the RC (radio control) and electric rideables thread

So here's what I did tonight... Made my own custom tiny whoop. I took apart the combo cam/vtx I reviewed a few months ago so it's two separate devices, then tried to integrate them into my newest micro quad, an eachines E010, which I bought two of for about $12 each, shipped. It's also sold as the JJRC H36 if I remember right.

I had to notch the ducts for the front two props so the corners of the camera board could go up in there but the camera board isn't wide enough to interfere with the props. Then I laid the vtx down on top of the main board of the quad. The hardest part was reconnecting the two parts electrically. They were originally soldered together with a couple of blocks, probably to make it rigid and strong. I used 22awg solid wire to replace those blocks. Then I trimmed the canopy so it almost looks stock. As a side effect, the quad's receiver antenna now sticks out for what I hope is better range. Then I trimmed the box it came in so I can keep it together with the TX and keep it protected.

Everything is held together with hot glue (I forgot what a pain hot glue strings are... Worse than spider webs), and the front part of the canopy is still removable if I wanted to for some reason. the vtx button and LEDs are also still accessible without removing anything if I need to change channels.

Whatcha think? Red is my daughter's unmodified unit, and green is my new fpv platform.

Now I can practice flying fpv inside (or outside if there's no wind) since I haven't been able to get the hang of it with my qav250. On my first flight tonight I realized just how little I use the rudder... All this time I've only been flying line of sight. Fpv is a whole new ballgame. I'm thinking once I get used to it, it will be easier than line of sight.

I actually have some "goggles" that are too dim to use outside since they don't seal against my face, but that should be fine inside. That will solve the issue of where to mount the screen on such a tiny controller... :)

IMG_20170319_020603~01.jpg
IMG_20170319_020619~01.jpg
IMG_20170319_020634~01.jpg
IMG_20170319_020645~01.jpg
IMG_20170319_021447~01.jpg
IMG_20170319_021456~01.jpg
IMG_20170319_021546~01.jpg
IMG_20170319_022234~01.jpg

Last edited:
over 50% of RC things my friend got end up being modified in some way sooner or later, his latest contraption was a 4 foot long 8 X 8 truck made up with the 4 axels from two Tamiya Clod busters.

lastbiler-8x8-lastbil.jpg

How does that thing steer?

Almost NOTHING I own ever goes unmodified. My house, cars, computers, phone, hell even tools sometimes! That RC truck I had to send back I had planned on modifying by replacing weak plastic parts with metal ones, and then rigging up an fpv camera inside the shell, and adding LEDs for headlights. I even bought a little LED display to show remaining battery, and it would have been mounted such that the fpv camera would be able to see it. ... You should see my wish list on banggood!

Last edited:
It can steer on all axles cuz the Clod buster are made that way, but he just have steering on the 2 front axles.
You can see one blue steering servo on the #2 axle.
The way the clod axels are made if you don't use steering on it you just lock out the steering links with some adapter thingie instead of the servo.

Off course you will need to use some strong servos with the big tires and not least when the truck was loaded up with broken down 4X4 trucks or a small grill, and not forgetting the 4 spare 8000 MAH batteries.
In this case 30 Kg savox servos are used.

With the four 80 turn motors it actually did drive pretty far on 8000 mah, but i am sure if he had finished the equally large trailer for it and loaded that up too, then frequent battery changes might be needed.

Here is a pic where the battery compartment for spare batteries on the bed was made.

And loaded up with 2 regular sized trucks we drive.

If anyone swing by we always have a spare truck or two for that person/s to drive, so don't be shy :)

Last edited:
This one is also 4 motors and even larger than the truck, its my size and then some as i am 1,9 M and that boat is 2.16 M and weigh in at 17 Kilos

baad-uss-missouri.jpg

baad-uss-missouri.jpg

baad-uss-missouri.jpg

It is a 1:128 scale of BB63 - AKA USS Missouri, fiberglass hull and deck and some fittings like cannon turrets and barrels, the rest is build in wood.

If you are a American and show up at the local pond with this sucker, people will stand up strait and salute :cool:

Last edited:

I got me a Eachine H8 mini , its bound to my Turnigy 9XR Pro VIA a multi protocol module ..
Its a lot of fun ..

