Where did you mount the camera? Post your pictures

Just a final thought on the matter of "perfect" symmetry with dash cam placement along with an illustration.
Because of the "behind and just below" the rear view mirror state inspection sticker requirement where I live I've learned that what is basically required is decent coverage of both sides of the front of my vehicle. Perfect visual symmetry isn't necessary nor is mounting the dash cam in the exact center of the windscreen. In this example below, my dash cam (SG9665GC) is mounted about 4 inches to the right of the center post of my rear view mirror which gives me good access to the dash cam's screen and buttons and the camera is still well hidden behind the frit. It looks like some sort of nondescript OEM sensor from the outside.

All in all, the camera's FOV covers what I need it to cover, even if it is not symmetrically perfect. It's close enough.

BTW, this is known as the parking lot from Hell :mad: (due to out of control runaway shopping carts) because it is on a significant drainage slope and this contributes to the apparent tilt of the image. The poor engineering of this parking lot is nothing short of astonishing. When you return to your vehicle with a shopping cart full of groceries to load into your car, as soon as you let go of the shopping cart it begins to roll away! The entertainment on a windy day is to watch all the customers chasing their carts around the lot! :D)

GCsample.jpg

Last edited:
If you have an asymmetrical dash cam like my Street Guardian SGZC12RC, or a typical Blackvue DR650S, don't center the body of the dashcam - center the lens for a more beautiful video.
In time, your eyes will become accustomed to the offset mounting of the asymmetric dashcam.
You will ultimately appreciate a fully symmetrical video clip...

I used to have my SGZC12RC mounted in the most sensible & discreet place, peeking out from the dotted zone.

IMG_5414.JPG

But it's off centre location, forced by the sensor housing, got on my wick (haven't got any real problems so had to invent some :) ). I relocated it to immediately below the sensor housing, with the lens (not lens housing) being dead centre.

IMG_5415.JPG

I sprayed the mount matt black as part of the relocation process.

Last edited:
If symmetry is an absolute must for you one solution is to adjust the angle of the camera by 2-4 degrees (in most cars) by using an extra layer (or two) of 3M VHB tape on the right or left side of the mounting surface, perhaps covering 25 percent of the mount. If properly applied the camera mount will be as secure as one needs. It doesn't take much to reorient the camera so it is pointing center. Another solution is to devise (or purchase) a thin wedge to mount the camera on.

Last edited:
I sprayed the mount matt black as part of the relocation process.

I've noticed a number of people who have spray painted the SGZC12RC's mount black, and I was thinking of doing the same before I purchased my RC.
However, once I received my RC, just me only, but I haven't really felt the need to spray paint the clear plastic mount black.

As for OCD, and perfectly centering the RC's lens on the rear windscreen?
The rear windscreen is a little more sensitive to centering the lens, because the rear windscreen has a single center element demister, and many horizontal elements which "accentuate" the asymmetry in the playback video from the rear windscreen mounted dashcam.
However, it is never compulsory to have perfect symmetry; off center is never the end of the world or anything like that.

825690d1394284125-demister-not-working-rear-screen.jpg

Last edited:
I just grabbed that pic from search on-line with a http link, because I don't think this website has facility to insert your own pictures?

it does, just click the "upload a file" button

Hey guys! First post here. Thought I'd share my setup since this forum helped me with the information gathering leading me to purchase my A119S and Vico Power-PLUS.

Dashcam is mounted just below the dot matrix left of the rear view mirror (very discreet outside appearance), and Power-PLUS is on the passenger side footwell beneath the glovebox.

c1fba01d409f160745c486a5a51c8481.jpg

1b66cae34cc61dcb9742ca12c049e8bc.jpg

1fc6cda91572d1cfb6fb485922195a7e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kip
I put my A119 in the top tint of the window where the wipers would still clear. Its almost impossible to see from outside.
From the inside, if i ever had to push the ! button then i would have to move the mirror.DSC00211.jpg DSC00212.jpg

Hey guys! First post here. Thought I'd share my setup since this forum helped me with the information gathering leading me to purchase my A119S and Vico Power-PLUS.

Dashcam is mounted just below the dot matrix left of the rear view mirror (very discreet outside appearance), and Power-PLUS is on the passenger side footwell beneath the glovebox.

I put my A119 in the top tint of the window where the wipers would still clear. Its almost impossible to see from outside.
From the inside, if i ever had to push the ! button then i would have to move the mirror.

Don't you two guys find that your rear vision mirror has blocked access to your Viofo A119's input buttons and output LCD screen???

Don't you two guys find that your rear vision mirror has blocked access to your Viofo A119's input buttons and output LCD screen???

Mine is actually mounted just high enough that I can access all buttons without any problems. I had initially planned to mount it directly behind the mirror but it wouldn't fit due to the size and position of my Homelink mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't need any of the buttons, well, at least after the first week of messing with it constantly until i went back to default everything (i think).
I can still see the screen when it switches on so i know its working and that's all i need really.

Got a couple of mounts for the M1 and a few wedges in different angles and sizes printed using ABS.

The ones currently in use from BG are all in PLA.

IMAG0436.jpg

Attachments

• MetalBrace.jpg
    MetalBrace.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 33
Looks nice! Why so many cams.

The setup has changed since. The SG9665GC (front) and Mobius C2 (rear) are my main cams. A Mobius A2 (lot narrower FOV) takes the space previously occupied by the M2.

The A119S is a testing sample from VIOFO.

Back