Screen mounting, Silly question time.

ajw1100

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Now Viofo 119S. Was Mobius Action Cam
I feel stupid even asking this, but the wife thinks I'm stupid anyway.

Previous cameras have been attached by suction so can be moved easily if you get it wrong. 3M sticky pads are a one shot wonder.
Being fitted behind the mirror would make it difficult or even see the small screen to check alignment, an off line horizontal line would drive mad so I want to get it right first time.

Any tricks you've used to make sure it's mounted correctly?
I should add the A119S is on order, just waiting for the plane to arrive in the UK...

Trial and error with the onboard screen while holding the camera in position can help BEFORE actually deploying the adhesive. You can then use some temporary adhesive tape to mark the edge of the position (both vertical & horizontal) the camera mount will be permanently placed in.

+1

Once you hit that perfectly centred angle that some of us can't do without, marking the exact position and then sticking the mount is probably the easiest way to to this with precision.

Last edited:
Trial and error with the onboard screen while holding the camera in position can help BEFORE actually deploying the adhesive. You can then use some temporary adhesive tape to mark the edge of the position (both vertical & horizontal) the camera mount will be permanently placed in.
Definitely - having a camera with a screen and it powered up before you stick it on is a massive help - I got this very wrong the first time I ever mounted an adhesive camera and had to then remove and clean it all up!

Luckily the adhesive doesn't bond too heavily straight away - I picked up a roll of 3M adhesive that I usually use instead of what is supplied as it goes on (and comes off) fairly easily - anything that is left isopropyl alcohol helps with :)

I set the screen not to timeout and then line up the camera as well as I can and then use painters tape to mark the edges of the mount. Then I remove the backing for the mount and apply it to the windshield, making slight adjustments to make it level before I do so. Has worked well for me.

Great suggestions guy's, marking it up with tape seems the best way.
Crazy Idea? I have some 3M Heavy Duty Black Command strips, like Velcro but much heavier duty, these are capable of holding picture frames up to 16Ib's or 7.2kg. When strips 'pushed' together they are extremely secure, with no discernible movement but can be 'pulled' apart, they also have the advantage that you can set them back together slightly differently should you get it wrong first time, like Velcro; adjustable. I will try this method to see if it works, A119S mount attached to a suitably cut up (Expired!) credit card and that attached by the 3M strips to the screen. They say the 3M adhesive could lose adhesion at over 40 C or 105 F but I have used them in the car in the past without problems, even in high summer (UK Version!)

Last edited:
Definitely - having a camera with a screen and it powered up before you stick it on is a massive help - I got this very wrong the first time I ever mounted an adhesive camera and had to then remove and clean it all up!

Luckily the adhesive doesn't bond too heavily straight away - I picked up a roll of 3M adhesive that I usually use instead of what is supplied as it goes on (and comes off) fairly easily - anything that is left isopropyl alcohol helps with :)

I agree, the adhesive can take quite some time to fully bond with the glass so there is a bit of wiggle room with making minor adjustments, especially if you avoid applying too much pressure at first during the initial install.
Heading into my seventh year of dash cam ownership I too keep a roll of 3M VHB tape handy. In fact, I have a whole "arsenal" of mounting supplies including two types of 3M tape, Dual-lock tape, Blu-tack, cable clips, a removal tool and some other odds and ends.

Great suggestions guy's, marking it up with tape seems the best way.
Crazy Idea? I have some 3M Heavy Duty Black Command strips, like Velcro but much heavier duty, these are capable of holding picture frames up to 16Ib's or 7.2kg. When strips 'pushed' together they are extremely secure, with no discernible movement but can be 'pulled' apart, they also have the advantage that you can set them back together slightly differently should you get it wrong first time, like Velcro; adjustable. I will try this method to see if it works, A119S mount attached to a suitably cut up (Expired!) credit card and that attached by the 3M strips to the screen. They say the 3M adhesive could lose adhesion at over 40 C or 105 F but I have used them in the car in the past without problems, even in high summer (UK Version!)

Command Strips have been known to work but 3M "Dual-lock" tape is preferable.

See THIS older thread for some good info on Dual-lock.

Edit: 3M Dual Lock Tape is also sold under the name "Scotch Fasteners" and you can find it on Amazon and elsewhere. The original stuff is black with black adhesive and is still available if you look for it but a newer version with white adhesive is on the market and it is not suitable for stealthy dash cam installations and thus should be avoided.

The original packaging looks like this:

scotch.jpg

Last edited:
I mounted mine crooked the first time, removed it with the string, remounted it and it's still there over a year later. Wasn't my fault, that adhesive pulled the mount right out of my hand and stuck it to the glass :rolleyes: - crooked of course.

