2 weeks in; a lot to like

Scotty_Gun

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue 650S-2CH IR, Mobius
I've been running the 650s IR for a couple of weeks now. I bought this for recording while I drive for Uber. The exterior camera records beautiful color images, during the day and at night. The real selling point for me, though, is the interior infrared camera. The illuminators light up the whole cabin and the interior camera captures everything, when mounted above the rearview mirror.

I'm using a Kingston 128 GB Class 10 Mircro SD for storage. On Friday night, I recorded for 10 hours straight, with no issues. 10 hours recording on both cameras accounted for about 60% of the 128 GB.

I like the control interface via wifi and the Blackvue ios app. The camera configuration options are straightforward enough. I like being able to browse clips and to download them to my phone, in the event I need to examine or share something immediately. The GPS map is included in the offline playback. I thought that was a cool feature.

The Blackvue viewer software for PC is pretty good too. As a driver, it's great to know that I have my own GPS record of every trip. The timeline browser takes an hour or so to get used to. Once you understand it, though, the interface is very intuitive and it's easy to browse through a whole night or days' worth of clips, to find the videos that I'm looking for.

Just a few gripes. The maximum clip length option is 3 minutes. Other cameras that I've used have a 5 minute option and that would be my preference. My AT&T iPhone won't connect to LTE while interfacing with the camera over wifi. I wish there was another way to access the camera and stay online with my phone. My preference would be to have my phone be the access point and have the camera peer off of that.

Glad to hear you're liking it, this is our favourite dash cam for rideshare use.
Regarding the video clip length, I generally use 1 minute for quicker downloads.
If you typically access the videos through the memory card, it's not an issue.
But it's kinda annoying if you have to download a file and wait >2 minutes for it to transfer

The thing is, I'm taking footage from the most interesting rides and turning the clips into movies. I'm assembling and editing in Adobe Premier. The longer the clips, the easier that process is.

An average ride is about 15 minutes. So, 5 minutes seems to be the sweet spot, amounting to about 3 splices per track. 3 minute clips almost double that. It's not the end of the world though.

Remembering of course that in some jurisdictions it is illegal to video if the persons are not told it is being done and have given permission to do it

Last edited:
I wonder what Ubers position on recording clients (and making movies) is?.. Making movie clips of clients "interesting moments" sounds a bit, what can I say?.. perverted?

Sounds like you want to be a cash cab wannabee.. As trump would say Sad!

Thank you for the free and unsolicited legal advice. I have my bases covered, where informed consent is concerned and I presently have no plan to broadcast or redistribute the videos.

If you copy your video into computer, then bring your sd card to home and use adapter usb. That will be more quickly than copy by iphone. And your phone doesnt have to cosume a lot of power too

Yes, I transfer most of the files via the Micro SD card to my computer. I only use the wifi transfer to my phone as a novelty feature.

Looks like some sort of "fake taxi" clips-videos you recording.:cool::p:D:whistle:

Looks like some sort of "fake taxi" clips-videos you recording.:cool::p:D:whistle:
Nah.. Sounds like a pervert hoping to get something he can use for blackmail:vomit:

Thank you for the free and unsolicited legal advice. I have my bases covered, where informed consent is concerned and I presently have no plan to broadcast or redistribute the videos.

Why do it then if its not for distribution Do you want to play the" interesting" bits over and over just before you go to sleep.

Sounds very creepy and perverted to me. Another reason not to use Uber

Last edited:
Back