ID This Amazon G1WX

Brandon314159

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone able to help identify this G1W-X? Looking for firmware.

Firmware update gone wrong, quickly learned that it's a knockoff. Responds (flashes) to FW96650A.bin files but no LCD powerup (otherwise appears to function with stock settings). Wouldn't be a big deal but can't change default settings w/o screen.

Battery has been swapped.

Novatek NT96650BG

Original amazon advertisement:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00SX88JIQ
Thanks in advance!
20170316_164121.jpg 20170316_164128.jpg 20170316_164134.jpg 20170316_164141.jpg

I was JUST cycling through the firmware list on https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ls388w-shadow-gt300w-1306180-and-others.5348/ and just tried Givoe G1W and the screen is at least back on. Will report again if it's full function.

if you're lucky enough to find a firmware where the same type of screen is used and the button mapping is correct you can at least get it running, the chipset and sensor etc is common to a lot of models so the basics might be ok, have you tried asking the seller if you can get the original firmware?

Working on the seller as well.

The Givoe firmware gets the screen working but the buttons are mapped incorrectly (and missing down-arrow so hard to change any settings). Looks like Chinese characters in the menus too. Will keep trying for full function but at least this will keep it from being a total brick.

Working on the seller as well.

The Givoe firmware gets the screen working but the buttons are mapped incorrectly (and missing down-arrow so hard to change any settings). Looks like Chinese characters in the menus too. Will keep trying for full function but at least this will keep it from being a total brick.

at least now you can see what's happening and should be able to load the original firmware once you can get a copy

Ah found it, the mapping is definitely wrong but it's usable.

Button = Function
Mode = Down
Menu = Mode
Power = Power
Up = Up
Rec = Menu
Down = Rec

I have the screen automatically turning off and files being generated on the new 64GB card. This whole issue stemmed from it not being happy with the card (Memory Error). As little as I have to interact with this, the button mapping won't bother me. Cheers to the great forum and historic posts! Next up is getting a cam for the wife's car. Thanks again.

Seems to be the same cam from Banggood:

Phil

The auto-poweroff appears to be ultra buggy. I haven't determined any regularity, but it is staying powered on for quite some time after removing input power via the microUSB. Seller responded that no firmware is available. :( Lesson learned!

The auto-poweroff appears to be ultra buggy. I haven't determined any regularity, but it is staying powered on for quite some time after removing input power via the microUSB. Seller responded that no firmware is available. :( Lesson learned!

the auto power off setting by default relates to when the camera is not recording, if you stop recording and leave the camera idle it should power off at the time chosen, it's not a setting related to what happens when power is disconnected

firmware is always available for these, the seller not having firmware is just an indicator that they buy off a third party and don't know who makes the cameras

Understood.

Previously the camera would start a counter and power-down immediately. Now it feels like it reaches the end of the recording (loop time) then powers down? I need to play with it a bit more. I just swapped out the battery as the last one was toast.

Understood.

Previously the camera would start a counter and power-down immediately. Now it feels like it reaches the end of the recording (loop time) then powers down? I need to play with it a bit more. I just swapped out the battery as the last one was toast.

sounds like this camera has been quite a learning curve

Yeah I work with embedded linux/electronics prototyping as my day job. I unwittingly tromped down the firmware path before considering doing an old firmware rip. At some point it's worth buying something better. We'll see how long this lasts...definitely NOT a recommended device!

Anyone able to help identify this G1W-X? Looking for firmware.

Firmware update gone wrong, quickly learned that it's a knockoff. Responds (flashes) to FW96650A.bin files (...)
Original amazon advertisement:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00SX88JIQ
I knew the day some manufacturer decided to name a camera G1W-X, this sub-forum would bring problems to someone. People can be mislead into thinking that the alternative firmwares available here are compatible with other similarly named cameras as well.
It would be better if the name was changed to Generic G1W Series or something else.

I unwittingly tromped down the firmware path before considering doing an old firmware rip.
Are you able to make a copy of the installed firmware on these cameras?

Here on DCT I refer to them all as "G1Wx" because we know what that means, but for the muggles elsewhere I refer to them as the "G1W series" of cams.

Don't over-think and create complex solutions to simple problems ;)
Phil

Here on DCT I refer to them all as "G1Wx" because we know what that means, but for the muggles elsewhere I refer to them as the "G1W series" of cams.
You and several other dashcam-savvy people or usual DCT members know what it means, but what about people like the OP, who bought a G1WX-named dashcam, doesn't know anything about it, tries to find a firmware update, Googles "G1WX", finds this sub-forum, downloads the firmware, installs it and "bricks" the camera?

Don't over-think and create complex solutions to simple problems ;)
Phil
If changing the name of a sub-forum is a complex solution, then I don't know what a simple solution would be. :rolleyes:
But at least you recognize there's a problem. ;)

Last edited:
I didn't start the thing where "x" is used to notate an unknown- maybe we should blame my 6th Grade Math teacher :p
While I certainly see your point as well as sympathize with those (like me) who get confused with nomenclature, it's always made clear on posts, threads, and pages regarding firmware updates and changes that you need to know what you're doing before playing with it and that doing it wrong can 'brick' your device. And yes, "bricking" was a term that had to be explained to me when I first encountered it). I even have a cam that was "bricked" by a firmware update that didn't work :mad:

The real problem here is that people, for whatever reason, don't use language well. Nobody has ever bricked a camera, but plenty have been killed or rendered useless by mistake :( Everyone understands "killed" but not everyone understands "bricked". Punctuation and letter-case also make a difference; I have several G1Wx cams but not a single one is a G1W-X ;) Notice the hyphen and the upper case "X" versus the other. Similar is our 'adoption' of IQ to mean "Image Quality"when in fact all cameras actually have an IQ of zero (Intelligence Quotient; which the entire rest of the world thinks "IQ" means) :rolleyes: And too the clown who bypassed all the other unused letters and chose the "X" as a suffix for their version of a G1W type cam; that was a very poor choice :eek:

So that's why I do as I do, using "x" here on DCT, but using "series" or "type" when I'm elsewhere because I want to be sure that people don't misunderstand me :) I'm all for changing the world's poor language habits and for bashing the people who think that everybody should understand and adopt their jargon. But I also understand that the practice has become so widespread and accepted that it's not likely to occur even when it clearly causes problems that harm someone.

"I'd love to change the world,
But I don't know what to do.
So I'll leave it up to you."

Phil

...the people who think that everybody should understand and adopt their jargon...
:eek: You and I must hang around the same folks. I know 3 or 4 who do that on a regular basis - one is a very close family member which makes it even harder to deal with.

Back