Mobius 360 dashcam / drone only 120g

Would you build one of these cameras if the stl files or printed parts were available?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BigCooter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just finished designing a small compact lightweight 4 camera kit, uses four Mobius C2 cameras (camera module + circuit board). 3D printed in PETG material, is well suited to dashcam and drone applications, at a budget price. More at Website I just started setting up at http://Vidit360.com Need to know of there is any
interest in this kit, if so, I will upload printable files to Thingiverse, and place printed kits on Ebay for sale at low introductory price ..in exchange for some assistance with defining best post processing video stitching methods... must be low cost (free is better) and fairly easy to use ... commercial software is absurdly expensive, and trial versions are limited... need something better!!! Help.

Vidit360-camera-BEST-IMG_0345.jpg

Based on the widely used Mobius action camera, Vidit360 is a Do-it-Yourself 360 camera solution targeted at R/C drone and action camera users. You buy the low cost case kit, insert your Mobius camera parts .. and you have a lightweight 120g 4K 360 camera for under $300.

Limited numbers of Vidit360 camera kits will be available on Ebay, starting in August 2016.

What parts are needed to build this awesome little 360 camera?
  • the Vidit360 camera kit
  • four Mobius C2 Cameras
  • silicone wire
  • optional: power converters
Features
  • 4K panoramic 360 video
  • 120 grams
  • 41 x 41 x 73mm body size
  • Live FPV video feeds off all 4 cameras! (imagine real time stitching for full drone flying experience)

Example of first attempted crude stitching with Autopano trial version .... need help from others to improve the quality of resolution and stitching, using freeware, faster processing, etc....

Mobius360-0deg-asm_0012.jpg

WP_20160512_004-1.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-08-06-at-7.27.15-PM.png

Last edited:
Looks cool!

DCT member @susobarral has also done a lot of cool 360 degree work using 4 Mobius cameras in 3D custom printed housings in a similar configuration to yours that you might find interesting.

Mobius 360

Last edited:
Looks cool!

DCT member @susobarral has also done a lot of cool 360 degree work using 4 Mobius cameras in 3D custom printed housings in a similar configuration to yours that you might find interesting.

Thanks - I did see his design previously ... it is much like a camera rig for holding 4 Mobius cameras, this is too large & heavy for many drones ... and it requires using camera extension cables (4 of those are expensive). My design repackages all the components into the smallest possible single camera unit. with the camera modules very close to the center of the camera (less parallax issues). My assembled design is only 120 grams .. about the weight of 2 Mobius C2 cameras. My design reuses the Mobius camera module cables, all electronics, C2 lens module, heat sink, buttons, etc.... making it very cost effective. My design also includes multiple mounting options, many brass threaded inserts on all sides, corners and ends .. makes adapting it to a specific use easy (I have several designs available for adjustable shock mounts and rigid suction cup car glass mounts).

It's very small, lightweight ... works well on medium and larger size drones .. a photo of it on my drone, with an adjustable potion shock mount, white hoops are flexible nylon:
WP_20160609_001.jpg

I ma not yet sold on 360 cameras, but this is cool none the less.

I ma not yet sold on 360 cameras, but this is cool none the less.

I can relate to that, 360 stitched video isn't for everyone. However, consider with this camera, it can also be used as 4 independent cameras. These cameras will capture everything going on around the drone ... so a post production edit can produce a multi-camera quality result. Or... using this camera in a car, it can serve as a 360 security cam, motion activated, in all directions! only the cam (4 of them) seeing motion will record ... no stitching into a 360 viewable video is required. Lastly, a 4 camera FPV live video broadcast can be used in many ways besides a stitched video experience. All this at a fraction of size & weight compared to 4 Mobius cameras (not many people would try lugging 4 Mobius cams on their drone, too much weight).

This week I launched the website and placed the 3D Printable STL files on Thingiverse for people to print for their own personal use (free). Go to http://Vidit360.com for more information, detailed build instructions and links to STL files or Ebay purchase links.

I am curious what purposes 360 video can serve besides just "it's cool"

How functional is it to have footages like this?

Thats the issue .The 360 cameras are very good but the headsets are cumbersome. Until we have a direct neural input to the optic system , in 50 years , the presentation of 360 seems a bit clumsy .But in my 70 years on Earth & remembering what was around in 1960 i expect major advances soon. At home in the interim i am thinking of 360 video projections ?

The only useful purpose I can think of is any kind of anatomical or surgical video which is very niche case. Though, I am not the creative type.

I can see it being used to build 3d models of environments. Google and their Google car driving around taking 360 pics of all the streets, that's been the most recent use that I know of.

This camera kit to me is missing a big part, and that is a downward facing camera. But I like the idea.

It's hard for many of us to appreciate the value of 360º video capture and it can seem like nothing more than an entertaining but disorienting and not terribly practical or useful "gimmick", but these are the early days.
The future of 360 degree video will be an immersive environment the likes of which none of us can really imagine just now and one that will eventually revolutionize the movie going experience in theatrical environments along with personal VR. Imagine going to the movies and being in a theater where you feel as if you are literally observing the action and drama of a story as if you are actually inside the environment along with the actors rather than observing them on a flat screen out in front of you.

