New A119 GPS for front, get the same for rear?

nqgold

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! Thanks for being helpful and answering so many questions here.

I just purchased my first dash cam, VIOFO A119 +GPS, and will be installing it soon. I neglected to think about a rear-facing camera. First question: should I find a different dash cam for my back window, and plug them both in separately somewhere, or should I return this one and find one that has both front and back?

Second question is: if I'd like to have my cam running 24/7 to protect against parking lot damage, and if the A119 doesn't have a "buffered parking mode" as its description suggests, does that mean I'll need to exchange it for a cam that does?

Get a second a119, i used it for the rear for 2 months now and it's been great. Never neglect the rear, it's just as important as the front. If someone drives into your rear and the driver claims you reversed into him or her, it's not as easy to see with front cam only.
I use it with a 12000mah power bank for parking and motion detection on all the time, it can record for almost 24hrs in freezing conditions.

Also if you have a fast enough car, it's fun to show tailgaters who's boss and have a fun video to keep.

It's on sale now at gearbest

Last edited:
If you are sticking with Viofo dash cams, I would suggest getting an A119S for the rear because at night, not enough light will enter A119 image sensor. Any rear camera will lack a lot of light at night if there's no other lighting. The front however, has lighting from headlights. Check this YouTube video out, even though it's mounted for the front. You'll get the idea why A119 vs. A119S:

The a119s is indeed better at night. For me it would compensate my darkened windows but with the sale going on it's about 70 vs 120 for the a119s, it is better but not 50€ better. I will wait a bit until the s shows up in a gearbest sale.

@Bart Goossens Where is the Gearbest A119+GPS sale? Do I need a coupon code or something? I'm still seeing US$99.90, which I believe is the regular street price.

Last edited:
It's an email only sale, that probably why you cannot see it. I checked my mail and it says you need to be subscribed to their newsletter. So subscribe and it will probably show the promo price. The promotion ends in 11 days.
I you like i can forward the email to you, maybe it will work then.

Get a second a119, i used it for the rear for 2 months now and it's been great. Never neglect the rear, it's just as important as the front. If someone drives into your rear and the driver claims you reversed into him or her, it's not as easy to see with front cam only.
I use it with a 12000mah power bank for parking and motion detection on all the time, it can record for almost 24hrs in freezing conditions.

Also if you have a fast enough car, it's fun to show tailgaters who's boss and have a fun video to keep.

It's on sale now at gearbest

How do you use that powerbank? I have my A119 hardwired and just thinking about starting to record parked.

How do you use that powerbank? I have my A119 hardwired and just thinking about starting to record parked.

I unplug the usb port at the cigarette plug and put it into the powerbank when i park somewhere less safe. I have one for the front and one in the boot. If it is hardwired like your car, you will have to put a seperate usb cable to the dashcam.
Why not unplug at the dashcam itself when your car is parked in a safe place if it is hardwired? Hardwiring is the best but for me the cigarette plug and powerbank works ok.

I unplug the usb port at the cigarette plug and put it into the powerbank when i park somewhere less safe. I have one for the front and one in the boot. If it is hardwired like your car, you will have to put a seperate usb cable to the dashcam.
Why not unplug at the dashcam itself when your car is parked in a safe place if it is hardwired? Hardwiring is the best but for me the cigarette plug and powerbank works ok.

Yes, was just thinking about it yesterday could try a direct usb from dash cam to powerbank. I will do some testing today.

Later on planning to get a Vico power plus and just have it set permanently, too bad you need to go into the menu to change settings for parking.

Yes, was just thinking about it yesterday could try a direct usb from dash cam to powerbank. I will do some testing today.

Later on planning to get a Vico power plus and just have it set permanently, too bad you need to go into the menu to change settings for parking.

The a119 doesn't have a real parking mode but i set motion detection on and always leave it on. That way only movement gets recorded to save sd card space and power consumption drops to 300mah when no recording is detected. Having it hardwired would mean you could have motion detection for many days on the car battery but that needs a decent power cutoff to be safe. The 12000mah usb bank lasted me almost 24hrs in freezing conditions and around 20 recordings.
I charge the power banks with the cigarette plug as well so just a few seconds to plug in the right usb.
If you park a lot in unsafer places or drive from place to place all day, hardwiring is much better.
How did your testing go?

Last night ran the test just left the camera connected to a 10,000mah power bank, it was about half charged and connected it around 8pm and in the morning it had no power left.

Have about 8 recordings in my sd card, some of them a minute and basically it was so dark don't know what it picked up as movement but seems regular false alarms like you get in home cameras with motion detection. This thing with a voltage cutoff actually might work ok.

I forgot to turn off motion detection and came to work and seeing the footage have my regular 5 minute clips with the complete drive from home to work and nothing is missing so it detected the motion properly. There are not stops in my drive other than some stops here and there so want to see how that goes with motion detection on. I got a comment somewhere that you could miss something if motion detection is on and not 100% constantly recording.

Last night ran the test just left the camera connected to a 10,000mah power bank, it was about half charged and connected it around 8pm and in the morning it had no power left.

Have about 8 recordings in my sd card, some of them a minute and basically it was so dark don't know what it picked up as movement but seems regular false alarms like you get in home cameras with motion detection. This thing with a voltage cutoff actually might work ok.

I forgot to turn off motion detection and came to work and seeing the footage have my regular 5 minute clips with the complete drive from home to work and nothing is missing so it detected the motion properly. There are not stops in my drive other than some stops here and there so want to see how that goes with motion detection on. I got a comment somewhere that you could miss something if motion detection is on and not 100% constantly recording.

If motion detection on the a119 is triggered, it keeps recording about a minute i think. That should be long enough in traffic not to miss anything. It does take about a second to record after motion is detected so someone coming from the side that hits your car might not be recorded completely but then you have to be stationary longer then a minute.

With powerbank it's also important to check the 5v mah. My powerbank for example state the 3,7v mah on the web page where i bought it so some people might think they bought a 20000mah but in reality it's a 12000mah at 5v. On mine it is printed very small on the back of the powerbank. To bring power consumption to 300mah, i also let it switch off the lcd.

Back