Mobius ActionCam as a security camera to record through the door spy hole with motion detection?

germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
This has nothing to do with the dashcam topic however it's quite similar because users use their dash cams in motion detection, so I hope this thread is accepted here. :)

My question is already in the title. I had recently some garbage from neighboors right in front of my door, I live in an appartement house so it's not possible to mount a security camera outside my door. But the solution could be a Mobius camera with activated motion detection which I could mount inside my door. It should be able to record through the door spy hole. I can put a power bank on it, so that it will be able record through the whole night.

Do you guys think this will work? My Mobius cameras a built in my car so I can't make a test for myself. I only know that the motion detection sensor on the Mobius is very sensitive and it went recording as soon as it started raining on my windshield. :confused:

What do you guy think?

not sure motion detect would work through the spy hole, might be better to have it record all the time and just use a larger card

Interesting fact, here in finland it is illegal to record video through peep hole if other side is public space.
In other words, you can take that video secretly but you cannot use it as evidence.

Interesting fact, here in finland it is illegal to record video through peep hole if other side is public space.
In other words, you can take that video secretly but you cannot use it as evidence.

Where I live it's not even legal to record with a dashcam, well at least it's not officialy declared. :(
But in this case the other side of the hole is not realy a public space it's more like a staircase and I don't want to use it as evidence, I just want to bring the garbage back to the neighboor who brought it to me :D

Where I live it's not even legal to record with a dashcam, well at least it's not officialy declared. :(
But in this case the other side of the hole is not realy a public space it's more like a staircase and I don't want to use it as evidence, I just want to bring the garbage back to the neighboor who brought it to me :D
Yes, if you gonna dump trash back it would be nice if you dump it to right adress:)

This has nothing to do with the dashcam topic however it's quite similar because users use their dash cams in motion detection, so I hope this thread is accepted here. :)

My question is already in the title. I had recently some garbage from neighboors right in front of my door, I live in an appartement house so it's not possible to mount a security camera outside my door. But the solution could be a Mobius camera with activated motion detection which I could mount inside my door. It should be able to record through the door spy hole. I can put a power bank on it, so that it will be able record through the whole night.

Do you guys think this will work? My Mobius cameras a built in my car so I can't make a test for myself. I only know that the motion detection sensor on the Mobius is very sensitive and it went recording as soon as it started raining on my windshield. :confused:

What do you guy think?

Unless you can directly replace the peephole optic with a Mobius lens module using an extension cable it may be very challenging to do what you need with that particular camera.

On the other hand, there happen to be numerous products on the market designed specifically as motion activated door peephole cameras. One of these may be an easier and more effective method.

Do some internet searching using terms like "door peephole camera" and "door viewer camera" and you'll find many options.

peephole4.jpg

peephole1.jpg

peephole2.png

peephole3.jpg

doorviewer.jpg

Last edited:
Unless you can directly replace the peephole optic with a Mobius lens module using an extension cable it may be very challenging to do what you need with that particular camera.

On the other hand, there happen to be numerous products on the market designed specifically as motion activated door peephole cameras. One of these may be an easier and more effective method.

Do some internet searching using terms like "door peephole camera" and "door viewer camera" and you'll find many options.

Those products are great, but as I said it's not good for my purpose, because I only need this for a very short period of time and realy I don't want to replace the peephole on the door, it's a very very old building and I'm a bad tinkerer.

I don't want to DIY a lot, I already tried to record through the peephole with my smartphone and the result was pretty amazing, I think the Mobius can do the same but the most important question is does the motion detection on the Mobius work through the peephole :confused:

Back