VIOFO A118C Firmware

Gearbest has 2 versions of the A118C. An official VIOFO and one called B40. I am trying to decide on which one to buy. The VIOFO one cost is a little more even when on Flash Sale. Anyone know if this firmware works fine on the Gearbest B40 version or any experience.

Gearbest has 2 versions of the A118C. An official VIOFO and one called B40. I am trying to decide on which one to buy. The VIOFO one cost is a little more even when on Flash Sale. Anyone know if this firmware works fine on the Gearbest B40 version or any experience.
Go with the Viofo branded. It will be better quality.

You could also look at the A118C V2, comes with an improved lens and the housing is compatible with the new CPL filter from VIOFO.

At this point your probably better off going with the A119 1440p model as its an upgrade in all areas

At this point your probably better off going with the A119 1440p model as its an upgrade in all areas
Agreed. The A119 is the sweet spot in terms of price / performance, IMO. The A118C is not only older hardware, it is probably not going to have very much new firmware support. A119 with GPS only around US$75 to $80 on sale shipping from China. Or you can buy from Amazon or locally for a bit more.

Once you add a GPS to the A118C, the savings is not much anymore. Even if you don't think you need GPS, it is useful for keeping accurate time automatically.

Well for me the a119 with gps even with gearbest email only sale is twice the cost of the a118c. I'm not sure its worth it to me. I currently have a Yi cam in one car. Although where is it on sale for 75-80 usd

Last edited:
gearbest had the a119 for $60 after a promo code about a week ago, so keep eye on sales

Well for me the a119 with gps even with gearbest email only sale is twice the cost of the a118c. I'm not sure its worth it to me. I currently have a Yi cam in one car. Although where is it on sale for 75-80 usd
The difference between A118C and A119 I'd night and day I have found. Much better at night so I would definitely get the A119 you won't regret it.

I bought the Viofo at Gearbest (really few dollars more than B40, ok for small difference).
It was about 40$ (it was last nov or dec). I did fw update, no problem.
YEah, a119 looks better but double the price (unless you can have it for $60 as another user said).

Last edited:
Good Day, I just purchased Viofo A118C at GEARBEST last month, when i start the camera i saw "VIOFO" logo. the version A118C.20160316.
During the recent used, when my car is not moving the camera stops recording seems normal to me, but when i start moving my car, the dashcam recorder is not starting to blink and not recording at all. i need to push the record button to start recording, why?

Good Day, I just purchased Viofo A118C at GEARBEST last month, when i start the camera i saw "VIOFO" logo. the version A118C.20160316.
During the recent used, when my car is not moving the camera stops recording seems normal to me, but when i start moving my car, the dashcam recorder is not starting to blink and not recording at all. i need to push the record button to start recording, why?
Make sure motion detection is turned off in the settings.

Dear, my VIOFO current version is A118C.20160316, do i need to install the latest BETA version to have the improvement in motion detection?

Dear, my VIOFO current version is A118C.20160316, do i need to install the latest BETA version to have the improvement in motion detection?

the motion detect setting is not suitable for use when driving on this model, there are times when it won't detect movement and you will miss things, better to leave it recording continuously while you are driving

Dear? :eek::eek: Did I miss something? Neil is it???

Hi Viofo, would it be possible to change the behavior of the camera so that if no choice is made between "Mass storage" and "PC camera" for 10 seconds, then the camera simply records as if it was plugged in on a power supply ?

You could also make a choice "Normal operation" but it needs to timeout to this choice

The reason is that I power my camera using a USB port outlet from my radio, but it cannot work because the camera won't simply work in this. If you do what I said above, it will start working after 10 seconds which is fine.

This modification could also be done on A119 and A119S and will improve the cameras

Thanks !

Hi Viofo, would it be possible to change the behavior of the camera so that if no choice is made between "Mass storage" and "PC camera" for 10 seconds, then the camera simply records as if it was plugged in on a power supply ?

You could also make a choice "Normal operation" but it needs to timeout to this choice

The reason is that I power my camera using a USB port outlet from my radio, but it cannot work because the camera won't simply work in this. If you do what I said above, it will start working after 10 seconds which is fine.

This modification could also be done on A119 and A119S and will improve the cameras

Thanks !
What is the power output of your radio? It might be too low to power the camera. Also, USB 2.0 ports on computers are not a good choice to power the camera (unless your looking to activate Mass Storage Mode), they don't supply enough power. Probably OK with USB 3.0 as I think they supply about .9A.

What is the power output of your radio? It might be too low to power the camera. Also, USB 2.0 ports on computers are not a good choice to power the camera (unless your looking to activate Mass Storage Mode), they don't supply enough power. Probably OK with USB 3.0 as I think they supply about .9A.

In my case, it works fine, after masking the USB D+ and D- pins with kapton tape to prevent the camera from detecting the "computer".
This USB port is meant to charge phones too so I have no doubt it can power the camera :)

Also another interesting feature would be a "upside down" setting to turn the video 180 degrees.

better not to modify the cameras to work like this, plenty of ports in vehicles do not supply enough power and will cause stability issues with the camera

Back