Memory card error, please restart message on F770

Roy K

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

I have successfully updated the AU firmware with the Samsung evo 64gb card as advised by Rakkdon in this forum but now it says "memory card error, system restarting " whenever I switch on the vehicle and then the F770 restarts and connects again. It works for a while but then in the middle, it restarts by itself and then the same thing. I have formatted the card in the cam itself and via app but its still doing the same thing. I have put back the original 32gb thinkware memory card back in there and seems to be working perfectly fine with no issues but now It cant seems to advise about any red light or fixed cameras.

It looks like the dashcam is not liking the samsung memory card and keeps restarting and giving me error messages. Any advise what it could be ? Thanks.

It looks like the dashcam is not liking the samsung memory card and keeps restarting and giving me error messages. Any advise what it could be ? Thanks.

can't say if this is the case but it's technically possible for them to have the firmware restrict the camera to using their own cards so it could be intentional for it not to work with a different brand of card

can't say if this is the case but it's technically possible for them to have the firmware restrict the camera to using their own cards so it could be intentional for it not to work with a different brand of card

Hey mate, I was thinking the same thing but as Rakkdon advised in the other post that he has successfully updated the firmware using the same samsung evo card but I guess he was using 128gb. Like I said card does work sometimes but its not stable and always come up with the message memory card failure system restarting. Would it be using the high speed 128gb memory card on F770 and then use it.

Hi Roy,

Found this on another thread from "Scott Leapman":

"My US-purchased F750 came with a puny 16GB card and I wanted to swap in a (suitably fast) larger 3rd-party 32GB card instead. The dashcam complained about memory card errors just like you said when I attempted to start it up with the pre-formatted card fresh from the card's packaging.

I just got off the phone with ThinkWare tech support and discovered the secret to using a 3rd party MicroSD card with the unit. Format the new card using Windows (don't know about Mac options) and select the "exFAT" format and the 128kb allocation unit size. I did that on my PC, then put the newly-formatted card in the DashCam and it started up normally. Upon successful startup, I used the dashcam's "Format" button to ensure that the card was ready to use, and then browsed/adjusted all my settings to ensure that it was still they way I liked it. Done."

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/thinkware-f750-card-error.13136/

Thanks for the info Rakddon. I just ordered a Lexar 633 128gb card from Amazon as advised by few people that they do work fine with the F770. Havent received it yet. I will try and see how I go. Fingers crossed, should work. I am currently using the thinkware supplied 32gb card. If that lexar one doesnt work, then I will stop thinking of updating the cards as there will be no point of spending money on memory cards. I cant believe that the expensive dashcam like this is so fussy about the cards. Thought would work with any. I have A119 in my other car and it works without any problems with my Samsung 64GB.

Last edited:
Finally received the card and unfortunately as predicted, did not work at all :( Still the same message. Can not believe this. What a waste of money. I give up but no more thinkware cam any more. Not impressed at all. After spending a big chunk of money, it doesnt wanna work with any memory card apart from thinkware ones. My $100 A119 is doing better than this crap now. Sorry thinkware :mad:

Finally received the card and unfortunately as predicted, did not work at all :( Still the same message. Can not believe this. What a waste of money. I give up but no more thinkware cam any more. Not impressed at all. After spending a big chunk of money, it doesnt wanna work with any memory card apart from thin kware ones. My $100 A119 is doing better than this crap now. Sorry thinkware :mad:

Your frustration is understandable, however let's not be too quick to blame the device that's writing two 1080 streams when the Lexar 633x I received provides this sort of non-performance:

DiskSpeedTest 170228-01.png

By contrast, here is the 32GB Thinkware card:

DiskSpeedTest Thinkware 32GB.png

I've returned the Lexar to Amazon for refund claiming it did not meet the claimed 20MB/s write performance.

I still need to speed-test my PNY 32GB card that *is* working fine and see if one of their higher capacity cards may serve.

We ordered a Samsung Evo + 128gb and a Lexar 633x 128gb to test in the F770. I used both for several days without any issue.

Do you think you may have been sent fake cards, we hear that ebay / amazon is flooded with fakes.

While it's certainly possible the Lexar I received was a fake, I was very specific in ordering it from Amazon.com LLC and not a third-party vendor on Amazon. I'm reasonably discerning and saw nothing to suggest it being a fake. Still possible of course, but I can't imagine anything more I could have done to assure receiving a genuine item other than ordering from Lexar directly (do they even do that?)

