Don't let its size detract you, make a carry case.

kobo

Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing I noted people complain about with the YI dash cam is its size, and color, making it less then discreet and an invitation to thieves.

I understand that concern, I frequently need to park in a town where it is of great concern, in fact I have already had a window smashed on my vehicle and items stolen in the past so I make sure I remove items, like my CB radio, when I leave my vehicle parked there.

As such, while researching the various car DVR's mobility was an important factor, being able to easily remove the unit from its mount and either use it in another vehicle or keep it in my pocket or bag. The fact that in the summer my vehicle turns into an oven, which kills Lithium ion batteries, also made the ability to remove it important and something everyone IMHO really should consider.

Why the makers of removable dashcams dont give you a carry case is beyond me but, if you're worried about it being stolen or getting baked, either keep handy a little case/bag to put it in, to protect the lens and view screen, or, as I did, make one....

YI%2002_zpszlfs0q5d.jpg

YI%2003_zpsdvqrbznr.jpg

The ring you see inside the case keeps the leather case (painted with an acrylic paint marker on the inside and a leather dye on the outside) from rubbing against the lens. Buying a cheap phone screen protector at a dollar store, cutting it to size, and sticking on the view screen will protect that as well.

The challenging part is making the part housing the lens but you all look like resourceful types. Do a youtube search on wet forming leather and take it from there.

Last edited:
Look good, You just need to press ""leica" or "Carl zeiss" in the leather;)

vintage-old-wwii-2-germany-leica-genuine-leather-cover-case-carl-zeiss-camera-24779786c0c02c1e0a3014c1dca66f81.jpg

Look good, You just need to press ""leica" or "Carl zeiss" in the leather;)

;-) Those old style cases are exactly what inspired me in the design.

I chose not to sew the lens cover part on only because I wsn't positive I could keep it neat sewing by hand.

I'm still puttering around with it though and may make one closer to what you posted.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
John Hedge Yi Dash Cam 0
J Yi Dash Cam 27
Back