Innovv K1 Recurring Problem

circle-5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Innovv K1
I installed an Innovv K1 dual-camera system (leaving out the GPS) on my Honda Goldwing F6B in October, 2016. In all these months, the DVR has repeatedly crashed every few days, always in the middle of a trip, seemingly without reason. Am I the only one this is happening to? I have tried to isolate the origin of this bug with Helen Chen at Innovv since it first happened: I removed the front camera, then the rear camera (to reduce the data flow), lowered the resolution, switched camera ports, tried three different ultra-fast Micro-SD cards, installed ferrite chokes on all the cables, re-installed the firmware, installed the latest, re-designed Innovv cable clip, and on and on and on. Nothing works.

In my opinion, the problem comes from the DVR itself, or its firmware. Innovv appears to be a very small company (2 people?) in China. They have not agreed to swap the DVR for a new one, even though that would answer many questions, or even fix the problem.

Now they're grasping at straws. They claim the power supply in my F6B is unstable (it's a friggin battery!) and want me to purchase a "Power Socket" device to regulate the voltage. Except this device does not regulate the voltage! All it does is delay the on/off switching of the accessories connected to it by 10-12 seconds, to avoid any potential power spikes or voltage fluctuations from the starter motor or solenoid.

My K1 system is still under warranty. I'm not sure what I should do next, except replace it with something I can depend on. Please share your Innovv K1 experiences (good or bad) on this thread.

The K1 is still (theoretically) the best motorcycle dashcam on the market: it has all the features I want, the video quality is excellent, the image-stabilization software is remarkable, etc. But I would trade all of this for something that is reliable. After all, that is what anyone should expect from a security device.

It is a bit surprise to hear that we do refuse to swap the DVR for a new one that betrays our rules,

Once customer report issue, we do work together with customers on trouble shooting, to do some checks and see what is wrong indeed like you mentioned.

The most problems could be solved because of low speed SD card, unstable power supply, interference from bike and ferrite chokes are needed.

Still have problems could not be solved, so we do check which parts is wrong and do replacement or refund after customers sent parts or whole set back.

We do following up the above rule since beginning and that is the reason we built up the reputation.

As you mentioned, The K1 has unique features for motorcycling and people like it, but still has interference with some bikes, that we have spent time to see what is wrong indeed.

I have tried to isolate the origin of this bug with Helen Chen at Innovv since it first happened: I removed the front camera, then the rear camera (to reduce the data flow), lowered the resolution, switched camera ports, tried three different ultra-fast Micro-SD cards, installed ferrite chokes on all the cables, re-installed the firmware, installed the latest, re-designed Innovv cable clip, and on and on and on. Nothing works.

Base on the above, I'd suggest you to send whole set back and get refund.

You can purchase it again after you see the problem was solved.

It is a bit surprise to hear that we do refuse to swap the DVR for a new one that betrays our rules,

Base on the above, I'd suggest you to send whole set back and get refund.

You can purchase it again after you see the problem was solved.

Thank you Rock. I will ask Helen again if we can swap the DVR. That's the only thing that has not been tried yet. Otherwise yes, I will regrettably have to return the K1. I can probably use 2 Innovv C-5 systems instead (one for the front and one for the rear). The C-5 seems to be very-well built, with a strong USB camera connection.

The new INNOVV C5 system should be quite robust with the ground up extra effort put into it.
(very smart decisions on chip set, cables, connectors, components, housing, private tooling, you name it)

Good to know. I hope Innovv puts the same effort into their 2-camera system at some point – they will have a winner. Is OCD Tronic a stocking dealer for Innovv?

Good to know. I hope Innovv puts the same effort into their 2-camera system at some point – they will have a winner. Is OCD Tronic a stocking dealer for Innovv?

Yes :)

I'm sure there will be a new dual channel product in development at some point but you probably won't see it until 2019. (lots of work, one thing at a time)

I installed an Innovv K1 dual-camera system (leaving out the GPS) on my Honda Goldwing F6B in October, 2016. In all these months, the DVR has repeatedly crashed every few days, always in the middle of a trip, seemingly without reason. Am I the only one this is happening to? I have tried to isolate the origin of this bug with Helen Chen at Innovv since it first happened: I removed the front camera, then the rear camera (to reduce the data flow), lowered the resolution, switched camera ports, tried three different ultra-fast Micro-SD cards, installed ferrite chokes on all the cables, re-installed the firmware, installed the latest, re-designed Innovv cable clip, and on and on and on. Nothing works.

