M2 Discussion

From the Runcam 3
manual..........."Never use Runcam3 as a dashcam, this may damage the camera battery and create a safety hazard."

Sounds like they worried about it overheating in sunlight.

For the record, I ran my Mobius on battery for 5 years without problem. I've also now run my GoPro Hero 2 in the UK climate for over 6 months without issue although I remove it when parked.

FWIW, the M2 is a very cool running camera compared with the original Mobius 1. In addition, if the supplied brass tripod mount is attached to the camera it functions as a heat sink as it is thermally connected to the processor which is positioned directly above it on the bottom side of the PCB and linked to the brass mount via a piece of heat transfer tape on the inside of the case. It's a clever design.

Last edited:
but why someone should develop nowadays a Matchbox form factor for dashcam use?
It made sense back then when there was no decent quality and small dimension dashcam dedicated camera.
Now it doesn't make much sense, there are soo many tiny specialized dashcam which fit pretty most of bills (a119/8, Mini series...)

The mobius is very small when viewed from the front and isn't stuck to my windscreen (held on a very small L shaped bracket on the rear view mirror mount). Its held to the bracket by small magnets, to remove I can just grab it and off I go. It doesn't make stupid beeps every time its powered up and doesn't have features I have no need for (time lapse, lane detection etc).

Both the A119 and the mini series of cameras are larger and need to be stuck to the windscreen, the method of mounting via a base makes them more bulky. They are more visible from the front and have an LCD screen that isn't needed nor wanted (in my case). The mini series are unreliable as features often stop working randomly or the camera packs up altogether. The A119 has a fragile pin interface to the GPS mount that can cause defects in the recorded video.

To put it another way why wouldn't you want a matchbox form for a dashcam ? Mobius have already proved a camera doesn't need to be any bigger to record in good quality. Adding screens and base mounts just adds bulk to the camera and limits mounting possibilities.

I hope we see a matchbox style camera with good IQ / bitrate with the reliability of a mobius soon.

Mobius went on sale in July 2013. Do the math, as they like to say in the USA :)

Ooooohw snap.....

But tbh I thought I had it before it came out... Hahahaha

It's STILL that d@mn good guys....... Really.

:eek:

BUT.... fwiw, the new upcoming Foxeer Legend 3 might be a breakthrough from what I heard.....

Last edited:
The Foxeer Legend 3 seems to have the potential to be a very impressive camera but so far there is no indication that it will be in any way suitable for use as a dash cam. Dash cams just don't seem to be their thing.

foxeer3.jpg

The Foxeer Legend 3 seems to have the potential to be a very impressive camera but so far there is no indication that it will be in any way suitable for use as a dash cam. Dash cams just don't seem to be their thing.

View attachment 29839

I can confirm it has a car dvr function, as does the Legend 2. I'm using the L2 for some time now, say 6 months, and so far it hasn't let me down, I have no info about supercaps but battery can be removed on L2 and L3. However I think it's a bit more expensive than L2, Mobius 1 AND 2, and the JooVuu....

Disturbing thing is though, that they have been postponing it multiple times.... December, februari, then ultimate before March, but still no sign of sales.....

Check YouTube for a video of the Legend 3, there's a guy that takes a prototype apart.

Last edited:
I can confirm it has a car dvr function, as does the Legend 2. I'm using the L2 for some time now, say 6 months, and so far it hasn't let me down, I have no info about supercaps but battery can be removed on L2 and L3. However I think it's a bit more expensive than L2, Mobius 1 AND 2, and the JooVuu....

Disturbing thing is though, that they have been postponing it multiple times.... December, februari, then ultimate before March, but still no sign of sales.....

Check YouTube for a video of the Legend 3, there's a guy that takes a prototype apart.

Interesting. I didn't know they had adopted DVR functionality. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a super-capacitor option.

Interesting. I didn't know they had adopted DVR functionality. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a super-capacitor option.

Yeah, it does, I'm still massaging the guy to get some more functionality, like timed mode (1 and 2), or auto switch to mode 2 when it gets dark, and yes, a supercap..... but i don't think they'll listen too much to a trucker.... :(

Mobius went on sale in July 2013. Do the math, as they like to say in the USA :)

OK maybe approaching 3.5 years. I can't remember the exact date tbh.

Yeah, it does, I'm still massaging the guy to get some more functionality, like timed mode (1 and 2), or auto switch to mode 2 when it gets dark, and yes, a supercap..... but i don't think they'll listen too much to a trucker.... :(

Maybe an online social media petition? :)

Question: Can the camera run off external power with auto shutdown on disconnect?

There's some footage here of a drone of what is claimed to be the Foxeer 3. If it is, then watching it at 1440P one of the things that immediately strikes me is not only the grass detail, but how little blur there is on it with the fast motion with no sign of artefacing. Looks like someone might have worked wonders with the codecs.

Question: Can the camera run off external power with auto shutdown on disconnect?

my L2 does start when power on, and shuts off when power off.... so yeah... it runs 20-30 sec after power down ...

What does bother me though is that when there's a glitch in the power, it WILL shut down, even if the power gets back in half a second....

Euhm, why? Looks great to me.....

if you want to do the same then that's probably a great video, if you want to use it in a vehicle it's not going to tell you anything

I think one of the challenges the M2 has had is so much of the early feedback was based on similar test footage, bouncing around on a quad copter, then they were all surprised when the results when used as a dashcam were so poor

Back