Just saying thanks for a decent cam

Wrecked

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9665SG (32GB Transcend card included)
Some here might know I owned a different dashcam recently and have returned it after finding it did not meet my needs. However I will NOT be returning my new Street Guardian! At least not unless it suffers some completely unexpected meltdown, which appears highly unlikely. After almost losing faith in inexpensive dashcams, I am indeed very pleased with this one. I cannot help but note several similarities between the SG and the other one... But it matters not, as the Street Guardian makes me happy and the other did not. Thanks very much to the Street Guardian folks that may or may not be lurking about in here. I really appreciate this device and all the hard work you put in to make it what it is: a fine and affordable dashcam for honest working folks on a budget. Well done.

that's why I stick with this brand now, best i've found after being burnt in the early years of dash cams by expensive crap cams.

I think I have used this marvellous little dashcam long enough now to state the obvious: it's terrific! It performs all needed functions well and without fuss. The windshields on all three vehicles it is rotated through are pitted, scratched, cracked and in generally poor condition (common up north) but the cam still captures adequate images with minimal flare and/or artifacts day or night. I am indeed most satisfied with this dashcam. I probably shouldn't say this out loud but, I no longer think I need a second and third entity as it is removed after use anyway to protect against heat damage and/or theft. Easy as pie to move about, only I did have to buy and modify two cellphone mounts to make it fit properly. The angle of the dangle in 2 of 3 installations is an issue when using the supplied mounts with the filter attached. Add a little velcro to the stands et voila! C'est magnifique! Extra gps units and wiring harnesses might prove to be a sensible purchases though...

It should be noted I am primarily using the included 32gb Transcend memory card with zero issues so far. I am doing subjective tests on several branded memory cards and once I have a bit more of a track record I shall post my results*. However I can already state one of the two Lexar 633x "High Endurance" cards purchased from The Source (ex Radio Shack) is dropping files like mad, while the other sold in the same blister-pack is fine. Dashcams do indeed try memory cards to the max and one should probably check for corrupted files regularly with any brand or model card. My experience is that faults will manifest fairly quickly if a card is having trouble with the workload. We shall see how long it takes before my "good" cards begin to corrupt absolutely and fortunately I have many uses for the casualties. Only negative being my little nest of vipers, aka The Ministry of War and Finance© and purported wife and former sweetheart might begin to object to this sudden and drastic increase in the memory budget. And the corresponding decrease in her own little slush-fund she thinks I don’t know about!

* All disclosures subject to complete denial in a court of law. Results may vary. No warranties included nor implied. Use caution while operating motor vehicles and always wash you hands after you go pee-pee.

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunately not the first issue reported with Lexar cards recently, they've changed something in the last few months as they used to always be great cards, not a brand we recommend any longer

It should be noted I am primarily using the included 32gb Transcend memory card with zero issues so far. I am doing subjective tests on several branded memory cards and once I have a bit more of a track record I shall post my results*. However I can already state one of the two Lexar 633x "High Endurance" cards purchased from The Source (ex Radio Shack) is dropping files like mad, while the other sold in the same blister-pack is fine.

Think the Lexar 633x is the "High Performance" card.
They also do a "High Endurance" card for Dash cams (without the 633x reference).

Does anyone know if the Lexar High Endurance cards are OK for dash cams? I have seen reported issues with the High Performance 633x cards.

Think the Lexar 633x is the "High Performance" card.
They also do a "High Endurance" card for Dash cams (without the 633x reference).

Does anyone know if the Lexar High Endurance cards are OK for dash cams? I have seen reported issues with the High Performance 633x cards.
I just looked at my new Lexar cards and they are both "High Endurance". I was only mistaken about the 633x designation.

I just looked at my new Lexar cards and they are both "High Endurance". I was only mistaken about the 633x designation.
Thanks. I have a SG9665GC on order (with 64GB card as part of the package). Am keeping my eye out for a spare card and was going to go for the Lexar High Endurance (as they're seem reasonably priced in the UK and Lexar say they are suitable for dash cams).

