Using an OTG cable with Mobius

Questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased an OTG cable from Novotm, but I'm not figuring out how to use it with my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 5). Any help and instruction will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

What do you want to do with the OTG cable? Do you just want to view the video files stored on the camera? Do you also want to edit the camera settings and access live view?

Thank you. Here is the functionality I would desire, if possible, in order of priority:
  • Use the phone as a monitor to view what the Mobius is currently recording or would be capturing if it were recording.
    • Is this "live view"?
    • Having the options of viewing the capture both while recording and not recording would be great, but either/or will work for me.
  • Edit the camera settings.
  • View and manage the files stored on the Mobius.
  • Use the Mobius as an external camera (web-cam).
Thanks again,
Andrew

In order to do these things you will need to use one of the Mobius apps for Android.
For a number of years I used Mobius USB Tools: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=therau2000.amcamobiusac
Recently I have switched to Mobius Action Cam which I find works better for me: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.chladek.mobiusactioncam

You plug the OTG cable into your phone or tablet, then connect to the camera with a data mini usb cable (e.g. the one that came with your camera). If you use a charging cable the tablet cannot talk to the camera.

The app should auto-run once the camera is recognised by your Android device. You may also get the device storage screen opening up, from which you can directly access the camera as an external storage device. Note: to switch from mass storage to live feed mode you need to push the record button on the camera.

The app will let you see a live video feed (in webcam mode), but not what it is currently recording. If you want to get a live feed whilst recording you need to look into FPV. I've not done this myself. A few people here can probably help, but you'll find more information over at RC Groups http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

You can edit camera settings and playback recorded media via the app.

Thank you! I will check this out as soon as I am able.

Perfect! I didn't look at Mobius USB Tools. I first tried the Mobius Action Cam application. It's intuitive, easy to use, and does everything I need. I went ahead and purchased the app'.

Thank you,
Andrew

I, too, am trying to get a live "webcam" view on my Android device. My phone is a Motorola Droid Turbo, running Android 6.0.1 I purchased this OTG cable, thinking that it would be all I need:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01GH0XP3A
However, when I installed "Mobius ActionCam", the camera is not detected. Can you post a link to a known, working OTG cable? TonyM spoke of a "data cable" vs a "charging cable". What is the difference? How do I know which I have? The camera came with a cable with a mini-B plug on one end, and a type-A plug on the other. That cable works both to charge the camera, and to connect it to my computer for use as a webcam, and also as a peripheral storage device. The Mobius documentation says that the cable must have pins 4 and 5 shorted together to make an A/V out cable. Is that a mod I have to do myself? I'd rather not rip the plugs apart if I don't have to. Is it possible to connect to an Android phone as a webcam, without using a shorted cable?

Is it possible to connect to an Android phone as a webcam, without using a shorted cable?

webcam mode for PC works when there is no memory card in the camera, not sure if any equivalent is possible for Android, the built in camera on the phone would be wanting to perform this function, maybe you just want live view for aiming the camera, not actually recording?

webcam mode for PC works when there is no memory card in the camera, not sure if any equivalent is possible for Android, the built in camera on the phone would be wanting to perform this function, maybe you just want live view for aiming the camera, not actually recording?

Yes, that is exactly what I'm trying to do! I will be recording to the micro-SD card, which works well. But I would like to be able to see what the camera is seeing, without having to record a few seconds, then put the card into a computer to play it back.

It seems as though information about "How to connect your Mobius Action Cam HD to your Android/iPhone" should be easier to find than it really is, especially as there seem to be many ways of doing it wrong.

It seems as though information about "How to connect your Mobius Action Cam HD to your Android/iPhone" should be easier to find than it really is, especially as there seem to be many ways of doing it wrong.

the Mobius is a cheap reliable device but doesn't come with much in the way of aftersales support but instead relies heavily on community support and the hope that you'll work it out as you go along, most people do pick it up pretty quickly and find the info they need online before too long, it's their business model, not perfect for everyone but it does help to keep the product price down quite a lot

Adding to what @jokiin said, the Mobius has always been more of a hobbyist and enthusiast's camera than a typical consumer product and this is basically the reason their community support model works so well for them. The fact of the matter is that the Mobius wouldn't be what is if the guys behind the product were not dedicated enthusiasts themselves who are in it for more than just profits. Nobody would put the sort of long term effort into refining the firmware, offering different lens options or providing spare parts and components if that were not the case.

Last edited:
RESOLVED: I just got my OTG cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0091QLXW8): micro USB-B to USB-A(female). I plugged it into my Nexus 7, and Mobius ActionCam was able to communicate! It did take trying just about every mini USB-B to USB-A cable that I own to find one that would reliably connect Mobius to tablet, but I eventually did find one that works well. Other cables gave frequent "Camera disconnected" errors, even if they worked OK to connect the Mobius to my laptop.

Thank you to everyone who helped.

Back