LS650W

ursamajor

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A129+, LS650W, GoClever DVR Extreme Gold
Hi, all! Next thursday I'll take my camera from the postal office, because they work with custom only one day a week. I've already been notified that it arrived. Mine was bought from Foxoffer. I'll try to write a mini-review after I'll use it some time.
I hope the thread will help those who own this camera and it will be the thread where to post news about firmware, possible problems etc.

Indeed, the delivery from Foxoffer to my country took 2 weeks and from the border to me about the same. Usually, the delivery from China took much more, at least double. Singpost seems to do it well.
Ehehe, sometimes it's frustrating, but now I'll be patien. Already I waited some time, so, I can wait a few. :)

Indeed, the delivery from Foxoffer to my country took 2 weeks and from the border to me about the same. Usually, the delivery from China took much more, at least double. Singpost seems to do it well.
Ehehe, sometimes it's frustrating, but now I'll be patien. Already I waited some time, so, I can wait a few. :)

Express post would be quickest ( most EU 3-4 days DHL ), but of course you pay more for quick service. So there are pros and cons paying only for economy delivery.

Of course, I'll never use a postal service who costs more than the package.

yes I've heard this before in your country, frustrating when you're waiting for something
It's not like that in every city. I received the notification on Friday and took the package on Monday.

well I just sent a package out yesterday to Romania using a different method to normal, will be interesting to see how long it takes

It's not like that in every city. I received the notification on Friday and took the package on Monday.
Most likely you're from capital city, Bucarest. Or I'm wrong? The confirmation would only show that we are living in a bananier country... what I already know.

Nope, but it's a big one: Cluj-Napoca

I have it! Thanks Foxoffer and thanks to you, those who helped me to decide! Today I took it from the postal office. Some words of introduction: the built isn't the best (cheap materials, imho), but it seems very compact, firm. No plays, no squeaking. I drove with it on board about 15 minutes, I looked the videos on my PC and they are very sharp and clear. I just love the huge wide angle! It's simply awesome for our cities and it gives the possibility to capture more action. For example, the extremities of the FOV (field of view) of the camera exceed the eye FOV, the objects disappearing firstly from eye FOV, only then from camera FOV. The plate numbers are easily visible at 2-2,5 even 3 lengths of a car, far enough, imho.
I'll be back (Arnold's words) after I'll test it on the night. Maybe I'll upload some videos too.

Systematizing,
I like:
- the general look of the camera, despite the cheap materials they used,
- the wide angle,
- the sharpness and the clarity given by the optics,
- having buttons for more functions (for example, for mute the microphone, or for disable Live View, by pressing shortly the Power button, emergency button, for saving files etc.)
I don't like:
- the package don't have HDMI cable, only AV-out cable, altough in the manual they say it's standard,
- for now, no possibility to make car plate numbers personalization, maybe with the next firmware,
- the lens is bulging (all wide angle lens are so) outward (about 1 mm) and could be accidentaly scratched.
The relatively low bitrate is a category that I cannot decide how to characterize. It's good, because the space for saving the files is smaller, but it's not so good, because it's a compromise to quality.

For now, that's all. I'll fill the list as I will use the camera.

I uploaded a file to Youtube, but Youtube kills the quality. The clarity of the raw file is way better:

Tested it in the twilight and in the night. Its performance it's enough for me... for the price. I believe that an increased bitrate would improve the quality of videos, especially in low light. I think that would be too much if I would request from the vendors (are you "listening" Foxoffer?) to ask a firmware with the possibility of choosing between two bitrates: one for space saving (it's good enough the existing one) and one, bigger (maybe 20 Mbits/s or even more), for quality. There are some unexplored (yet) possibilities (as the exposure) which may improve the quality of low light videos, by decreasing the exposure time and, therefore, the image would become less "washy", because of the effect of panning. I'll test these settings and I'll post the results up here.
The camera is, imho, a best buy and I recommend it to those who want a good-large wide angle and good capabilities in low light.

I attach some screenshots from some videos taken this evening.

nothing wrong with that night quality, a higher bitrate would just waste space, the levels you're talking about would be excessive and lead to other problems

Maybe you're right, but I would stay more confortable having the possibility to choose manually some parameters, such as bitrate, exposure etc. I'm coming from a domain where I'm already do it: astrophotography. :)
Or... there is another discouraging possibility, the possibility that the sensor shows its limits. ;)
Anyway, I'm very happy with the camera, it's a good unit, with sharp optics.

I forgot to mention that the camera can be used as webcam and it can be used with softwares as: amcap, sharpcap etc. It's a big "+" for it!

I admit that I don't know so much about firmwares, but still I think that the programmers could let some features unlocked. In fact, these DVRs are a little advanced webcams... unfortunatelly, with manual controls locked, as you can see bellow. ;)

Off topic: The camera is seen as J1455 device. I wait the time when it will be produced an auto DVR with a more sensitive sensor and full control to modify it for astrophotography. It would have the advantage that it records on memory card. For now, I use a modified Microsoft Lifecam Studio with Omnivision sensor (OV2710) and I need the laptop for recording, which is a "minus"... Think to this idea; could be an opportunity to increase your business. In case you want the copyright of the idea, don't forget me. :)))

LOL nice Video bit naughty driving across the parking area. Slaps your hand...

PS you might want to take a photo of the camera as it looks in the car. its nice to see the position and how visible it is.

Back