Bad Failed SD Card Notifications Compared to the G1W-C from SpyTec

AndrewL

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been testing the G1W-S and I'm quite happy with it except for the failed SD card notifications.

I have an G1W-C from SpyTec that I retested using four failed SD cards I own. 3 ADATA Premiere and One Transcend MLC card which came with the Garmin 20. Each card has a different issue but all are write-locked and can't be recorded to.

The G1W-C picked up all four cards and displayed a memory error warning. Great.

WVYcNKy.jpg

On the G1W-S, one card showed card full:
tnsz4zn.jpg

One fuzzed out:
Ie1LwfI.jpg

Two other two falsely show they are recording when nothing is being done.

This is a pretty significant issue IMO and I'm wondering if @viofo @VIOFO_Support is aware of this issue and if they will/can fix it in the future?

Ideally they'd need those cards to be able to test with
That would be ideal but I don't have that many failed microSD cards unfortunately. Vicovation took a couple months to fix and procured failed cards from their customers - I'm sure Viofo should be able to do the same.

That would be ideal but I don't have that many failed microSD cards unfortunately. Vicovation took a couple months to fix and procured failed cards from their customers - I'm sure Viofo should be able to do the same.

the different responses from the camera to each card suggest they are not seen the same by the camera so there must be some differences there

Andrew,
I would suggest you try the following:
- get the FAT format utility from Viofo support section: http://support.viofo.com/support/so...0046583-micro-sd-card-format-tool-for-windows
- format the cards with it but making sure you are selecting the Allocation unit size to match your microSD capacity [for example for 32 GB choose 32768]

These is the only way I was able to use 2 64GB Toshiba Exceria in a A119 and a A119s. As a bonus, after a clean format they are also working with an old G1WH.

the different responses from the camera to each card suggest they are not seen the same by the camera so there must be some differences there

I agree, I'm thinking it's firmware. I'm actually surprised as I thought all Novatek NT96650 cameras were unable to give a memory card warning. I'm wondering what firmware SpyTec is running. I found the photo of the G1W-C's disassembly and the processor is the NT96650BG 1516-AS. Not sure if that's the same on all "real" G1Ws.

Andrew,
I would suggest you try the following:
- get the FAT format utility from Viofo support section: http://support.viofo.com/support/so...0046583-micro-sd-card-format-tool-for-windows
- format the cards with it but making sure you are selecting the Allocation unit size to match your microSD capacity [for example for 32 GB choose 32768]

These is the only way I was able to use 2 64GB Toshiba Exceria in a A119 and a A119s. As a bonus, after a clean format they are also working with an old G1WH.

Hey Pocris, thanks! I've tried that before and a number of other tools including registry level changes. The cards are toast, they are write-locked by the controller and can't be recovered.

on screen warning is supported, audible warning is the problem

I've seen the warning on start-up where the card wasn't seated or was not there, but after that I've not seen anything to indicate a loss of recording on the few different G1W versions I have. That worries me some which is another reason why I use only SD cards known for giving best reliability in these cams ;) I've never had a write-protected card failure before though.

As budget-level cams I don't expect then to have completely reliable features, only to record reliably with decent vids and they seem to do that well enough when the rest is right. You don't get what you don't pay for :rolleyes:

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G G1W-S 9
jfsoto1988 G1W-S 11
Back