Next Viofo Cam

nothing negative, the Sony sensor will work well behind tinted glass, will be a good choice for that application I would think

I've been running my Mobius "B" in the rear of my truck for several years and it works laudably
. I have no need whatsoever to replace it but I've been intrigued by the WR1 as a potential replacement.

My Mobius "C" side cams have been working admirably for almost two years too through heavily tinted glass. Just needed to boost the exposure settings a certain amount.

Anyway, glad to hear that it would be a good choice.

..... but I've been intrigued by the WR1 as a potential replacement

Love the design ... almost perfect form for a rear - if only it was a 1440p and less chunky stem + a CPL.

I'm not interested in WiFi /phones ... I'd want to take the SD card out and use a card reader to change settings, if needed ... and viewing on my Computer

VIOFO moved down in quality and made it cheaper than the A119/s. As one other poster said earlier, I too would have liked a version at least on par with the A119, if not better ... and gone with 1440p and a more sleek attachment to the windscreen

Last edited:
I've been running my Mobius "B" in the rear of my truck for several years and it works laudably. I have no need whatsoever to replace it but I've been intrigued by the WR1 as a potential replacement.

My Mobius "C" side cams have been working admirably for almost two years too through heavily tinted glass. Just needed to boost the exposure settings a certain amount.

Anyway, glad to hear that it would be a good choice.

Unless it's heavily tinted, it shouldn't make a huge difference. All that will happen is the camera will up the gain at night / in low light to compensate, so you may see a bit more grain in the picture in those conditions.

Most cars have tinted windows these days anyway from the factory. May actually help a little in bright sunlight if the car is driving into the sun. EU and UK law restricts the amount of tint front and side. Not sure about US. Swings and roundabouts.

Love the design ... almost perfect form for a rear - if only it was a 1440p and less chunky stem + a CPL.

I'm not interested in WiFi /phones ... I'd want to take the SD card out and use a card reader to change settings, if needed ... and viewing on my Computer

VIOFO moved down in quality and made it cheaper than the A119/s. As one other poster said earlier, I too would have liked a version at least on par with the A119, if not better ... and gone with 1440p and a more sleek attachment to the windscreen

Maybe we might see a 1440P or 4K version if the Wr1 sells well. It's at the lower end on price so plenty of headroom to introduce a higher range model should they wish to do so.

Maybe we might see a 1440P or 4K version if the Wr1 sells well. It's at the lower end on price so plenty of headroom to introduce a higher range model should they wish to do so.

They should -----> WR2 ... with an aluminium front (not !00% plastic)

Similar to the A119 and A119s ... the 1080p and the 1440p

The reason it is only 1080 is that they have used a high sensitivity sensor so that it gives a good image in the dark, it is a good choice of sensor. Maybe the sensor manufacturers will produce a high sensitivity 4K sensor some day, but currently it doesn't exist.

Is it possible to have 1440p during the Day .. with a sensor that detects low light and switches over to 1080p automatically when light levels drop below a certain point?

You could simply change the setting in the menu to 1080p manually before going out at night, but it makes more sense for the Camera to do it, rather than having to get out and into the rear seat to do it each day ... and then changing it back again.

I will be having front and rear Cams .. only it won't be a dual system.

Last edited:
Is it possible to have 1440p during the Day .. with a sensor that detects low light and switches over to 1080p automatically when light levels drop below a certain point?

sure you could, it won't help though, native 1080p sensors have larger individual pixels than the higher resolution sensors which is why they offer better results in low light, it's not resolution that is the issue

Requires two different sensors. Dropping down to 1080p on a sensor that does 1440p doesn't equate to using a sensor with bigger pixels.

An aluminum face may be a step backwards ;) While it would offer more heat-sinking for the cam's electronics, it will also heat up if the sun hits it (which is likely) when parked, thus actually raising the cam's operating temps instead of lowering them :eek: As long as it's good plastic and doesn't melt, and as long as the cam performs correctly even in the summer heat, then I don't care what material the face is made of :p

This is an awesome form-factor which is bound to become very popular if the cam performs well, and I don't think it will be very long before we see how well it goes :D A few years ago Viofo wasn't even on the radar, and now he's all over the map prominently (y) This cam too shows why that is happening; he is listening to the people and giving them what they want and I expect that will continue. It's a great time to be a dashcam enthusiast :cool:

Phil

An aluminum face may be a step backwards ;) While it would offer more heat-sinking for the cam's electronics, it will also heat up if the sun hits it (which is likely) when parked, thus actually raising the cam's operating temps instead of lowering them :eek: As long as it's good plastic and doesn't melt, and as long as the cam performs correctly even in the summer heat, then I don't care what material the face is made of :p

This is an awesome form-factor which is bound to become very popular if the cam performs well, and I don't think it will be very long before we see how well it goes :D A few years ago Viofo wasn't even on the radar, and now he's all over the map prominently (y) This cam too shows why that is happening; he is listening to the people and giving them what they want and I expect that will continue. It's a great time to be a dashcam enthusiast :cool:

Phil
The front needs to be a heat shield, not a heat sink! It should be made out of ceramic like space shuttle tiles, but I guess thick plastic provides enough insulation. Note that the WR1 front face does protect all the rear from the sun rather better than most cameras.

The F1 takes a different approach, it doesn't really have a front face so it is only the lens that is in the sun, but I think that is probably designed more for aerodynamic reasons than being a cool 4K dashcam.

