WR1 issues.

If nothing else, they should emphasize strongly the need for a smartphone in advertising/sales sites for this cam, or the limitations you face without one.
That's the problem with a lot of things nowadays: to assume that EVERYONE has a smartphone! That and things you can only get/access on that anti-social media site that starts with an F, ends with a k and has aceboo in the middle. :mad:

One 'positive' thing I can say about the WR1, is it seems to handle the start up procedure of the diesel truck, ok, and has started recording 99% of the time. The mobius next to it, maybe 80%. No big deal, I reach up and unplug it for a second.

The WR1 seems to have a long boot period. That's ok. But usually when somebody on foot approaches this truck, I turn the truck off, turn the key to the accessory setting, roll the window down a little to get the audio of the expected 'pitch' a little better. :) (while hoping to catch any vehicle they are in on cam)

My two forward facing cams are on a switched power source, since it has an easy place to tap into it overhead.
I've since put a 3d cam on a non switched source (On top of the dash) as a backup for audio, and when I forget to turn the key to 'accessory' when I park.

A few days ago I had some scammers, beggars, or hucksters approach my truck. They were in a NEW small SUV,(possibly a rental) with plates from 1500 miles away...and trying to sell what the lady claimed was a 'GPS' for $100. (Looked like a cheap tablet to me)
You see the reflection of the sunscreen in the windshield. It's not uncommon for a car to stop in front of a parked truck like this in a truck stop, not always up to no good, sometimes they're dropping off somebody at an adjacent truck. Since I was in the drivers seat using the laptop....I noticed, and watched, and I guess they saw me.

The lady was Cubana/Puerto Ricana, the much darker guy who spoke no english probably same. The car had florida plates, and this was in the Midland/Odessa, TX area.

What is missing in this video is the complete conversation, due to the long reboot time for the WR1.

It roughly went like this. They walk up to my drivers door, I turn the truck off and to the accessory postion, roll the window down. This whole conversation is missing due to the reboot time.

DARK GUY: 'You speak spanish?"
ME: NO (Only enough to insult or propostion yoga pants chica)
YOGA PANTS CHICA: 'Ju wanna buy GPS? Wan hunerd dollar'
ME: no

They walk away.

The long reboot time is not really a problem, just something I need to remember and deal with. The low audio.......is another problem. The mobius either chose not to restart, or I had unplugged it after accessing files, or sometimes do it when parked over night, leaving one cam with better night video running while parked.
(don't remember what the situation was)

Last edited:
I have to agree here. If all one has is the WR-1 (no smartphone or PC) then there should be a way to make it function. As it is now you can't format the card so you're stuck with an inoperable cam :(

This argument keeps going round and round to nowhere so I think we should drop it for now and see what Viofo does to solve the problems. Based on his past history I'm pretty sure this will be addressed adequately in good time :cool:

Rather than debating semantics let's focus on helping him improve the cam- that will benefit everyone, even those who are happy with it as-is ;)

Phil

It remains to be seen what issues and concerns may or may not eventually get addressed on the WR1 but I would like to see a version of the smartphone app that works via USB cable on Win/OSX, similar to how the Mobius is programmed. The WR1 has left me to conclude that my preference would be to have WiFi programability as an option on a dash camera rather than a requirement.

has left me to conclude that my preference would be to have WiFi programability as an option on a dash camera rather than a requirement.

I think I've lost count already of the number of people that say they just want 'a simple camera with no screen and wifi' the reality is they're anything but simple, far more simple when they have a screen and some buttons

I think I've lost count already of the number of people that say they just want 'a simple camera with no screen and wifi' the reality is they're anything but simple, far more simple when they have a screen and some buttons

I agree, of course. One observation having been using dash cams for 7 years and been around DCT for four years is that people who have been using dash cameras for the least amount of time and in many cases have yet to own one at all, have the longest wish lists for features, bells and whistles. Experience often counsels otherwise.

people who have been using dash cameras for the least amount of time and in many cases have yet to own one at all, have the longest wish lists for features, bells and whistles. Experience often counsels otherwise.

have noted that trend also

Maybe we can go back to the 'flip down screen' model...but smaller.
:)
I have one that actually still works.

I have one that actually still works.

My first dash cam was basically that. It was slightly smaller in size than a SG9665GC, although not quite so stealthy due to the mount. Great cam in it's day.
AT20.jpg

Yup, it had a nice slim shape, even better if it could be made smaller, came stock with a tripod screw mount and had the "bonus" of having a screen that didn't affect the shape of the camera. It was the proverbial Columbus egg, why didn't anyone pick up that concept is beyond understanding.

In order: Rock solid reliability, good to great video, decent audio, large card support, and GPS (optional) - nothing more is needed. Anything more than that and it's no longer a dash cam but something else.

In order: Rock solid reliability, good to great video, decent audio, large card support, and GPS (optional) - nothing more is needed. Anything more than that and it's no longer a dash cam but something else.
Sorry, but for me just "decent" audio is not enough. The audio quality has to be as good as the video quality. ;):p

Not surprising given the mount is as large as the camera. ;)

There were other, more stealthy options for mounting that camera. In its day it was a stealthy dash cam, all black, no logos, minimal front facing profile. Wasn't so easy to find stealthy dash cams back then. Also, when the mount shown was attached to the windshield behind the blue tint strip with the camera tucked up underneath it and peeking out from just below, it made for a compact hard to see package.

Last edited:
There were other, more stealthy options for mounting that camera. In its day it was a stealthy dash cam, all black, no logos, minimal front facing profile. Wasn't so easy to find stealthy dash cams back then.

they were practically stealth by anonymity back then, barely anyone would suspect to find something when they had no idea what it was anyway, they just weren't looking for it

Sorry, but for me just "decent" audio is not enough. The audio quality has to be as good as the video quality. ;):p
'Decent' is good enough. If anyone complains about my rendition of selections from "Carmen" I can always blame it on the camera. :D

they were practically stealth by anonymity back then, barely anyone would suspect to find something when they had no idea what it was anyway, they just weren't looking for it

Yeah, but some dash cams really drew your eye to them with their colors, chrome bezel rings and logos, etc. I chose the one I did because it was hard to see from outside the vehicle and the mount could mostly be hidden behind my tint strip along the top of the windshield.

Back