Dual core processors & dual micro SD cards?

peterharvey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Does anyone know roughly how long till dash cams get dual core processors & dual micro SD cards for twin remote lens dash cams with bigger sensors with 4K UHD yet larger pixels for superior ISO low light sensitivity, higher bit rate & faster write speeds onto two channels simultaneously?

163 days

It will happen exactly one day after you need it to prove your innocence in a car crash. At least that is how my luck usually works :p

The big impediment to such design advances is money. The dashcam market isn't going to generate the profits needed to make this happen soon. I'm sure this is possible today but we won't see it until it can be done profitably ;) Having said that, we also need to consider that hobbyists might bring us something, like in how the Mobuis cam came into existence :cool: If we compiled the knowledge and efforts of all the folks here on DCT into making a cam like this, we could probably have it in our hands within a year or two. That is asking a lot from the few who would bear the brunt of the workload, and in the end it would not really be worth their time to give their hard-earned knowledge away so freely.

Let me win the Powerball lottery and I'll have your cam built shortly thereafter. Until then I'm waiting with you :rolleyes:

Phil

The technology is already there done at taxpayers expense.. trouble is the military will not share what you paid them to develop.

I was only trying to get some ideas into Joikiin's head.
I forgot to include 120 fps.

I thought all the components for a top dashcam are already here, but some team must assemble it...

Have you thought about listing Street Guardian on your ASX stock market to get shareholder funding for R&D for such a super dash cam?

Have you thought about listing Street Guardian on your ASX stock market to get shareholder funding for R&D for such a super dash cam?

not something I would consider anyway but realistically it's not even an option, we're too small a company to generate enough interest for that to work

I worked for a large privately owned company previously that floated to generate capital for expansion and it was the death of the company, once you have to start making decisions based on what pleases shareholders you start doing things based on spreadsheets and board meetings driven by people that only have their own interests at heart

Regardless of the funding it would take to build a dual-processor "super dash cam", the fact is that such a product would likely be so costly that it would price itself out of the market. Additionally, a camera with larger sensors would require much larger remote lens modules with bigger lenses and as such they would therefore be less stealthy. The fact that a wide range of quality M12x.05 lenses are available off the shelf is one of the reasons that action cameras and dash cameras came into existence. Once you go to a larger sensor you would really need to use something along the lines of C-Mount lenses and that would change the equation dramatically, both in the cost of the product and the size of the product.

It will happen exactly one day after you need it to prove your innocence in a car crash. At least that is how my luck usually works :p

The big impediment to such design advances is money. The dashcam market isn't going to generate the profits needed to make this happen soon. I'm sure this is possible today but we won't see it until it can be done profitably ;) Having said that, we also need to consider that hobbyists might bring us something, like in how the Mobuis cam came into existence :cool: If we compiled the knowledge and efforts of all the folks here on DCT into making a cam like this, we could probably have it in our hands within a year or two. That is asking a lot from the few who would bear the brunt of the workload, and in the end it would not really be worth their time to give their hard-earned knowledge away so freely.

Let me win the Powerball lottery and I'll have your cam built shortly thereafter. Until then I'm waiting with you :rolleyes:

Phil
Nice :D

not something I would consider anyway but realistically it's not even an option, we're too small a company to generate enough interest for that to work

I worked for a large privately owned company previously that floated to generate capital for expansion and it was the death of the company, once you have to start making decisions based on what pleases shareholders you start doing things based on spreadsheets and board meetings driven by people that only have their own interests at heart
Remaining a privately held company would be my choice as well.

Dashmellow's dreams would come true if he had a quad remote lens dashcam, with quad core processors, and quad micro SD cards - to process and write data for four channels simultaneously, albeit at US$10,000.
And because it is a quad remote lens, may as well include a heat resistant built-in LiFePO4 battery pack at 12.8V and 20,000 mAH so he doesn't have to manually recharge and manually plug in the 5V USB power banks... :)

I'm sure Trump's Cadillac Beast already has this built in?
http://autoweek.com/article/car-new...ump-presidential-limousine-debut-inauguration

x02-1488439285-cadillac-presidential-limousine-06.jpg.pagespeed.ic.wsu5-hlLAI.jpg

Last edited:
Dashmellow's dreams would come true if he had a quad remote lens dashcam, with quad core processors, and quad micro SD cards - to process and write data for four channels simultaneously, albeit at US$10,000.
And because it is a quad remote lens, may as well include a heat resistant built-in LiFePO4 battery pack at 12.8V and 20,000 mAH so he doesn't have to manually recharge and manually plug in the 5V USB power banks... :)

I'm sure Trump's Cadillac Beast already has this built in?
http://autoweek.com/article/car-new...ump-presidential-limousine-debut-inauguration

x02-1488439285-cadillac-presidential-limousine-06.jpg.pagespeed.ic.wsu5-hlLAI.jpg

Hey @peterharvey I thought the multi-core large sensor super dash cam was your dream, not mine. ;) I don't recall ever voicing a wish for one but only offered some thoughts about the concept.

Anyway, I don't imagine such a camera costing 10,000 bucks but perhaps somewhere around $500-$750 as a wild guess. I think a higher end, dual processor, dual remote lens, large sensor 4K dash cam would be something similar to what today is otherwise called a "Prosumer" camera.

Last edited:
My dream is to have such a super dash cam built-in OEM from the factory...

or you may start supporting him by buying a dozen of SG ? Convince everyone you know buying SG ? :p

Back