SG9665GC V3 just in, some questions

Q-BiC

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Received my SG9665GC V3 today and just spend some time removing my old Mini 0801 and installing the Street Guardian.

Didn't do a test drive yet, but I have some questions/remarks in the meantime:

1) Seems well built, and well packaged. Ordered with 64GB card from hiniko, turned out to be Transcend 400x, as I suspected, which is nice.

2) Piece of string in the box for removing existing adhesive pads is, well.. strong. I wrecked my Mini 0801 GPS mount with it :) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/6sghzyws32homtf/IMG_20170111_222049.jpg

3) There a single small screw in the box inside a plastic bag. What's it for?

4) I've read that the GPS for the V3 was "flipped" vs V2 and that it can now be mounted on the windshield out-of-the-box, meaning the sensor is on the sticky side. However in the quick start guide it still says: "the GPS should be mounted with the adhesive side down so that the antenna is oriented correctly."

5) On https://streetguardian.info/support I'm trying to see if there's new firmware available. Still have to see what firmware the SG came installed with, but if I go ahead and download the V3 file on that site, I'm getting a V2 package. Same firmware for both?

6) I can't seem to be able to keep the SG off when plugged in. Is this normal? I don't think it's going to be an issue for me, just something I noticed: when plugged in and starting the car, the SG starts recording. If I stop recording and power it down (long press power), the SG switches off but automatically starts back up after a couple of seconds.

7) Can the GPS be mounted on the "black" parts of the windshield or will this block the signal?
Example: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/newfmp3/cam3_zpsf07f6030.jpg
This isn't my pic, but you can see the dotted black part and the solid black part. In my car the rear view mirror housing is much smaller than on this pic, but the solid black part is larger. I'm wondering if the GPS would be fine mounted behind the solid black part.

the small screw is for the cable cover

the GPS is window mount type in the V3, check the full manual for details on that

wire it to an accessory switched circuit if your cig charger doesn't power off at key off

don't mount the GPS too close to the camera

the black section on the window is generally only cosmetic and won't block the signal

Full user manual is best:
https://streetguardian.info/support
4EbsdR5.png

81Z%2B-8NM3CL._SL1417_.jpg

Wow! You really tore through that 801 mount! One strong string, lol.

I, too just received my V3. Thank you for the extra GPS mounting tape! I changed my mind after mounting it on the driver's side (and using 3M adhesive promoter). After only a couple of hours that puppy was on there as if I used epoxy. Fortunately I also had a collection of pry tools. I'll post a few pictures but it's as if the mount was perfectly made for an 16 Acura RDX. Looks great, can't wait to see it in action.

wire it to an accessory switched circuit if your cig charger doesn't power off at key off

don't mount the GPS too close to the camera

the black section on the window is generally only cosmetic and won't block the signal

- Thx, but you may have misunderstood the part about the cig charger. Charger isn't powered when ignition is off, as is expected.
What I'm seeing is when the ignition is on (or I pull power from any USB power supply) and I manually stop recording and manually shut the SG off -and keep the power plugged in- it'll start right back up after a couple of seconds. It keeps seeing power and thinks "hey, the guy just started his car. I's time to do some recording!". My Mini 0801 stayed off if I told it to and only automatically powered up after a complete power cut had occurred before.

Of course I could just pull the plug to prevent it auto-starting, but I don't know if what I'm seeing is a software bug, hardware bug, or by design.

- Are you saying this because there would be interference if the GPS is mounted near the camera? (The Mini even had the GPS inside its base.)
I have the SG mounted on one side and behind the mirror next to the solid black part and my thinking was to mount the GPS on the other side and on the black part, close to the roof, where it would be completely unnoticeable from in- or outside. So I think there's a good 5 inches in between. See: http://www.chrisc.co.uk/mirror.jpg (same car model).
(Just a bit unfortunate the cable is hardwired and not replaceable with a shorter one.)

- Thx, but you may have misunderstood the part about the cig charger. Charger isn't powered when ignition is off, as is expected.
What I'm seeing is when the ignition is on (or I pull power from any USB power supply) and I manually stop recording and manually shut the SG off -and keep the power plugged in- it'll start right back up after a couple of seconds. It keeps seeing power and thinks "hey, the guy just started his car. I's time to do some recording!"

if you jus stop recording the camera will restart and begin recording again, unless you go to the auto restart menu and set that to OFF

if you press and hold the power button the camera will power off, if there's any interruption to power after that it would power on when power comes back

I have the SG mounted on one side and behind the mirror next to the solid black part and my thinking was to mount the GPS on the other side and on the black part, close to the roof, where it would be completely unnoticeable from in- or outside. So I think there's a good 5 inches in between. See: http://www.chrisc.co.uk/mirror.jpg (same car model).

that should be ok

Thx for the input. SG9665GC is working fine, however, GPS data isn't shown in Registrator Viewer. I have it set at Profile > My Dash Cam has GPS.
Screen on cam shows the red gps icon while recording, so it's connected.
I think Registrator Viewer recognizes it should have GPS data, because I can do "Export Track". However, the file is almost empty (basic xml layout is there, but no coordinates).

I would temp test with the gps hanging away from that spot to rule out anything there. Also make sure you're not in the garage with a clear line of sight to the sky.

If you still have problems, might need a new gps. (Rare but could have a loose wire inside)

I think it should be alright there, the rear x camera in my car have the antenna in a much worse place and it get a fix too, okay its much slower and it also loose it faster.
But thats how it goes when you "install" a gps antenna inside the car 5 cm below the roof and 10 CM from a window and right up against the wide"C" pillar in my car.

I think we might have a broken Antenna here, but i will leave proceedings to the capable SG retailers.

Yeah, I was afraid I might have to pry the GPS off the windshield again. Should've tried it first without sticking it on...

Problem isn't related to line of sight. Been driving with it for a week now; no gps tracks in Registrator Viewer. Didn't pay attention to the icon color while driving though, I'll check that tomorrow.

If I see it making a GPS connection when held outside the black part, I might use some other, weaker adhesive strip by the way. I think the VHB pads are overkill for a GPS sensor and a pain in the a** to cut loose and I'm expecting to move to a new car in a few months anyway.

Make sure the GPS plug is fully seated in the socket - it's easy to insert it but not fully (don't ask how I know).

Ok, so the icon does turn green after a while, so I thought maybe DT MI was right and I didn't have the plug fully seated, but Registrator Viewer still doesn't show GPS data...
However, I tried Dashcam Viewer and this one shows GPS data, so at least the hardware is ok.

Don't really like Dashcam Viewer though... Does Registrator Viewer not support embedded gps data?

Oh, there's a new version... Thanks for reminding me...
I thought this tool was no longer being maintained, so I never checked for updates. Running 6.0 now and I'm seeing tracks! :)

Back