Cool Kickstarted Dreamcade Replay

CheckYourLights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
I hope this is okay to post. I have been getting into retro gaming recently. I've been using a Raspberry Pi 3 a bit, but about a week or so ago I came across the Dreamcade Replay. I probly should have posted it sooner since it only has about 62 hours to go, but in case anyone wants to take a look
Here is the Kickstarter page
It seems to be based off of a Vorke V1 with Windows 10 home and a custom front end. From what I understand the only difference between this and the Vorke V1 is the case and to keep costs of the device down they went with 32GB over 64GB storage because Win 10 is free for set top boxes with 32GB storage or less that and the Kickstarter price of 100 dollars when Vorke V1s seem to go for around 150.
While the Kickstarter is retro gaming based you could just use it as a regular little PC box.
They are really close to light gun support being added.

I have no ties to the product or company. I am a backer however, and I am looking forward to seeing this make it

Check out the campaign page as well as some reviews on YouTube

Just wonder how you record or live stream gaming ?

Just wonder how you record or live stream gaming ?
Recording would have to be through an external HDMI capture box streaming it mentions it works with twitch

Sent from my pocket

they went with 32GB over 64GB storage because Win 10 is free for set top boxes with 32GB storage or less
I recently bought a low-end HP notebook PC with Windows 10 and 32GB storage. I didn't care if it was slow, it was just for editing basic spreadsheets. But the first Windows 10 update, right after purchase, nearly killed it, there wasn't enough room even after deleting all the rubbishware. It got there eventually, but I expect it to become unusable in a short time frame. Maybe I'll convert it to Linux.

Hopefully they've managed to strip down the OS in the Dreamcade to make it usable, but if it allows Windows updates, I'd be very worried.

I recently bought a low-end HP notebook PC with Windows 10 and 32GB storage. I didn't care if it was slow, it was just for editing basic spreadsheets. But the first Windows 10 update, right after purchase, nearly killed it, there wasn't enough room even after deleting all the rubbishware. It got there eventually, but I expect it to become unusable in a short time frame. Maybe I'll convert it to Linux.

Hopefully they've managed to strip down the OS in the Dreamcade to make it usable, but if it allows Windows updates, I'd be very worried.
Normally it is ok to convert to Linux system from Windows,just be sure your hardware can support it!

...Maybe I'll convert it to Linux...

Normally it is ok to convert to Linux system from Windows,just be sure your hardware can support it!
Also make sure that all your hardware can be supported.

I transitioned an ASUS Win10 laptop to Linux and everything worked great (and faster than with Win10) except for one thing - the built in card reader wasn't recognized. In order to get files off any SD card I had to use a USB adapter - not a big deal but just one of those things that make going to Linux 'interesting'.

Also make sure that all your hardware can be supported.
I have run into this issue myself. I have an Acer Aspire Switch 10 that I have been hoping to switch over to Linux, but the webcam is not supported. Everything other then that and my gaming pc run some version of Linux though be it Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora.
Also wanted to mention 7 hours left to go to back the Replay. The Light Gun support strech goal has been hit, and it sits at $221,155 at the moment. The last goal sounds like you will be able to share mods,emulators, and games with other people through the system and would be unlocked at 250K

j1PaLCSl.gif

Back