How long will cam record? How long car battery will be charged?

slayer

Reaction score
Country
Poland
1. Hi, I would like to ask you, if 12,4 is recommended cutoff voltage (in article at dashcamtalk.com), and if standard car battery has about 12,5-12,6 voltage when engine is off ( I foud this info in Internet ), how long will Cam (GT550WS - about 430 mAh) record?

2. Second question is, how long (time) and how far (km) I have to drive to charge my car battery from 12,4 to 12,5-6 voltage (from 80-90% to 100%)?

Sorry for my english, I hope u will understand my questions and help me :). Im asking about it, because Im thinking what will be better - hard wired to car battery (fuses) or Xiaomi Powerbank 20 000 mAh with Quick Charge 2.0?

btw. Maybe it can help you, that I have Renault Fluence (2015), Pb95 1.6 16v.

1. Hi, I would like to ask you, if 12,4 is recommended cutoff voltage (in article at dashcamtalk.com), and if standard car battery has about 12,5-12,6 voltage when engine is off ( I foud this info in Internet ), how long will Cam (GT550WS - about 430 mAh) record?

2. Second question is, how long (time) and how far (km) I have to drive to charge my car battery from 12,4 to 12,5-6 voltage (from 80-90% to 100%)?

Sorry for my english, I hope u will understand my questions and help me :). Im asking about it, because Im thinking what will be better - hard wired to car battery (fuses) or Xiaomi Powerbank 20 000 mAh with Quick Charge 2.0?

btw. Maybe it can help you, that I have Renault Fluence (2015), Pb95 1.6 16v.

No way of answering that for several reasons.
1) It entirely depends on your car battery and your vehicles electronics.
2) No one short of an accomplished mathematician with a history in auto electronics would be able to calculate anything more accurate than a rough guess.

If you're worried about it, buy a battery pack like the Lukas LK-530-12V which will last up to 9 hours without needing a charge (which happens when you turn the car on)

What if you had a beefier car battery? Im thinking of replacing mine soon.

What if you had a beefier car battery? Im thinking of replacing mine soon.
The other option is installing a second battery which could either be isolated from the main battery or connected in parallel.
Depending on how many extra gadget you have running off the second battery, you might need a larger alternator to charge both batteries.
If you are only running one or two dashcams off the second battery it should last you well over 12 hours, depending on how many watts they draw.

All good answers so far. My old van has a rather large starting battery and I can run one average cam for about 36 hours and still start the engine, or I can run 3 cams for about 8 hours similarly. This level of discharge is not good for the battery so I do not normally push it that far ;) And most of today's cars do not have this much excess battery capacity nor can most of them easily be fitted with a larger battery :( Better for most to use a powerbank system due to simplicity and cost, but ideal is to use a large isolated auxiliary battery designed for deep discharging. Lots of hassle and costs with that though :rolleyes: Also remember that your SD card will need to be large enough to hold the entire parked time without over-writing. There's a calculator for that on the main DCT webpage (y)

Phil

. This level of discharge is not good for the battery so I do not normally push it that far ;) And most of today's cars do not have this much excess battery capacity nor can most of them easily be fitted with a larger battery :( Better for most to use a powerbank system due to simplicity and cost, but ideal is to use a large isolated auxiliary battery designed for deep discharging.
Phil
Depending on your climate, another option might be to use a solar panel to charge your battery.
On cloudy days you might have a bit of a problem though.

There's a lot of variation, all normal lead acid batteries lose capacity due to age, and don't deep cycle well, the fully charged voltage is 12.8volts for std lead acid although batteries with calcium in them can be as high as 13.6 without engine running, if you can check the electrolyte(acid) with hydrometre the specific gravity on fully charged will be 1.280 running a second battery will cause no issues for modern charging systems, but modern ecu controlled charging systems do not charge anywhere near as fast as older battery excited alternators, it will be fine so long as you don't do short journeys all the time.
Changing to a DEEP CYCLE or TRACTION battery will be much more suited to very low voltages, most cars will still start at 10 volts, unless battery is well knackered, sure it will turn over more sluggish but if maintained well should be ok.
If worried you can swap to a AGM/GEL these are massively better performance wise and at lower voltage where they suffer no harm, a popular move is to fit the diesel battery to the car, it normally has more a/h but mostly more cca, I changed mine from a 36amp/hour battery to 75 amp/hour, it's not listed for my car but fits, I have my voltage set to the minimum and never had a problem, battery is 3 years old and has 91% of original capacity.
AGM or Absorbed Glass Matt are the best but very expensive, though they do tend to last way way longer, spiral core AGM are even better still around 2 x the price of normal though

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Neil st3 Power Devices 4
Back