Customer service at BlackBoxMyCar informed me that they thought Lexar had made a change in February of some sort that was causing the failures. At that point I quit messing with it and returned the card to Amazon. They've processed the refund so at least I'm not out any money.

Customer service at BlackBoxMyCar informed me that they thought Lexar had made a change in February of some sort that was causing the failures.

Wow if that's so, I'm glad that I grabbed a few before the change.

RodeoGeorge

Well, the card I ordered and received was from Amazon LLC itself as advised by gpb so I highly doubt it could be fake. I have tried different things by putting straight out of the package into the camera to formatting it to FAT32 and exFAT but of no avail. The problem persists. Being in Australia, I do not know if that would be worth while sending this card back to Amazon as I am not aware of shipping costs but atleast I can get some amount back after shipping as this will be sitting useless at my place if I don't return it back. Just out of curiosity, any specific reason should I mention to Amazon while returning it back. GPB your thoughts ?? :)

@gpb
is there a version of disk speed test for windows? where can I get it?
Thanks

@furat52 Sorry, no idea. Check with BlackMagicDesign

@Roy K My return reason was the card was defective/not-as-advertised as it didn't meet the stated specifications. I attached my speed test as evidence if I remember properly. They didn't bat an eye and issued the return shipping label; I've at this point received my refund.

Unfortunately I've not yet decided what I'll try next. I have a local store that I may try buying from, as I can easily make a return if I do not succeed.

@furat52 Sorry, no idea. Check with BlackMagicDesign

@Roy K My return reason was the card was defective/not-as-advertised as it didn't meet the stated specifications. I attached my speed test as evidence if I remember properly. They didn't bat an eye and issued the return shipping label; I've at this point received my refund.

Unfortunately I've not yet decided what I'll try next. I have a local store that I may try buying from, as I can easily make a return if I do not succeed.

Thanks gpb. I will have the same reason with amazon to get my refund. Like I said, this card will be just useless for me. One more quick query, I have read someone's post in this forum that never use thinkware card to update the firmware on the camera as it will brick it if you are using it outside the UK and needs to install a firmware version out of UK. The whole point of ordering the card is to update the firmware with the same via the card and then use it. I was thinking of getting a replacement from amazon for thinkware card but then this stuck in my mind about not to use thinkware cards for updating. Any thoughts ??

@Roy K I think my F770 was already up to date when I got it in November or December. If not I probably used my 32GB PNY Elite U1 card that works fine.

I'm running AmorphousDiskMark on the Thinkware 32GB card right now and will post up the result in a bit. It is supposed to be a clone of the CrystalDiskMark from windows. It seems many of the Amazon reviews for microsd cards have a benchmark posted from CrystalDiskMark.

I'm probably going to try either the PNY 128GB Elite U1 or Pro Elite U3 card and see what happens.

Edit: Here's the test results on the Thinkware branded 32GB card. I'll test the PNY card in a day or so. (the TS-RDF5 SD Transcend is the card reader I was using)

Screenshot 2017-03-07 15.03.00.png

Last edited:
As I wasn't entirely comfortable that the prior AmorphousDiskMark test was accurate given that it was on a laptop running on battery, I re-ran the test on my desktop mac for both my Thinkware 32GB card and my PNY Elite 32GB card. It seems clear that the Thinkware card is optimized for write performance more so than read performance.

I may try a PNY Elite 128GB card this weekend and see how it goes.

Thinkware 32GB
DiskMark Thinkware 32GB.png

PNY Elite 32GB
DiskMark PNY Elite 32GB.png

Thanks gpb for the information. So accordingly, we do not have definite answers to what card will work on this cam. I have just returned the item back to amazon so hopefully the refund will be processed soon but still I am in dilemma which one to go for which will work without any hiccups.

Hi,

Just to pitch in. I purchased Samsung EVO+ 128GB and it doesn't work at all (worked once only) on the F770.

Here are it's benchmarks:

Disk Speed Test
DiskSpeedTest.png

CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 _0Fill
CrystalDiskMark 5.1.2 x64 _0Fill_.png

I do not know if the write speed is sufficient for 2-Channel 1080p dashcam.

But I'm also very frustrated I spent $60 on this Samsung card and I have no use for it now.
I need to buy an android device to justify this SD card :/

Stupid Thinkware. At least I wish they could enable the device to use the Pro or other variation of faster cards which are not just Thinkware branded.

Last edited:
Reactions: gpb
Back