I had the same issues as well on my ST1300, but After RMA with flashing a broken firmware (they have pulled it since then) and returning my unit back to Helen, the same issues were still present. the DVR unit was locking up and rebooting. They had me jump through hoops and finally found the issue on my own.

It was for me on two units, the supplied #4 USB power cable that was six inches long! I have two units one for my car and one for bike and both units (K1 & K1S) and I resolved the crashing and recording errors during riding/driving. To fixed this I used the supplied #4 power cable with the A/V output, this allowed me to use what ever usb cable I want. And for the first time since I bought this DVR unit last year, that my entire week road trip (all 1500 miles) was recorded without losing a single mile. Just remember when using this cable the DVR unit will turned off the screen when its plugged in!

I have two #4 USB power, one from Kowloon CAR DVR and my motorcycle DVR from Innovv , it has same unit & same USB power AND same power issues. I also found these units tend to lock when starting on my ST1300, I think because of the tiny batteries in these bikes, as my car with a 800 CCA rating, can supply enough juice to the starter motor and DVR. So I installed the Innovv powerhub for the timing delay. And since last week I have zero issues other than making sure I keep the bugs off the front lens for the first time in 11 months of fighting with this unit.

Try it out and let us know, I'm saying it may not help you but I have feeling that it will. Because if I threw the stock wire back on again, the same blooding issues came back!

Last edited:
Honda Goldwing, lucky bugger wish I had one, I love them like an armchair on wheels!!

It was for me on two units, the supplied #4 USB power cable that was six inches long! I have two units one for my car and one for bike and both units (K1 & K1S) and I resolved the crashing and recording errors during riding/driving. To fixed this I used the supplied #4 power cable with the A/V output, this allowed me to use what ever usb cable I want. And for the first time since I bought this DVR unit last year, that my entire week road trip (all 1500 miles) was recorded without losing a single mile. Just remember when using this cable the DVR unit will turned off the screen when its plugged in!

Thanks Moto'Freak, sorry you've been through the same endless frustration with the Innovv K1, but it's good to know there might be a solution to this. I want to be sure I understand exactly what you did: I think you unplugged the USB power cable from socket #4 and plugged it into the A/V output (on the other side of the DVR), as shown in the attached photo. Is that correct? I don't want to do this before checking with you. As for the 10-second delay on ignition, Innovv apparently figured this out also and recently upgraded the 12v/5v converter with an extra wire, which adds the same delay feature as the PowerHub1. So I ordered this upgraded converter, as suggested by Helen. It should be on its way.

Thanks again for your help and advice. Je parle Français couramment, si vous préférez.

Innovv K1 Power Cable.jpg

Honda Goldwing, lucky bugger wish I had one, I love them like an armchair on wheels!!

Actually, the Goldwing is more comfortable than any armchair, and way more fun. Unless you're stuck in city gridlock – then you quickly realize it's a 1000-lbs motorcycle!

In the uk we have a Honda museum called David Silver(Honda) Spares, it is mega heaven if you like Honda's many wings in there too some very rare bikes there too even SANDCAST Honda CB 750!!

NO I plugged it on the left side in the #4 slot at the bottom and used my own cable. The usb connect on the right side is PC transfer only ( I believe)

Alors c'est plus que moi :)

NO I plugged it on the left side in the #4 slot at the bottom and used my own cable. The usb connect on the right side is PC transfer only ( I believe)

OK – I'm glad I asked! Unfortunately, I won't be able to use my own cable, because the supplied #4 USB cable is hard-wired into the new voltage converter (see attached photo). If you are using a female-male USB extension cable, do you have a link for the one that fixes the problem? Thanks again!

Innovv DC-DC Converter.jpg

032216-Innovv-K1-Motorcycle-Camera-6688.jpg

I just used the A/V (Yellow RCA wire at the top ) power wire then used any USB cable of your choosing. Also I have wired up my bike with two USB power converters ( http://a.co/fgaoA8G ) and thats where the power comes from.

