Mobius Super Capacitor.

Question - if the capacitor fully discharges does the Mobius fail to auto record and need to be manually started after IGN on?

Question - if the capacitor fully discharges does the Mobius fail to auto record and need to be manually started after IGN on?

No, the dead capacitor will lose the date and time but the camera will retain its programming.

Last edited:
Interesting. Mine has failed to auto record a couple of times after the car has sat for a week or so. I'll check the files and see if the date has been lost.

Just to add, the camera also requires a fully charged super-cap to save the last recording after the power is turned off.

I've found two recent examples of it failing to auto record after sitting for an extended period. The first was 4 days and yesterday was 7 days. The date time hasn't been lost in either case. In both cases the Mobius has auto started perfectly for the rest of that day's trips (after I've noticed the red light not flashing and manually started midway on the first trip.)

It just started auto recording fine when I went to remove it to check the files. I'll have to try and remember to check it before starting the engine next time. It's wired into the BCM lighting circuit so I'll have to see if that circuit is behaving abnormally when the vehicle's battery drops in charge.

Why not try the camera indoors with an auxiliary USB power supply both with and without the capacitor installed and perhaps also with different record settings and see what happens?

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams exactly 3 years & 2 years 9 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

Which reminds me I need to check my SD cards today; I'm overdue there :eek: Thanks Russ!

Phil

Hi just a quick update: there are 22 months since I put the supercapacitor and my rear mounted Mobius B Lens works just fine. I check the files recorded on a weekly basis and I can tell that the time & date are correctly kept and the last saved file (when turning off the car engine) is playable on PC.
The Mobius B lens started to record even when the car was parked outside, under clear sky, and we had temperatures close to minus 22 Celsius.
Off-topic: what I wrote above also applies to my JooVuu X and A119.
Drive safe!

Do you know requirements useful for "a mobius 1 right supercapacitor"?
I mean I red 2,7V and 5F (total) for a supercap sold for mobius from different sellers...
Unlucky I will buy supercap where I'll find it, so I ask you if is it possible buy other kind of supercap...

For example 2,7V is strictly necessary or a voltage above is however ok or even better (example 5V...)?
5F is strictly necessary or is enough for example 1F or 2F?
Do you know maximum dimension useful to put supercap into mobius 1?

Thank you

if the caps are 2.7v 5F each it will give you 5.4v 2.5F when combined, smaller caps would be a problem, larger ones can also be a problem

Do you know requirements useful for "a mobius 1 right supercapacitor"?
I mean I red 2,7V and 5F (total) for a supercap sold for mobius from different sellers...
Unlucky I will buy supercap where I'll find it, so I ask you if is it possible buy other kind of supercap...

For example 2,7V is strictly necessary or a voltage above is however ok or even better (example 5V...)?
5F is strictly necessary or is enough for example 1F or 2F?
Do you know maximum dimension useful to put supercap into mobius 1?

Thank you

It is not easy to find aftermarket super-caps of the correct values and size to fit inside the Mobius case.

The simplest, least expensive method is to purchase the module supplied by the manufacturer which also includes the appropriate plug for the PCB.

The Mobius super-capacitor module uses two Hy-Cap brand 2.7V - 5F caps.
Dimensions: Length = 25mm, Width = 20mm, Depth = 8mm

Banggood offers perhaps the cheapest on the market and includes free shipping.

super-cap.jpg

Update. I installed capacitors in my two Mobius cams 3 years 1 month & 2 years 10 months ago, respectively. Both cams start recording when the engine is started. Both hold date & time correctly, & save the last file after the engine is switched off.

I've found two recent examples of it failing to auto record after sitting for an extended period. The first was 4 days and yesterday was 7 days. The date time hasn't been lost in either case. In both cases the Mobius has auto started perfectly for the rest of that day's trips (after I've noticed the red light not flashing and manually started midway on the first trip.)

