Joovuu X2 Under Development

slidinghome

Reaction score
Country
United States
I very nearly completed an order for a Joovoo X, but the sudden lack of involvement by the company in this forum as well as their own raised a big red flag for me and I abandoned the order. When I've seen communication drop off sharply in the past with other companies it has often been followed by a discontinuation of the product involved, or sometimes support for that product.

While the X hasn't been discontinued and may not be anytime soon, the company has been applying significant resources to X2 development and that is the reason for the radio silence:

https://www.joovuu-x.com/radio-silence/

No suggestion yet as to when the X2 will be released.

JooVuu X2 should be a marked improvement since Dan can now channel all the experience he's gained over the last few years into future 2017 products. I look forward to helping test and support the X2!

well, he has tasted his own medicine. I remember he was constantly blaming mobius for their trouble release of mobius 2. And the Mobius XA has suddendly disappeared.
Developing a product is a hell of a task, expecially in such a competitive and fast developing environment.
And is very distracting to keep everything posted in real time on social media. You'll end up with lot of "noise" and disappointed potential customers too....

Any new product is a huge task, pretty much anything that can go wrong will go wrong and will ultimately take longer and cost more than planned, to say it can be frustrating is an understatement

Any new product is a huge task, pretty much anything that can go wrong will go wrong and will ultimately take longer and cost more than planned,...
Aww, c'mon. You're only saying that because it's true. :eek::D

Nothing this big is ever easy but that is no excuse for failing to put forth the effort needed to do what you said you'd do, especially when something is eminently possible as has been proven by others who do it successfully. Nobody can sweep their past under the rug, and that past is almost always a good indicator of the future. This I do not expect the next cam from this source to deliver the goods promised. That's just my opinion and other opinions may vary.

I recommend that you stay with known developed products and expect nothing more than what has already been delivered and proven.

Phil

I recommend that you stay with known developed products and expect nothing more than what has already been delivered and proven.

latest release products from any manufacturer are always going to carry more risk of not being sorted compared to the prior generation products

as far as features go best to always judge any product on what they offer the day you buy, planned future features may never happen, we have long lists of things we want to implement in our products but we avoid making that public knowledge and certainly never promote them as coming features in case for whatever reason it can't happen, much better to under promise and over deliver

...much better to under promise and over deliver
A better business philosophy cannot be had.

I used to deal with a plumber years ago who understood it better than most. Whenever he came to do any work he would look at it and give an estimate. When the work was done he would present the final bill which was always less than the estimate. His philosophy was people will never complain about paying less than they expected but will always complain about paying more.

I asked him about it and he admitted there were instances where his original estimate may have been low but whatever money he may have lost on that particular job would be more than made up for by references from happy customers.

Yeah and it is things like that, that is the only way to set your company apart from most others.
And many people are starting to see this now that they got burned so often with products that promised a lot but really never did, forget about high end, just make a product that will do what it is supposed to do, and then people will happily pay a small premium for that.

There is plenty of ways to feel burned in today's world, if you can rule out that feeling on the things you buy, then you are already off to a good start on the rest of your life.

A better business philosophy cannot be had.

I used to deal with a plumber years ago who understood it better than most. Whenever he came to do any work he would look at it and give an estimate. When the work was done he would present the final bill which was always less than the estimate. His philosophy was people will never complain about paying less than they expected but will always complain about paying more.

I asked him about it and he admitted there were instances where his original estimate may have been low but whatever money he may have lost on that particular job would be more than made up for by references from happy customers.

Sure, but with the complexity & sophistication issues are not that easy to estimate. I like to blame IT people, because it's never their fault. It's either the HW or the SW or a combination of both. Than you shut the pc down and magically starts again and nobody knows why.
And in a very competitive environment, there is NO time for cope with errors. Of course you can increase resources to achieve the goal in the same time, but costs will make your product not competitive.

We are already scraping the bottom...look how projects are managed, direct sales from the mfg,no CE/UL certification, support made by volunteers as well as debugging, software made for free or opensource...

We are already scraping the bottom...look how projects are managed, direct sales from the mfg,no CE/UL certification, support made by volunteers as well as debugging, software made for free or opensource...

by product of the race to the bottom, too much emphasis on trying to be cheaper instead of trying to be better

by product of the race to the bottom, too much emphasis on trying to be cheaper instead of trying to be better

I'd like to quote ChuckLohr from his 808 website
"Expect the reliability of a toy, not the reliability of a name-brand camera. Many 808 versions are designed to work at a low price, but are not designed to be robust or easy to use."

...Of course you can increase resources to achieve the goal in the same time, but costs will make your product not competitive.

My only comment on that is if you want to make a product cheap then you will end up with a cheap product. :(:rolleyes:

Another way to consider it is:

You can make it right.
You can make it cheap.
You can make it quickly.

Pick any two.

Last edited:
My only comment on that is if you want to make a product cheap then you will end up with a cheap product. :(:rolleyes:

Another way to consider it is:

You can make it right.
You can make it cheap.
You can make it quickly.

Pick any two.

Nice theory: consumers want to buy cheap and expect cheap products behaving like expensive ones. There 1 quality class nowadays (perfect).Nothing else.
There is no pick-up two.There's only grab all three.
Lot of angry customers over here in dashcam talk....

Nice theory: consumers want to buy cheap and expect cheap products behaving like expensive ones. There 1 quality class nowadays (perfect).Nothing else.
There is no pick-up two.There's only grab all three.
Lot of angry customers over here in dashcam talk....

I don't think people expect perfection, but they do want appliance level simplicity and reliability. If you buy a washing machine, for example, it can run you less than $400 to several thousands of dollars. Whether they're cheap or expensive, appliances do much the same job without much user involvement or knowledge. People expect more bells and whistles when they pay more, but they also expect the cheapest machine to function decently and reliably in the laundry room or garage where they'll be used.

Dashcams just don't come close to that level of reliability or simplicity yet because as consumer goods, they are still relatively new. Appliances took decades to evolve to their present state. Likewise it's going to take a few years for dashcam standards to emerge and stabilize. Right now a buyer can't even expect a random dashcam to function reliably and hold together in the known temperature range of a car's interior. (I'm looking at you Mini.)

I think dashcams will eventually achieve a level of reliability and simplicity that will allow even the least technical grandmother to buy one, stick it on to her windshield, plug it in and drive away. No question that there's going to be lots of bitching until that happens.

What is CHEAP ?
This is not a fixed price point ...
There are enough chipsets out there for a decent choice of - Level of product !

To what level are you building too ..
unCompromised Video quality ( could be expensive )
Or to a level of performance that is acceptable at a certain price point .

We do know that certain combinations of components work , and work well enough for 90% of people ..
So as long as some effort is put into making the product as well as possible ( That QC issue the Chinese seem to suffer from )
And using proven components and methods ... The product made can be good ..

I think one of the biggest issues is the problems built into products ( Poor design / poor construction )
Often adding a $1 or $2 into the build quality is the difference between a good product , and a product that earns a bad reputation ..
The Chinese flashlight industry went through this phase in the last 10 years ..

10 years ago they were building flashlights most people scoffed at ...
Then companies like Solarforce came along , built in more quality , charged a little more and WOW !
These days they make lights that are simply fantastic , and the trend has caught on .. A lot of Chinese companies now build very good flashlights .
Companies like Maglite are trying to keep up with the Chinese ( tech wise )

Hopefully the Chinese Cam companies will catch on ..
Dont cut the quality , if the product has to cost $5 more to be good , then so be it ...

@JooVoo

When you have time, give us an update on the X and X2

Back