Street Guardian SGZC12RC Remote Lens, Sony Exmor IMX322, WDR

You would need 4 separate / independent single channel systems.
(a few customers that have done this)

As one of the people who uses four separate cameras for full 360 degree coverage (and then some with overlap) I have learned this approach has the advantage of fail safe reliability. With four cameras, even if one fails you are still in business, and can switch cameras or SD cards at will. If a four channel camera should fail you are dead in the water. I would advocate for using at least using two, two channel cameras before I would recommend a four channel camera at this point in time.

I would advocate at least using two, two channel cameras before I would recommend a four channel camera at this point in time.

I would agree, at this point in time a good 4 channel solution sells for over $1000, the cheap 4 channel products are just rubbish, 2 x 2 or 4 x 1 is going to be the better option

Yeah, I was thinking about the potential cost before I typed my post then forgot to mention it but if the 4 channel camera were to be of any reasonable quality it would certainly be costly.

Just thinking out loud, it would be interesting to see a modular 4 channel "system". A two channel camera optimized for front and rear and a separate 2 channel system optimized for side camera use that could be added later if so desired. Each module would be able to fail without compromising the base functionality.

the good 4 channel solutions are really aimed at the professional market rather than the consumer market (trucks etc) and are not particularly discreet, realistically 2 x 2 channel in something decent could still cost up to 1k, 4 x 1 could still be a cheaper option, some more discreet options at least anyway

So what do you think is better at this point in time considering the cost will be within $100, 4x1 or 2x2? I'm looking at the new QVIA AR790 WD vs the street guardian SGZC12RC. I'm leaning towards the two QVIA just because it is slightly cheaper and for me, a novice dash cam person, wiring up 2 dash cams would seem easier than wiring up 4.

And I don't necessarily need the screen. I want dash cams because my car has been damaged numerous times in my school parking lot and I'm tired of walking out to a damaged car with no evidence of what happened so the screen wouldn't be useful. Though the wifi connectivity of the QVIA seems useful

Just thinking out loud, it would be interesting to see a modular 4 channel "system". A two channel camera optimized for front and rear and a separate 2 channel system optimized for side camera use that could be added later if so desired. Each module would be able to fail without compromising the base functionality.

the side cameras are by far the biggest headache when trying to design something, so many variables to try and accommodate

the side cameras are by far the biggest headache when trying to design something, so many variables to try and accommodate

Yeah, it seems an almost impossible task to design a "universal" side camera that would work for all or at least most vehicles.

So what do you think is better at this point in time considering the cost will be within $100, 4x1 or 2x2? I'm looking at the new QVIA AR790 WD vs the street guardian SGZC12RC. I'm leaning towards the two QVIA just because it is slightly cheaper and for me, a novice dash cam person, wiring up 2 dash cams would seem easier than wiring up 4.

the QVIA might be easier to deal with the installation

the QVIA might be easier to deal with the installation
I thought so but wasn't sure. If I have two camera systems do I need two battery discharge devices or are these able to accommodate 2 cameras?

I thought so but wasn't sure. If I have two camera systems do I need two battery discharge devices or are these able to accommodate 2 cameras?

not 100% sure but I think the QVIA has that function built in already, best to check the user manual

For side view ( or front and rear ) I find for myself combination of SGZC12RC + SGRCWPC to be most discrete 1080p / 30Fps Sony Exmor solution out there at the moment. Also SGRCWPC is most user-friendly for mounting solutions, especially as a side camera. Drawback is being quite expensive setup for most people and lack of space to hide/mount all 4 DVR units, but you are getting 4 x 1080p / 30Fps / 18Mbps Sony Exmor cameras and as @Dashmellow pointed out @"has the advantage of fail safe reliability". I am afraid it will take many years before we see some 4 channel system ( all in one ) with same / similar specs and it may cost even more than buying 4 x single remote lens daschams.

Some sample pics of SGRCWPC in my car

Front:
SGRCWPC (9).jpg

Rear:
SGRCWPC (13).jpg

LEFT side
SGRCWPC (7).jpg

RIGHT side
SGRCWPC (20).jpg

It seems to me that if you were to take a piece of black plastic the length of the top part of the window the side cams would disappear. I would think that a piece of plastic taped up would never be noticed because the window opening is expected to be black. I can not imagine that such a small part would be an issue getting in and out.

Some sample pics of SGRCWPC in my car

RIGHT side
View attachment 27754

How far into this product's life cycle is it? Are there any planned successors? I'm looking for a remote lens cam, but don't want to buy this one if something better is coming relatively soon

How far into this product's life cycle is it? Are there any planned successors? I'm looking for a remote lens cam, but don't want to buy this one if something better is coming relatively soon

If you want discrete remote camera with pre-buffer motion/g-sensor, SGZC12RC is what you want. I personally use one in my Ford Explorer pointed out the back powered via Vico-Power PLUS hard wire kit.

If a product that's on the market today meets all your requirements buy it. If a newer/different/better product is announced next week what you buy today still meets all your requirements.

Case in point, the first generation SG9665GC I bought just after release still does what I needed it to do back then even though the current product is V3.

Rick, just out of curiosity, why is it that my SGZC12RC V2 doesn't seem to have as good night vision as my SG9665GC V3?
Aren't they meant to be the same lenses and sensor, but just different microprocessors?

Also, the original Panorama X1 had GPS, so is there any way to add GPS back into the RC?

So called “Panorama X1 with GPS“ was only prototype and was never released to public under Panorama brand.
Night quality depends on lens specs and CPU specifics. Zoran Coach CPU has “noise foorprint“ at night.

Back