background!

My biggest concern with a cam like this would be theft - and to counter that to some degree would be to have the mount permanently fixed to your roof, which is a big commitment
Your side mirror will be more expensive to replace (+$400 on average) than this carcam and it can act as a deterrent... Me? I just want some social justice and catch the criminal!

Damn good question... I have been busy. I went to CES 2017 and talked to many OEMs. I even saw a prototype of a complete overkill 360º stereo portable all in one unit, that the manufacturer was willing to let me customize based on pre-orders... still in discussion.

I am skating towards where the 5G puck will be!

The coolest thing I saw was an ARM framework that worked across the ARM chipsets for on-board computer vision... I thought I would have to do the more exotic recognition in the cloud, but no... its doable and trainable in car.

I will endeavor to put my 360º YouTube videos online shortly.

But work is happening in the background!

Really pleased to finally hear back from you in this thread. Looking forward to what you have to tell/show us.

You bet! Last you posted about this was on June 14th when you said, "Edited video will be here in the next day or so." Was wondering if you would ever follow up or had simply abandoned the project. Better late than never, as they say! :)
Not abandoned... working in the background. Severe engineering challenges of getting a roof mounted carcam working in the rain and in the dark. Wraparound Infra and Bosch radar sensors are needed. I also have infra footage to post.

Back