Need a budget WiFi + GPS dashcam

sudo97

Reaction score
Country
India
Have a budget of around $100 for a WiFi+GPS 1080p dashcam. Just need good video quality day and night, decent firmware support and don't need a screen. Infact I would prefer one without a screen.

Have been looking at this:

I like it only because it looks good IMO, but I've been suggested on this forum that I could get something much better for the same price. After going through threads, I'm REALLY confused. Any suggestions on what to look for?

people often mention preferring wifi instead of a screen so it's more simple, the reality is the cameras with screens are far more simple, wifi adds a lot of complexity (problems) that you don't have issues with on models with screens, a screen is also cheaper than wifi

I don't mind paying a little more for WiFi, it's a feature I would like to have. What kind of problems can I run into if I go the WiFi route? IMO a screen looks kinda ugly, and I don't really see the need for one, that is if the WiFi works as expected.

there's your challenge right there
Yeah, understood. But could you guide me on what problems I can expect? If it's too much I will just get one with a screen or screen+WiFi.

I don't think you'll find anything with reliable wifi, well sorted app etc within your budget

Ah, okay. Then I will get one with a screen. Any recommendations? I'm based in India so it will be MUCH easier for me to get one from China (GB/aliexpress/ebay) than an American brand, as much as I would prefer it.

I don't mind paying a little more for WiFi, it's a feature I would like to have. What kind of problems can I run into if I go the WiFi route? IMO a screen looks kinda ugly, and I don't really see the need for one, that is if the WiFi works as expected.

From what I've read here, most of the WiFi cameras available have issues with the connection being flaky and transfer speeds being painfully slow.

The screen on most cameras turns off after a specified time (which can be customised), shouldn't be an issue.

the A119 or A119S are good performers in that price range, @harsh can probably suggest which sellers are good for supplying into India

Great! That looks pretty good. Will order from China. Registered post/gearbest "India priority line" has been pretty good to me uptil now. Thanks!

My 0805 was from AE, the A118C from GB and the Mobius cams and parts came from BG. My experience with all the mentioned vendors has been uneventful.

The A119 is available on all these platforms, I'd prefer GB or BG for this one (shipping insurance included).

AFAIK the A119S is currently available only via Foxoffer. You could try Foxoffer for the A119 too (VIOFO's retail channel).

My 0805 was from AE, the A118C from GB and the Mobius cams and parts came from BG. My experience with all the mentioned vendors has been uneventful.

The A119 is available on all these platforms, I'd prefer GB or BG for this one (shipping insurance included).

AFAIK the A119S is currently available only via Foxoffer. You could try Foxoffer for the A119 too (VIOFO's retail channel).

Yup, I prefer GB over aliexpress when I can too. Will check out foxoffer.

From what I've read here, most of the WiFi cameras available have issues with the connection being flaky and transfer speeds being painfully slow.
The units with WiFi I tried you couldn't download the video files by WiFi. Without that feature WiFi was pretty pointless.

And this would be another reason not to bother with the new VIOFO WR1 .. and go with the A119 or S model .. seeing there probably won't be much of a difference in price.
That is .. stick with the same system as what you have in your front Cam .. Screen, card-reader .. rather than introducing Wi-Fi for the rear and using your Phone
Bad connection and taking ages to download are complications I personally would rather avoid.

And this would be another reason not to bother with the new VIOFO WR1 .. and go with the A119 or S model .. seeing there probably won't be much of a difference in price.
That is .. stick with the same system as what you have in your front Cam .. Screen, card-reader .. rather than introducing Wi-Fi for the rear and using your Phone
Bad connection and taking ages to download are complications I personally would rather avoid.
Most of the dashcam wifi's maybe are slow took long time to download the video you want on your cellphone.Thats isnt really a case with my Yi dashcam.I downoload video file which is 3 minutes long (about 300MB) for a 2 minutes period through Yi's wifi.

Back