On a professional level the camera technology is evolving very rapidly. Some of these capture devices are in the five figure range and higher with astonishing specs.

360_b.jpg

The "Headcase" Cinema Quality - 6600 x 3300 resolution - 17 cameras.
360_a.jpg

"Dark Corner" - 4 Sony A7S MKII full frame sensor cameras.
360_e.jpg

360_d.jpg

360_c.jpg

Last edited:
I agree Dashmellow, but until you have the 360 screen, you can't really appreciate the 360 camera. Disney did a pretty good job of this back in the 50's , Circle-Vision 360°

Last edited:
Oh, I have no doubt in that. Once they start to produce the films and have the way to project them, oh baby. It's going to kick the movie going experience in the butt.

Imagine going to the movies and being in a theater where you feel as if you are literally observing the action and drama of a story as if you are actually inside the environment along with the actors rather than observing them on a flat screen out in front of you.

imagine not knowing which way to look, going to see a movie would no longer be relaxing escapism but an annoying 90 minute session of twisting around trying not to miss what's going on, I think I'll pass on that one

imagine not knowing which way to look, going to see a movie would no longer be relaxing escapism but an annoying 90 minute session of twisting around trying not to miss what's going on, I think I'll pass on that one

I hate to say it jokiin but you sound a bit like an old fuddy duddy who is having trouble imagining the future.:) My hunch is that when this technology develops further and eventually gets into the hands of creative people, new methods of story telling will emerge that may be hard for us to imagine just now but that will be exciting and enjoyable to watch without requiring the viewer to engage in contortions. And eventually there will be something along the lines of 360º 3D movie theater environments.

I don't see it personally, I still see it as a solution without a problem, I do think 360 video could be useful for an online walkthrough of a property for a realtor that is marketing to remote buyers, maybe suitable for some types of gaming although the majority of that is computer generated anyway and perhaps that's more about the playback technology rather than the capture, possibly an application in some types of live sports where it can be annoying when the director or camera operator is the one deciding what bit of the action you should be watching, but as an immersive movie experience I don't see it, I have seen 360 movie playback in action and wasn't that impressed, it gives some people motion sickness also

I don't see it personally, I still see it as a solution without a problem, I do think 360 video could be useful for an online walkthrough of a property for a realtor that is marketing to remote buyers, maybe suitable for some types of gaming although the majority of that is computer generated anyway and perhaps that's more about the playback technology rather than the capture, possibly an application in some types of live sports where it can be annoying when the director or camera operator is the one deciding what bit of the action you should be watching, but as an immersive movie experience I don't see it, I have seen 360 movie playback in action and wasn't that impressed, it gives some people motion sickness also

I understand your reservations and in some ways I agree based on what we know now and our current frame of reference. Like I say, I believe there will be new methods for story telling that we cannot yet imagine. Movies will be shot with multiple types of cameras that offer different perspectives rather than what is being pushed right now as "VR" with a single type of capture device.

I had an uncle who died a few years ago at the age of 100. He grew up in a semi-rural town in northern Europe where there was no electricity, telephone, cars, radio, movies or any other form of what we think of as "modern" technology. He grew up in a nice house but with coal and wood heat and no central plumbing. He always enthusiastically welcomed and embraced new technology and at the end, with all of his cognitive faculties still intact he had a smartphone and was fully involved with the internet, email, his fax machine and all the rest of it. He saw it all and I learned a lot from him about how it is impossible for us to project ourselves onto the future. It can be beyond imagining. One of the last things he told me was how blown away he was about the concept of having a robot driving around on Mars that can give is a look and feel for what it is like to actually be there....and conduct chemistry experiments while they're at it. "I never could have imagined something like that when I was a little boy", he said.

Enjoyable 360 degree (or maybe some form of fully immersible "surround" movie going experience may be hard for us old farts to imagine but I am confident that it is coming.

Last edited:
Enjoyable 360 degree (or maybe some form of fully immersible "surround" movie going experience may be hard for us old farts to imagine but I am confident that it is coming.

when it comes then I'll revisit it, based on what I've already seen the applications are still quite limited

there's a saying "nobody knows what the next big thing is, but everyone can recognise it when they see it" I think that applies here, for now the application just hasn't happened

when it comes then I'll revisit it, based on what I've already seen the applications are still quite limited

there's a saying "nobody knows what the next big thing is, but everyone can recognise it when they see it" I think that applies here, for now the application just hasn't happened

I agree, the application hasn't arrived yet. Today's applications are more in the realm of VR thrill rides and exaggerated perspectives and have little or nothing to do with the story telling art form that will eventually arise. When feature length 360º cinema is eventually developed it will be much more refined and naturalistic; more like being in the real world where we already live in a "360º" environment but focus on particular objects or scenes of interest. Future film directors working with this type of media will steer the viewers attention within a broader more immersive environment much as they do now only with different cameras, lenses, lighting, editing techniques and projection equipment.

Back