Can the dash cam's graphic display not be eliminated on video sent over an A/V or HDMI cable?

Vancouver98STi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Viofo G1W-S
I very recently bought a Viofo G1W-S through OCD Tronic. My plan for it may or may not be unique. Yes, it'll be functioning as a regular dash cam... but it'll also be supplying live video (using an A/V cable) to a 7" LCD dash mounted screen. Why? Because I have a RHD vehicle ('98 JDM Impreza STi) in a LHD country (Canada). The dash cam will be mounted to the extreme left of the windshield. This will allow me to see "around" any cars coming towards me who are turning left in an intersection when I'm also trying to turn left going the other way. If you've never been in this predicament, it's probably difficult to imagine how almost impossible it is to see who's coming through the intersection before making a left turn... while sitting on the right-hand side of the vehicle! Any cars lined up turning left coming the other direction completely block the view.

So, my question... Is there not a way to turn OFF the dash cam's graphic display that is sent over an A/V (and/or HDMI) cable? I don't need to be seeing all that distracting camera info displayed on my connected monitor. I just need to see who's coming towards me!

there's no off option for the graphics, it's all arranged around the border of the picture anyway and not really distracting once you're used to it

there's no off option for the graphics
That appears to agree with my findings. However, I'm still rather surprised that some software engineer somewhere feels that the graphic display needs to show up on a secondary monitor. Makes no sense!

it's all arranged around the border of the picture anyway and not really distracting once you're used to it
You may very well be correct (as I haven't used this system yet)... but it's totally unnecessary, and would probably be quite easy to eliminate in a firmware update.

the secondary monitor is generally not used for what you have in mind so it's understandable that they don't think to have an OSD off option, we have done that on some previous models but it was a different chipset used and it wasn't too hard to add the function, it could probably be done in firmware but there's probably other more important things that development resources should be allocated toward for most brands

Why don't you use a reverse camera (with front view flip)

Its much smaller and easier to mount. Its just an RCA cable to the LCD and 12v wire to ignition.

Its much smaller and easier to mount. Its just an RCA cable to the LCD and 12v wire to ignition.

that's a good suggestion, not all models will reliably run constantly powered but if you choose the right type it's a good solution

Because I want a dash cam to also record what's going on. And this G1W-S has both an A/V out and HDMI out. It should've been perfect for this application. I had no idea that on screen graphics would be sent down the pike to a connected monitor. It's really quite silly. And no, I'm not going to purchase and install a second camera. Ain't happening. ;)

Because I want a dash cam to also record what's going on. And this G1W-S has both an A/V out and HDMI out. It should've been perfect for this application. I had no idea that on screen graphics would be sent down the pike to a connected monitor. It's really quite silly. And no, I'm not going to purchase and install a second camera. Ain't happening. ;)

the normal application for the AV out is to connect to a larger monitor like an in dash screen for ease of use and playback, the OSD is pretty much preferable in this situation, for playback it only shows whatever is embedded in the video, the overlays are not there

the secondary monitor is generally not used for what you have in mind so it's understandable that they don't think to have an OSD off option
Well, I'm curious then... What possible advantage is there to have the OSD show up on a connected monitor? If it's to be able to access the menu, well geez, that could be done before connecting the secondary monitor.

we have done that on some previous models but it was a different chipset used and it wasn't too hard to add the function, it could probably be done in firmware but there's probably other more important things that development resources should be allocated toward for most brands
Being able to clearly see who's headed in my direction (and not being distracted by irrelevant camera settings) is rather important to me... and to anyone else who might use a dash cam for this purpose. I can't be the only person on the planet who's thought of doing this. It would also obviously work for anyone in a RHD country who's imported a LHD vehicle from North America.

Here's the issue I face with a RHD car in my LHD world. Advance to 1 minute 50 seconds...

And here's how they deal with it in Russia... using mirrors!

I'm just trying to rectify the issue with some 21st century technology! Where can I send my feature request to turn off the OSD? There's no need at all for display graphics to be sent over connected A/V and/or HDMI cables!

Well, I'm curious then... What possible advantage is there to have the OSD show up on a connected monitor? If it's to be able to access the menu, well geez, that could be done before connecting the secondary monitor.

people that connect the AV out generally do that as a permanent setup, not something they keep changing, not many actually use this function, your usage scenario would be an even smaller group of users I would think

Well, I'm curious then... What possible advantage is there to have the OSD show up on a connected monitor?
Shows that it is indeed recording, the time is correct and gps is connected.