I found it too awkward to measure and tape in the rear view mirror area so I eyeballed it.
I placed a vertical spindle paper towel holder in the middle of the hood to indicate the center.
I used the 2 black windshield washer spigots on the hood to level the dash cam.
I also noted the windshield wiper coverage and tipped the rear view mirror for easier access.
I plugged in the A119S and GPS unit, after it booted up I pressed the Record button to stop recording.
With the image showing on the screen I eye-balled the placement of the A119S and GPS unit.
Then I placed the unit behind and close to the rear view mirror with space at the top to be able to remove dash cam.
Once I had it centered and level on the screen and clear at the top I pressed the whole unit, bottom first, onto the windshield.
It looked good on the A119S screen so I pressed evenly and more firmly to ensure a good even bond.
If you want to see how it looks I have a Youtube video on another post here covering a different subject.
See, Time Zone and Exposure, post dated Oct. 3rd.

This video demonstrates :
How to install GPS v2 mount to windshield
How to aim and align A119 A119S Dashcam
How to route USB power cable and connect 5volt 3.1Amp Dual USB Car Adapter.

// BCHobbyist Tips during Dashcam install //
- set Exposure to +2
- set ScreenSaver to 3 mins
- clean interior glass surface
- route USB cable away from airbags
- use cable clips to guide routing path
- record then view aiming before firming mount
- tie wrap velcro hook strips to cable in headliner

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist

Good stuff.

You can see one way or another; everyone will get their A119S unit centered and level.

I just eyeballed it. In at least one of my cars it's visibly crooked. Makes zero difference in terms of usable footage. Trust me when I say that the angle it's mounted at is the least of your worries.

Make sure you test the camera outside of the car as explained.... somewhere in this post by the very knowledgeable Ruski:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/just-got-the-a119s-and-the-video-is-blurry.30855/

All my A119S cameras are from the initial batch. While I'm more or less happy with them, with the litany of problems more recent batches have had I must withdraw my recommendation for this camera.

Hi BC Hobbyist
Your videos are well done with good comments to boot.
I have a herniated L5/S1 and had difficulty trying to measure and tape from a bucket seat.
I can’t lean to my right, lean forward with both hands above my shoulders and apply pressure for any length of time.
So with my A119S screen on I leaned to my right, aimed the dash cam so I could see the center.
I moved as best I could keeping the center spindle and 2 leveling black washer dots in view.
When I thought they were in the right place I tacked the dash cam to the windshield.
Later I could hang onto the steering wheel with my left hand and apply firmer pressure to the mount with my right hand.
My A119s works every day and meets my needs perfectly and I couldn’t be happier.
Keep those good videos coming, I know they have helped me.
Thank you.

Hi BC Hobbyist
Your videos are well done with good comments to boot.
I have a herniated L5/S1 and had difficulty trying to measure and tape from a bucket seat.
I can’t lean to my right, lean forward with both hands above my shoulders and apply pressure for any length of time.
So with my A119S screen on I leaned to my right, aimed the dash cam so I could see the center.
I moved as best I could keeping the center spindle and 2 leveling black washer dots in view.
When I thought they were in the right place I tacked the dash cam to the windshield.
Later I could hang onto the steering wheel with my left hand and apply firmer pressure to the mount with my right hand.
My A119s works every day and meets my needs perfectly and I couldn’t be happier.
Keep those good videos coming, I know they have helped me.
Thank you.

Glad you were able to mount your Dashcam even with an injury. Everyone has their own install method, I wanted to show how to apply the 3M adhesive pad before the GPS mount allowing a perfectly bubble-free adhesion.
Some countries have laws preventing devices mounted obstructing drivers view. I had to limit mine due to windshield stone chips and scratches. Always a good idea to never mount higher than wiper blade arc.
move videos on the way..

I just eyeballed it. In at least one of my cars it's visibly crooked. Makes zero difference in terms of usable footage. Trust me when I say that the angle it's mounted at is the least of your worries.

Make sure you test the camera outside of the car as explained.... somewhere in this post by the very knowledgeable Ruski:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/just-got-the-a119s-and-the-video-is-blurry.30855/

All my A119S cameras are from the initial batch. While I'm more or less happy with them, with the litany of problems more recent batches have had I must withdraw my recommendation for this camera.

I've also found similar issues owning both v1 & v2 A119S with v1 F1.6 & v2F1.8 Lens. I find more stability after downgrading the Firmware to 1.01 without Parking & Hot Pixel fix.

Back