An aluminum face may be a step backwards ;) While it would offer more heat-sinking for the cam's electronics, it will also heat up if the sun hits it (which is likely) when parked, thus actually raising the cam's operating temps instead of lowering them :eek:

Although this seems to be the conventional wisdom I'm not so sure about this thinking anymore. Recently, I tore down an older CCTV camera and the way these cams are built really got me thinking about the differences between dash cam design and security cams. Most surveillance cameras are made with heavy cast aluminum alloy housings that are hermetically sealed. Inside are components that are very similar and in many cases identical to dash cam components. Many dash cams and CCTV cams use nearly identical lenses, sensors, DSPs (programmed differently, of course) and other parts. Unlike dash cams, CCTV cameras run 24/7 and sit baking in the hot sun all day with no issues for years at a time. I've never had a CCTV camera experience a heat related focus shift or electronic component failure (with the exception of failed IR emitters after more than 5 years in service). A properly designed and built all metal dash cam has the potential to be as stable as a decent CCTV camera.

A properly designed and built all metal dash cam has the potential to be as stable as a decent CCTV camera.

I can see your point, but are those CCTV cams of a similar SOC design? That could be a factor here too.

Phil

I can see your point, but are those CCTV cams of a similar SOC design? That could be a factor here too.

Phil

Yes. Ambarella for example produces different solutions using similar and sometimes nearly identical DSPs configured differently for different markets, including dash cams, IP surveillance cams, body cams, drone cams, etc. If you tear down a CCTV camera you will find a PCB that looks quite like the board in a dash cam.

Last edited:
A question about the Viofo 1.2 app. Anyone have the same issues when setting the date & time to sync with the device?

When I set mine to sync with the device, the time will change am to pm and pm to am, example 12:13 on my phone becomes 00:13 on the WR1 and vice versa. Only when I use manual set then it's ok.

Although this seems to be the conventional wisdom I'm not so sure about this thinking anymore. Recently, I tore down an older CCTV camera and the way these cams are built really got me thinking about the differences between dash cam design and security cams. Most surveillance cameras are made with heavy cast aluminum alloy housings that are hermetically sealed. Inside are components that are very similar and in many cases identical to dash cam components. Many dash cams and CCTV cams use nearly identical lenses, sensors, DSPs (programmed differently, of course) and other parts. Unlike dash cams, CCTV cameras run 24/7 and sit baking in the hot sun all day with no issues for years at a time. I've never had a CCTV camera experience a heat related focus shift or electronic component failure (with the exception of failed IR emitters after more than 5 years in service). A properly designed and built all metal dash cam has the potential to be as stable as a decent CCTV camera.

Although using the same or similar hardware, I think the lower bitrates and bigger housings contribute to better reliability in a 24/7 setting.

Although using the same or similar hardware, I think the lower bitrates and bigger housings contribute to better reliability in a 24/7 setting.

Bit rate might be a factor but I'm not so convinced about the size of the housing. Some of today's HD and UHD CCTV cameras are quite small. The fact is that you have very similar components to a dash cam inside a hermetically sealed metal housing with NO ventilation that sits in the hot sun running 24/7. At least where I live, these cameras also experience intense cold down to as much as 15-20º below zero F with no ill effects. Unlike a sealed outdoor CCTV camera, an aluminum alloy housing on a dash cam could have plenty of ventilation and could even include heat dissipating fins as you see on some surveillance camera designs.

Bit rate might be a factor but I'm not so convinced about the size of the housing. Some of today's HD and UHD CCTV cameras are quite small. The fact is that you have very similar components to a dash cam inside a hermetically sealed metal housing with NO ventilation that sits in the hot sun running 24/7. At least where I live, these cameras also experience intense cold down to as much as 15-20º below zero F with no ill effects. Unlike a sealed outdoor CCTV camera, an aluminum alloy housing on a dash cam could have plenty of ventilation and could even include heat dissipating fins as you see on some surveillance camera designs.
The difference is that the metal CCTV camera sitting in the sun is in contact with outdoor air which takes the heat away, dashcams are in contact with 90 degree C air near the roof of the car making it far harder for them to get rid of heat. The amount of heat absorbed from the sun is more to do with the colour than the material, the problem with metal is that it will conduct it inside the camera much faster than plastic so is not a good sun shield.

The difference is that the metal CCTV camera sitting in the sun is in contact with outdoor air which takes the heat away, dashcams are in contact with 90 degree C air near the roof of the car making it far harder for them to get rid of heat. The amount of heat absorbed from the sun is more to do with the colour than the material, the problem with metal is that it will conduct it inside the camera much faster than plastic so is not a good sun shield.

I disagree. My CCTV cameras are dark charcoal grey. They sit roasting in the hot summer sun all day. The heat that builds up inside a sealed CCTV camera is considerable. I believe you are ignoring the fact that the components in a CCTV camera are inside a small sealed housing with no way for the heat to escape regardless of ambient air flow. In addition, the components inside the sealed CCTV cam are generating their own heat that cannot escape.

A similar housing but with ample ventilation would likely run much cooler than the sealed housing baking in the sunshine regardless of being inside a vehicle.

Another factor with CCTV cams is how they are built. The components are mounted within rigid metal structures and the PCBs are often mounted on heat dissipating metal plates. Another factor is that the lenses are mounted more securely, usually with metal surrounds. The metal components may get hot but they are dimensionally stable compared with plastic dash cam housings and other parts which reduces the likelihood of focus shifts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W WR1 48
W WR1 0
Yooshaw WR1 3
J WR1 4
J WR1 5
Back