Best micro SD card?

Okay, I have been through several hot days with my 256GB SanDisk card mentioned above, and the camera continues to perform flawlessly. Even one day when the car was parked outside for several hours with the sun shining directly in on the BlackVue, the camera & card performed flawlessly after startup. It has been close to 7 months now that I have been using the card and I have only experienced one reset in all that time that can't be blamed on factors like turning it on or off.

Okay, I have been through several hot days with my 256GB SanDisk card mentioned above, and the camera continues to perform flawlessly. Even one day when the car was parked outside for several hours with the sun shining directly in on the BlackVue, the camera & card performed flawlessly after startup ......snip......
that's not the deal ... it's NOT the fact that the blackvue will run AFTER you turn it on - the predictable problem of heat shutting it down happens when you use "Park mode" so that the camera is running 24/7. Now you have the cameras own heat, which puts it easily above 110° - even on an average 72°f. day. So now - when you have a 90° day, parked in the sun, internal car temp's apart from the cameras OWN heat ... the car's internal temperatures alone will exceed 140° ....
Those are temperatures that will kill your pet or your unattended children. Is it any wonder the blackvue cameras will give up the ghost as well? The true Miracle is that more owners aren't complaining about their cameras stalling out. That may simply be because people aren't checking their video files when they run Park mode on warm summer days.

that's not the deal ... it's NOT the fact that the blackvue will run AFTER you turn it on - the predictable problem of heat shutting it down happens when you use "Park mode" so that the camera is running 24/7.

Yes, I HAVE checked the videos from the camera in parking mode on a hot day! I frequently remove the chip at home and download everything on it and do a spot-check of videos, particularly in parking mode out in the sun. By startup, I was referring to the fact that often the electrical transients of starting my engine cause the BlackVue to reset.

Okay, I have detected what I would assume to be a heat related failure with my SanDisk 256GB chip. It is not a hard failure of the whole camera, but what happens is that the video seems to freeze for a moment and then continue. I have seen it happen 3-4 times in quick succession. I have also seen some isolated momentary freezes. They would seem to be related to the heat because it doesn't seem to happen on videos that were started when my vehicle was parked in our subterranean garage when everything was cooler and I had the A/C running. The problem would show up after I had had the vehicle parked in the sun for a period of time and it really had a chance to get hot. Once again, it was not a hard failure, but just a momentary freezing of the video.

I have not reformatted the card since I first installed it. However, I do run a disk check every time I download files as glitched files that have corrupted the file system frequently seem to occur during shutdown. I don't have mine setup to run all the time.

would be a good idea to format the card also

I have done my first reformat since first installing the card and I think that I can definitely say that the Southern California heat is beginning to take its toll on the unit. Is not a hard failure, but random freezing of the video for a few moments. I might try experimenting with placing a foil reflector on the window above the mounting to try to keep the sun off it as much as possible. I didn't have this problem last year because last summer I was up in Alaska on a motor-home trip and escaped the summer heat down here. Also, in my motor-home, the camera is protected from the noon-day sun a lot more by the bunk above the cab which extends forward of the front window.

random glitching can be the processor that is overheated, it will generally have issues at temps lower than the memory card would

I have done my first reformat since first installing the card and I think that I can definitely say that the Southern California heat is beginning to take its toll on the unit. Is not a hard failure, but random freezing of the video for a few moments. I might try experimenting with placing a foil reflector on the window above the mounting to try to keep the sun off it as much as possible. .

I have done my first reformat since first installing the card and I think that I can definitely say that the Southern California heat is beginning to take its toll on the unit. Is not a hard failure, but random freezing of the video for a few moments .....snip.....
it's intriguing how many folks want to attribute intermittent video drops to the sd card quality. The manufacturer already admits the camera's not able to handle temps at or above 140°. Yet in a car with windows up - that's nothing, on a warm sunny day.

after a lot of investigative reading - we found a window/windshield film called photosync that significantly reduces the sun's hot temp's in cars - even tho it comes in a nearly colorless application. Down side is - It cost us hundreds to have it applied to the windshield - but for us? ... man, it was so worth it. With the film inside our windshield, & windows cracked just ½" - the car's inside temps haven't yet hit 130° - even though outside temps have gotten up to 98° so far this summer !
[emoji6]

At least this heat is prompting me to do some tests that I haven't done before. For example, I am pretty sure I am taxing the processing capabilities of the 650GW to the maximum. In addition to running it in FHD@30/HD@30 mode, I am saving files at the "Highest" quality. That takes almost 80% more file space and associated read/write time. I am pretty sure that is what is causing my WiFi access from my iPad to be so slow. For tomorrow, I have backed the quality back off to its default value of "High" and will see how things perform.

I just put a Lexar 633x 128gb in mine today. Hoping to get at least a year out of it

Seems there is a shortage of SD cards

Anyone know when the range of Transcend micro SD cards will be available again?
Any news from the manufacturer on production?

Oh ... Available in Australia

Seems there is a shortage of SD cards

Anyone know when the range of Transcend micro SD cards will be available again?
Any news from the manufacturer on production?

Oh ... Available in Australia

they're readily available, they're just expensive

You'll struggle to find that model, price is too high right now, better off buying from Amazon, only takes a week or so to arrive

You'll struggle to find that model, price is too high right now, better off buying from Amazon, only takes a week or so to arrive

The current price for that same Transcend card is at least three times what I paid for it on Amazon during a "lightning deal" about a year or so ago.

The current price for that same Transcend card is at least three times what I paid for it on Amazon during a "lightning deal" about a year or so ago.
That would be consistent with the cost price difference between now and a year ago also

That would be consistent with the cost price difference between now and a year ago also

Yeah, I was just trying to put a time frame and number on it.

It is interesting that prices of flash memory where at historic lows just before Toshiba's financial crisis erupted after the collapse of its American nuclear business, Westinghouse Electric, which filed for bankruptcy protection in March, 2017.

Only thing I've heard from manufacturers is the growth of mobile phones is taking up all the available silicon and the shortage is pushing up prices as a result

Back