I will look for a different make now. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks. I have a SG9665GC on order (with 64GB card as part of the package). Am keeping my eye out for a spare card and was going to go for the Lexar High Endurance (as they're seem reasonably priced in the UK and Lexar say they are suitable for dash cams).

I will look for a different make now. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Your order incl. 64GB Transcend 400x, which has been proven to be reliable with SG9665GC, so there shouldn't be any issue. Just bear in mind to format time to time inside dashcam.
But any other tests, comparison and sharing your feedback from other memory cards are always welcome !

Does anyone know if the Lexar High Endurance cards are OK for dash cams

I started testing a 64gb card yesterday running for 15hrs on a powerbank............ I will check the card on my computer shortly
This one has a 2016 date on the packet so hopefully avoid what Jokiin is taking about

By the way fella, what sort of Ford Fiesta have you got ?............ I have a 2009 XR4 or ST150 in your country

I started testing a 64gb card yesterday running for 15hrs on a powerbank............ I will check the card on my computer shortly
This one has a 2016 date on the packet so hopefully avoid what Jokiin is taking about

By the way fella, what sort of Ford Fiesta have you got ?............ I have a 2009 XR4 or ST150 in your country

Afraid my Fiesta is very boring compared to yours! It's a 2012 Edge with 1.25 82PS engine.

I am probably the least likely person to sing the praises of anything without spending at least a little time actually using and abusing the product, so you can take it for what it's worth that I am -- so far! -- quite happy with the 32gb Transcend card that came with this nifty little dashcam. It is being heavily bombarded with rewrites yet has not dropped any data at all. Virtually all my other cards drop some data when used in a dashcam but the Transcend is yet to do so. I would imagine a 64gb might even be a better choice (I will gladly shut-up and bow to experience on this score) ) but I think we can safely assume the manufacturers of the Street Guardian diligently keep an eye on memory performance and would not recommend something that might come back to haunt them. They are so far the only ones NOT recommending the Lexar high endurance, which matches with my limited experience and in my opinion puts them squarely in front of the herd.

Call me old fashioned but I place honesty, diligent customer service and integrity before just about everything else when it comes to trade. Street Guardian is many miles ahead of the pack when it comes to such credibility and I consider it a bonus that their product is also highly reputable and exactly as described.

I am probably the least likely person to sing the praises of anything without spending at least a little time actually using and abusing the product, so you can take it for what it's worth that I am -- so far! -- quite happy with the 32gb Transcend card that came with this nifty little dashcam. It is being heavily bombarded with rewrites yet has not dropped any data at all. Virtually all my other cards drop some data when used in a dashcam but the Transcend is yet to do so. I would imagine a 64gb might even be a better choice (I will gladly shut-up and bow to experience on this score) ) but I think we can safely assume the manufacturers of the Street Guardian diligently keep an eye on memory performance and would not recommend something that might come back to haunt them. They are so far the only ones NOT recommending the Lexar high endurance, which matches with my limited experience and in my opinion puts them squarely in front of the herd.

Call me old fashioned but I place honesty, diligent customer service and integrity before just about everything else when it comes to trade. Street Guardian is many miles ahead of the pack when it comes to such credibility and I consider it a bonus that their product is also highly reputable and exactly as described.
+1

it probably costs us some sales to not be full of marketing fluff and BS numbers and features like 95% of this product category seems to be but I can do without the sleepless nights of doing that kind of business, if we're less successful because we don't play that game then so be it, I'd rather just do things the best we can and work on improving that

it probably costs us some sales to not be full of marketing fluff and BS numbers and features like 95% of this product category seems to be but I can do without the sleepless nights of doing that kind of business, if we're less successful because we don't play that game then so be it, I'd rather just do things the best we can and work on improving that
Agree

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J SG9665GC 8
Damn Dirty Ape SG9665GC 16
Back