WR1 runs hot

Wr1Camman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got my WR1 today and was testing it out before installing it in my car. Everything seems to function well, with the exception of the microphone which is totally worthless, but I don't plan on using that. The WR1 connected to wifi and the apps worked well. I love the sticky mount. Nice and small and even if you don't mount it straight, the ball joint lets you adjust the camera in any direction. Excellent job on that and an example of how all dashcam mounts should be.

The thing I noticed is that the WR1 seems to get quite warm. If I tutn it on and record for even a couple minutes the back of the camera gets quite warm. Not hot enough to cause pain when you touch it but pretty close. I would call it hot. This is in my house and I wonder if it gets this warm after a couple minutes in my house, how is it going to be in the sun on a windshield?

Anyone else experience this? Is it normal?

I guess that is because the wifi is on, it will use more power than a non-wifi dashcam. As long as it is only warm in the house then I wouldn't worry.

It gets warm in use, but not excessively. I've had one running 24/7 in a truck for over 3 weeks.

I hadnt any warming-too hot issues myself with WR 1.

I guess that is because the wifi is on, it will use more power than a non-wifi dashcam. As long as it is only warm in the house then I wouldn't worry.

I saw one post that said Viofo should make a firmware update to turn off WIFI when not needed so as to keep the heat down and someone said the WIFI being on doesn't make the camera warmer so idk.

It's more a question of whether the WR-1 can function properly at the heat levels it sees. As long as it can do that, user-sensed heat means little as you're normally not getting that close to a running cam ;) I've got tough calloused fingers but on a hot day my Mobius heat sink won't let me touch it more than momentarily. That cam never quits or distorts images due to high heat so this one might do OK too.

My WR-1 should go in this weekend, and with out hottest days approaching this year I'll know shortly what heat does to this cam as my A/C has faded out completely and there's no funds to fix it in the summer financial forecast here :(

Till then don't worry. Just keep those fingers away from the cam when it's running :D

Phil

It's more a question of whether the WR-1 can function properly at the heat levels it sees. As long as it can do that, user-sensed heat means little as you're normally not getting that close to a running cam ;) I've got tough calloused fingers but on a hot day my Mobius heat sink won't let me touch it more than momentarily. That cam never quits or distorts images due to high heat so this one might do OK too.

My WR-1 should go in this weekend, and with out hottest days approaching this year I'll know shortly what heat does to this cam as my A/C has faded out completely and there's no funds to fix it in the summer financial forecast here :(

Till then don't worry. Just keep those fingers away from the cam when it's running :D

Phil
Thanks. Someone asked on Amazon what the operating temperature was and the reply was 65 C which is 149 F.

I finally got my WR-1 installed (temporarily) and left it running all day yesterday in my closed workvan which was parked in the full sun. Outdoor temps were 85F (29.4C) and above for at least 6 hours. The WR-1 got no warmer than my Mobius did with no heat-related issues showed on a sampling of vids taken through the day. While the worst of our summer has passed, I am going to continue this test for a week and will report back if there are any anomalies found. I think I'm going to like this cam :)

Phil

I've had no issues and leave mine in but not running when I get out (it's discrete enough for me to be comfortable doing that). That said, I'm also in a cooler climate. It's not been over 80F this summer in my region. Hard to say what temps it's reached when it's been left in the sun, but not had any issues with it starting when I've entered the car. I'm guessing internal temps in the car have probably reached 100f.

Back