It just started auto recording fine when I went to remove it to check the files. I'll have to try and remember to check it before starting the engine next time. It's wired into the BCM lighting circuit so I'll have to see if that circuit is behaving abnormally when the vehicle's battery drops in charge.

This still happens if the vehicle is left sitting for extended periods (ie. 1 week plus) when the capacitor appears to have lost charge. I now know to check and manually start the camera by pressing the power button- it will then work perfectly until I leave the vehicle sitting for another extended period. The fact the power button turns it on says to me it's not a USB power issue but a Mobius booting problem. It's one of the early build A lens Mobius - if that makes any difference? Do any of the other posters with the " My camera has had a super capacitor for a gazillion years and never failed" left the camera to the point the capacitor is dead and lost the date?

I've just finished installing a rear facing super capacitor Mobius, so it will be interesting to see if that behaves any differently. It's wired to a different power source and I haven't installed a power on delay like the front Mobius has.

It could till be a USB cable issue. The minor 'jiggling' of the cam when pressing the power button might be restoring a barely bad connection at the cam ;)

I say this because I'm having an issue like that myself with my old USB cable on my front Mobius at both ends of the cable. It seems that once my cam starts the caps have enough juice to carry through any power glitches from bumps in the road if those are happening- my recordings are unbroken but once in a while (and occurring with more frequency as time passes) mine doesn't start when I next drive after I do my weekly card check and testing for operation once the card is reinstalled, turned on, then shut down until I next drive. Jiggling the cable at both ends always fixes it for me. I'll have a new cable in there soon and see what happens- it's gonna be fun redoing it as there are over a dozen screws and at least 5 trim panels to remove or loosen :p

Phil

This still happens if the vehicle is left sitting for extended periods (ie. 1 week plus) when the capacitor appears to have lost charge. I now know to check and manually start the camera by pressing the power button- it will then work perfectly until I leave the vehicle sitting for another extended period. The fact the power button turns it on says to me it's not a USB power issue but a Mobius booting problem. It's one of the early build A lens Mobius - if that makes any difference? Do any of the other posters with the " My camera has had a super capacitor for a gazillion years and never failed" left the camera to the point the capacitor is dead and lost the date?

I've just finished installing a rear facing super capacitor Mobius, so it will be interesting to see if that behaves any differently. It's wired to a different power source and I haven't installed a power on delay like the front Mobius has.

Is the "Time" correct? If correct then it's not the capacitor's fault. If capacitor lose charge completely, time setting will go to default.
If like you said, you have to press power and Mobius works normally, it could be Mobius is trying to boot up and got power interrupted. @Russ331 have been using S.capacitors for years and I have on my rear and have no trouble.

It does reset the time/ date. It's always after the vehicle has sat for an extended period- it's never happened when it's driven every couple of days (so I don't think it points to an intermittent cable issue.)

I have also got a "delay on" timer to prevent ignition power interruptions/ spikes affecting the power up sequence (as a fail safe.) But it does appear to be a booting issue of some sort given the power button will start it, power is obviously being applied to the Mobius. I'll try wobbling the cable next time it happens before pushing the power button.

Now I've got two Mobius in the same vehicle I can also swap them around to see if the fault moves with the camera.

It does reset the time/ date. It's always after the vehicle has sat for an extended period- it's never happened when it's driven every couple of days (so I don't think it points to an intermittent cable issue.)

I have also got a "delay on" timer to prevent ignition power interruptions/ spikes affecting the power up sequence (as a fail safe.) But it does appear to be a booting issue of some sort given the power button will start it, power is obviously being applied to the Mobius. I'll try wobbling the cable next time it happens before pushing the power button.

Now I've got two Mobius in the same vehicle I can also swap them around to see if the fault moves with the camera.

It's a chronic problem. You'll have to do do some test to eliminate and find the cause.
I left my car unused for 2 weeks when I went on holiday. My 2 Mobius, one with battery and other with S.Capacitor worked without any problem.

I assume you lost the date/ time on the capacitor equipped Mobius?

Back