I love cheap quads , because when you bind them with a decent Transmitter , they fly really well .
The H8 set me back some $16 Ozzi bananas .. ( $13USD at the moment )
Thats the cost of a Burger and fries with a thick shake .. And then that $13USD gets Number two'd in a couple of days ... And you only got to enjoy the meal once ( If it was good )
If the meal was bad , perhaps you get to enjoy it some more ... ( as it comes out )
But the quad keeps on giving you fun ..
I have had some 10 flights to date ? ( Its about 10 )
So that's about $1.60 Ozzi for each time I have fun ( So far )
SO I guess the mini quad is

Healthier
Money better spent
More Fun
and hopefully wont be number two'd for quite some time ...

My only complaint with my h8 mini is how the prop guards will sort of flap at or near full throttle and hit the props. In your video it sounds like yours are flapping just during normal flying. You can gently bend them down away from the props and they'll stay quiet for a while till they bend back up on the own. That makes it much quieter and more stable as well. I tried cutting off the guards but it turns out they're really good at protecting the props from breaking, so I put on a new top plastic housing. And since I was cheap about it, now I have a 2-tone h8 that's black on top and white on bottom.

Oh yeah... When you crash, sometimes the props get pushed down too far on the shaft and won't spin freely. So you just pop the offending prop off, put it back on and spin with your finger to make sure it's free. Simple.

The only hobby grade TX I have is made by radiolink and afaik there's no way to bind it to anything but a radio link receiver.

I will say this though... Even though I've only had 2 fpv flights with my custom e010, I can safely say that flying FPV is MUCH easier than flying line of sight! It's got me excited about quad's again, so much that I'm considering not ordering a replacement RC car if the one I want (wltoys a969b) ever comes back in stock.

As for my custom e010, my goal was to have something that's way more durable than the typical tiny whoop style where the cam and antenna are just stuck on top and easily damaged. I think I achieved that without question! I mean, just compare it to when I put the camera on my h8 mini!

Last edited:
Well tonight I received a return shipping label from them! About to print the label and box it back up, then have UPS pick it up tomorrow.
Follow up - I got the PayPal refund from tmart. Props to them for not giving me any real hassle! And I'm glad it was able to be returned to the US warehouse (where I ordered it from) so it got done quicker!

My only complaint with my h8 mini is how the prop guards will sort of flap at or near full throttle and hit the props. In your video it sounds like yours are flapping just during normal flying. You can gently bend them down away from the props and they'll stay quiet for a while till they bend back up on the own. That makes it much quieter and more stable as well. I tried cutting off the guards but it turns out they're really good at protecting the props from breaking, so I put on a new top plastic housing. And since I was cheap about it, now I have a 2-tone h8 that's black on top and white on bottom.

Oh yeah... When you crash, sometimes the props get pushed down too far on the shaft and won't spin freely. So you just pop the offending prop off, put it back on and spin with your finger to make sure it's free. Simple.

The only hobby grade TX I have is made by radiolink and afaik there's no way to bind it to anything but a radio link receiver.

I will say this though... Even though I've only had 2 fpv flights with my custom e010, I can safely say that flying FPV is MUCH easier than flying line of sight! It's got me excited about quad's again, so much that I'm considering not ordering a replacement RC car if the one I want (wltoys a969b) ever comes back in stock.

As for my custom e010, my goal was to have something that's way more durable than the typical tiny whoop style where the cam and antenna are just stuck on top and easily damaged. I think I achieved that without question! I mean, just compare it to when I put the camera on my h8 mini!

Its come good !
It was a bad motor , not the guard hitting the prop ..
One of these days I have to get my FPV in the air ..
But I really like cheap quads / heli's bound to a good Tx

I just wish those little toys had steering that was not fill tilt or nothing

I just wish those little toys had steering that was not fill tilt or nothing
Yes, servo steering...would be a dream at such scale, not to mention a differential, as the damn thing likes to go straight and takes a turn like a war ship :D

Flight video ..... ( PLz )

And here is the flight test of the Volantex V761-1 Trainstar:

Plan on doing something with my old spare V911 main board ( Something micro )

Next step will be to try a small AIO fpv and a larger battery :D

Plan on doing something like this .... ( The plan )
The 8mm motor is just sick ! ( Too hot for me )
I hope the 7mm I have can power a wing ..

Back