My cam is hidden behind my rear view mirror so i cant see its status, thats why i have it connected to my headunit.

Shows that it is indeed recording, the time is correct and gps is connected.

My cam is hidden behind my rear view mirror so i cant see its status, thats why i have it connected to my headunit.
Okay, I can now see how it's advantageous in your situation. Thanks for your feedback.

people that connect the AV out generally do that as a permanent setup, not something they keep changing
All the more reason to be able to turn off the OSD if desired!

...not many actually use this function, your usage scenario would be an even smaller group of users I would think
So, here's a market that could be developed then. If people will install bulky mirrors inside their cars (as seen in that Russian video), they'd certainly be open to using modern technology to achieve the same goal.

Do you work for Viofo by any chance? If so, please pass my concerns and wishes along! Thanks.

Last edited:
Okay, I can now see how it's advantageous in your situation..

keep in mind not many people use this function but the majority that do would be using in the same type of scenario

So, here's a market that could be developed then. If people will buy and install bulky mirrors inside their cars (as seen in that Russian video), they'd certainly be open to using modern technology to achieve the same goal.

the reverse cam suggestion was actually a really good idea, you could place the camera in a much better position for your intended purpose also, the AV out from a dashcam would be better than nothing but isn't going to offer an ideal field of view for your particular application

Do you work for Viofo by any chance? If so, please pass my concerns and wishes along! Thanks.

no I don't sorry, you can message @viofo here though and give them your idea, you never know, don't ask, don't get

the reverse cam suggestion was actually a really good idea, you could place the camera in a much better position for your intended purpose
As stated earlier, I wanted a dash cam for it's recording ability... and I'm not buying and installing a second camera. The G1W-S is quite small, it'll fit fine where I wish to locate it. It's not like I'm trying to mount an old Betacam on the inside of my windshield. ;)

s-l225.jpg

... the AV out from a dashcam would be better than nothing but isn't going to offer an ideal field of view for your particular application.
I'm not sure what the issue would be... the wide field of view? If so, I might try zooming in a bit.

no I don't sorry, you can message @viofo here though and give them your idea, you never know, don't ask, don't get
I will do that. Thanks very much.

Need add an OSD option, I will check with our engineers.
Normally we do this for all of our action cameras, not done in dash cams before.

fitting a extra monitor via RAC leads extra don't forget will only give you poor SD card viewing not HD

Need add an OSD option, I will check with our engineers.
Normally we do this for all of our action cameras, not done in dash cams before.
I would certainly appreciate you doing that. Thank-you very much!

fitting a extra monitor via RAC leads extra don't forget will only give you poor SD card viewing not HD
Keep in mind with my envisioned application that I'm more concerned with preventing accidents and potentially saving lives... than with image pixel count. And isn't that ultimately what dash cams are all about?

Hopefully an OSD option is something that is relatively simple to implement in a firmware update. My fingers are crossed!

Just in case anyone has been reading this thread and they're still not 100% sure what the issue is when turning left while driving a RHD vehicle in a LHD environment... I've adapted this diagram to perhaps better express my concerns.

The unhappy smiley face represents the driver's perspective while sitting on the right hand side of the car. The white arrow represents his very limited line of vision around the truck... which is sitting in the intersection while waiting to turn left going the other way. The driver of the RHD vehicle cannot see the approaching car in the far lane. However, the dash cam mounted on the left side of the windshield (and which is connected to a dash-mounted monitor), has a very good line of vision (represented by the blue arrow) of the same car. This would be extremely useful in helping to prevent accidents!

RHD.jpg

Just in case anyone has been reading this thread and they're still not 100% sure what the issue is when turning left while driving a RHD vehicle in a LHD environment... I've adapted this diagram to perhaps better express my concerns.

I know the feeling, when you drive across the border from China to Hong Kong you go from left hand drive to right hand drive environment

plenty of left hand drive imports driving on the opposite side of the road in our market also

...when you drive across the border from China to Hong Kong you go from left hand drive to right hand drive environment
I guess the same thing occurs when drivers cross the Chunnel between France and the UK.

This map shows LHD/RHD worldwide distribution.

RHD_or_LHD.jpg

Last edited:
Back