BlackVue Android Application, Directional Icons Incorrect

NetworkGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just installed a BlackVue DR650S-2CH (first one), and I'm seeing incorrect camera indicators when viewing the image on my phone application.

When watching the FRONT camera recording, the application icon indicates I'm seeing REAR facing video. When viewing the REAR camera recording, the application icon indicates I'm seeing FRONT facing video.

I cannot find any configuration setting to tweak this behavior. Is there a way to change it or is this normal for the BlackVue system?

I've attached screen shots showing both the FRONT and REAR viewing within the BlackVue application on my Samsung Galaxy S4 where I see these reversed indications of which camera is being viewed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_FRONT.png
    Screenshot_FRONT.png
    761.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_REAR.png
    Screenshot_REAR.png
    772.8 KB · Views: 12
See page 27 of the manual. "You can display only the rear camera files in the recorded video list by clicking the Front, and you can display only the front camera by clicking Rear".

The manual should be on your SD Card in the Blackvue Folder. If not, get it here - http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/contact-us/downloads/.

Good luck

Last edited:
See page 27 of the manual. "You can display only the rear camera files in the recorded video list by clicking the Front, and you can display only the front camera by clicking Rear".

The manual should be on your SD Card in the Blackvue Folder. If not, get it here - http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/contact-us/downloads/.

Good luck
Thanks JohnM. I looked at your link, but I think those links are outdated (no DR650S listed), so I went to BlackVue.com to grab the most up to date manual (https://www.blackvue.com/downloads/#1460710379863-99ab06a6-4348). I then searched on your string above (including portions of it), but it's not *exactly* present in the DR650S-2CH manual. What I did see was something similar to your statement, but the 2 items on that page are ambiguous. I included that page as an attachment and I've highlighted the 2 entries for reference.

The one labelled "Rear Camera" shows the circular button with the arrow pointing to the REAR of the car (seems intuitive in that it would mean you are viewing through the REAR camera). But the screen capture in the manual clearly shows a camera pointed out the FRONT windshield of the vehicle.

Below where it describes how the button works it indicates to "Press the rear button to switch to the rear dashcam view". In looking at the button's current icon, and because it alternates between the arrow pointing backward/forward, that seems to imply that "when it points to the REAR and you push the button, you will then be viewing from the REAR camera (but the icon would now point FORWARD).

I guess what I'm trying to find out is what everyone else sees with the same camera (DR650S-2CH) or is it the same for all camera models? Am I just misunderstanding BlackVue's purpose for the operation of that button?

If what you are saying is correct, it's not intuitive to me, and I would not mind seeing that changed (my $0.02 worth). So I'm hoping others can chime in and tell me if they see the same behavior.

Attachments

• DR650S-2CH Manual, Rear Button Description.png
    DR650S-2CH Manual, Rear Button Description.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi

I was obviously quoting from my older manual (DR650-2CH). By clicking the button you're getting the opposite to what you expect it to do. Be interesting to hear from other 650S owners.

Yeah, that "opposite of what you expect" is non-intuitive. Appreciate the comments. I would also be interested to hear thoughts from other DR650s owners.

If you push that button again does it not switch back and forth? I presume from what you said that it does, but it always shows the wrong view.

If you push that button again does it not switch back and forth? I presume from what you said that it does, but it always shows the wrong view.
Correct. The icon and video view changes when pressed.

Last edited:
You're misinterpreting the button icons. When watching the rear view, you select the front facing icon to switch to the front view. The icon doesn't represent the view you're watching...it shows the other view you can change to. Hope that's clear!

You're misinterpreting the button icons. When watching the rear view, you select the front facing icon to switch to the front view. The icon doesn't represent the view you're watching...it shows the other view you can change to. Hope that's clear!
I realize that it works the way you describe while "reviewing" video, but works opposite while watching "live" video. It's not intuitive to me about button operation in that mode. I think they should pick one way or the other and make the button work consistently across tasks within the application - regardless of the task. I'm not ranting, but find it odd that depending on the task, the button works differently. I find it poor user interface choice.

Last edited:
i think this is just part of the reason that our great cameras' app, gets crummy reviews .... 3 out of 5 stars.

i think this is just part of the reason that our great cameras' app, gets crummy reviews .... 3 out of 5 stars.
I don't know, but could be. I haven't rated the camera yet, but I would definitely take one star away for this inconsistent UI behavior. Maybe another star because my camera doesn't switch between "parking" mode and "normal" mode at what seems like a reasonable time. I can drive the car for several minutes, in which it beeps when the car hits any bump because it thinks it's still in PARKING mode. When it finally switches to "normal" mode, it announces that an impact was detected while parked! It's a bit frustrating, but I do not see a setting which controls this other than "automatic". When I'm only driving a short distance, I often get to my destination, park and turn off the car when the camera then announces that it's NOW in "normal" driving mode. By that time I'm gathering stuff to get out and lock the vehicle! More than a bit frustrating.

Last edited:
What you sayin' man..? I understand that the damn button "toggles" between the 2 views... That makes sense. I don't got one of those new fangled celly phones, so I'm not talking from experience.

But if the OP can change the view from one to the other than he has NO freakin' problem, right..??
He just has to figure it out..!
:confused:

What you sayin' man..? I understand that the damn button "toggles" between the 2 views... That makes sense. I don't got one of those new fangled celly phones, so I'm not talking from experience.

But if the OP can change the view from one to the other than he has NO freakin' problem, right..??
He just has to figure it out..!
:confused:
Figuring out how to operate the "button" was never the issue. Maybe confused from lack of reading comprehension? Great UI comes from consistency within the application. But keep posting, you'll get it right someday.

Figuring out how to operate the "button" was never the issue. Maybe confused from lack of reading comprehension? Great UI comes from consistency within the application. But keep posting, you'll get it right someday.
WTF..?? Are you on drugs?

No idea what you are talking about...

I'm outta here ....!

I realize that it works the way you describe while "reviewing" video, but works opposite while watching "live" video. It's not intuitive to me about button operation in that mode. I think they should pick one way or the other and make the button work consistently across tasks within the application - regardless of the task. I'm not ranting, but find it odd that depending on the task, the button works differently. I find it poor user interface choice.
Not sure what you're using to view video with, but the icon works the same way whether you're watching "live" video or "reviewing" video. It's single purpose is to switch to the opposite view...

Back