Last edited:
Ah ... NOW I get it! I completely forgot about that little A/V cable. Thank you for clarifying – I would have never thought of trying this. You are correct about the screen being disabled now, but that's not an issue for me. I will post the results of this fix after I install the new Innovv DC/DC converter with the built-in delay (it's still in the mail).

Hi Gents,
Very, very interesting thread to me than this one...it allowed for my own issue to be cancelled out!!
Just in case it could help some other people as it did for me, let me explain...
I also have a K1S front-rear dual cam system (from Koonlung) and have been wondering for MONTHS, turning in circles, why it was impossible for it to show any picture while recording, also not showing any playback, no visible menu etc....though it used to work fine on my desk BEFORE installation into my car!

Thanks to the above posts -thanks a bunch Moto Freak- I clicked there may have been something about this USB port supply and my black screen issue...

Eventually, issue with it was that i installed it using that bl..dy A/V cable to supply it, as it is meant for!
Let me tell you: this cable prevents ANY screen picture from appearing if it is used to connect an USB supply or EVEN if is simply plugged in port #4 of the recorder while not supplying it (i.e. using inside battery) and not connected elsewhere at all!!!
once i removed it, all menus and pictures came back...
So as a conclusion for K1S systems: make sure you DO NOT supply the recorder unit using this A/V cable, but directly feed the unit with clean +12V , to avoid the screen to desperately turn black....
Be aware (I confess) I did not try the software releases that have been issued since I bought the system; behaviour of the K1 S may be different with a different SW version.

Hope this helps.
Kalamin
BTW: je parle aussi français couramment si cela peut vous aider...

Ouupppssss! yes, sure;
I "forgot" mentioning that +12V to +5V adapter from thecigarette lighter. (shame on me)
Thanks Jokiin

Here is my final report on this issue. The problem (crash of the K1 DVR system) was caused by power voltage fluctuation (surge) interference from the motorcycle starter. The Innovv K1 DVR would always boot up exactly when the bike was started, which explains why the K1 crashes occurred frequently. The solution was to insert some kind of automatic time-delay ahead of the K1, to allow the power voltage to stabilize before the K1 would get powered up.

The first attempt was to acquire and replace the K1's 12V –> 5V voltage converter with the latest updated version, which includes an extra wire that triggers a 10-second delayed power-up. That simply does not work. There is a delay on shut down (the K1 stops a few seconds after engine shut-down) but no delay whatsoever on startup. The problem continued.

My next step was to install an Innovv Power Hub ahead of the K1. This is a power distribution box, which also advertises a 10-second power delay. This device sounded ideal. Unfortunately, the PowerHub's built-in delay fluctuates randomly and considerably, from between zero to 8 seconds, mostly centered around 2 seconds, which is insufficient. However, having this device installed proved that I was on the right track, with K1 crashes reduced by 50% or more. I don't know if this happened to be a defective PowerHub, but I even tried to install it in series with the Innovv 12V –> 5V voltage converter, which should have given me a 20 second delay. This never happened, either on the bike or on the bench. I suspect that Innovv uses a capacitor discharge to "calculate" its 10-second delay in both devices, as opposed to a digital clock. This is just speculation, but it would explain both the low-cost and the random time-delay variations.

The solution: Stay away from the Innovv PowerHub and install a Rowe Electronics PDM60 power distribution module in its place. The PDM60 is pricey, especially if you use it only for its (programmable) delay feature like I did, but I FINALLY got my Innovv K1 to work reliably (about 98% of the time). It still crashes on occasion because it's a complex and finicky little bugger, but I can now basically rely on it, which is the no.1 thing that matters in any security device.

My opinion: The 10-second power-up delay should have been built into the K1 from the beginning, considering how many other features Innovv crammed into it. It took me over a year and countless hours of diligent efforts to finally conquer this problem. The K1 is no longer under warranty, but it works as advertised. I'll be getting the new 2018 GoldWing soon, and have no intention of installing another K1. Instead, I think that a couple of Innovv C5s might be a better way to go. Who cares if the front and rear videos are on separate SD cards?

I want to give an A for effort to the folks at Innovv, who tried their best to figure things out on their end. I hope this helps K1 users: don't throw your K1 away – there is hope!

Thanks for the update, I've been having issues myself. I ordered a cheaper power delay unit I'm going to wire in when they arrive.

Back