Why no top level forum for Garmin dashcams?

D

Deleted member 37895

Garmin units are probably the best selling brand in the US, considering they are sold at every Best Buy store, Fry's, etc. Why is Garmin relegated to a subforum under "Other Brands"? I didn't even find this subforum until recently even though I've been using Garmins for 3 years!

Based on forum activity rather than how many get sold as to which section things are listed under

Therein lies the problem. Because the subforum is "hidden" in the "Other Brands" people don't see with a quick glance and then go elsewhere. Therefore little traffic. I myself was a little surprised when I first came onboard that I didn't see Garmin up there.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Garmin units are probably the best selling brand in the US

Not by a long shot. Even the lowly G1W-C has more US owners than Garmin :p Garmin is trying, and IMHO will likely become one of (if not THE) dominant dashcam sellers here in the US but it hasn't happened yet.

Site traffic is what usually gets forums moved here. Bring more Garmin owners to DCT and you'll see the Garmin forum moved up ;)

Phil

Unfortunately even Garmin treats their dashcams as a second class citizen.
They have their own forums site:
https://forums.garmin.com
and dashcams are missing.
When I asked their support about it, they said "we don't have a section for automotive products..."

For whatever reason there hasn't been much interest on this forum for Garmin Dash Cams. Really add the forums in the top level if they get a decent # of posts. Approximately 400 over many years is not much for Garmin.

I'd only briefly looked at the Garmin 55 ... and feedback was a bit ordinary ... so I just assumed they were in the mediocre category ... expected better from them. 38% on Amazon USA rate it only 1 Star. Ideally, an integrated Garmin Dash Cam and GPS would be great in the one unit ... only the Dash Cam needs to be up high and the GPS down low.

ps. Love my Garmin nuvi 2597 GPS ... very happy.

Last edited:
Excellent! I just permanently mounted Garmin 55 and it's been running 24/7 without a hitch.

Hey now there's a top level forum! Thanks

+1 :D And from what I've read here, Garmin is as far from mediocre as you can get ;) There are some other good cams in the "other cams" category at the bottom too, but one must arrange the site somehow and going by popularity makes sense.

Phil

+1 :D And from what I've read here, Garmin is as far from mediocre as you can get ;) There are some other good cams in the "other cams" category at the bottom too, but one must arrange the site somehow and going by popularity makes sense.

Phil
Well most of the ones with their own top level forum are no name Chinese garbage that I've never heard of. It was really weird that Garmin was stuck in the "other brands" group. What the heck is "Lukas" and "DDPai" and "Mini Series"? I've never even seen these for sale anywhere.

If you've never heard of them, how can you know if they are garbage or not? All the names mentioned in the top forums are generally well known among the Dashcam cognoscenti and none of them are garbage, though there are more than a few I'd not buy :cool: Mini series cams were one of the most popular when I got into the game a few years back. Lukas is a Korean brand and is known for high quality cams. DDPai makes the Mini cams.

The vast majority of dash and action cams (along with a long list of other products) are made in China now, including a lot of high-quality stuff. so coming from China means little or nothing either. Even the Garmin cams are chock-full of Chinese electronic components because that is the best source for them, and sometimes the only source.

One of the rules of life I go by is that a closed mouth gathers no foot ;) It works for me :whistle:

Phil

One of the rules of life I go by is that a closed mouth gathers no foot ;) It works for me :whistle:

Phil
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"...Mark Twain. One of the rules of the road. :)

Now that we have a Garmin subforum, here's another question: Why does the Dashcam 55 model have its own forum? Pretty much everything about the camera is shared with the other Garmins. Why separate out topics that would be relevant to other Garmin units?

Dash cam 55 forum should probably be 45/55/65w forum since these models share most features.
Other Garmin dash cams use different platforms so they don't belong here.

Dash cam 55 forum should probably be 45/55/65w forum since these models share most features.
Other Garmin dash cams use different platforms so they don't belong here.

The other cameras are discontinued though. I don't think there need to be any sub-subforums unless maybe the subforum grows dramatically

Seems like the 55 is the most popular hence the subforum. While the 45 / 55 / 65 share many features, the 55 seems to use different hardware given the 1440p recording. Will think about consolidating into 1 subforum.

Back