How to connect battery pack

Theweekend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking in to investing in a power bank so that my Ddpai mini 2 stays on parking mode while I am away from the car

Now I'm looking at this power bank:
Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00M0EWED0
1. What do I need in order to connect this straight to the battery? I'm guessing all I need is a long micro usb cable to connect directly into the camera (battery in boot)

If someone has any better solutions for a similar price range please feel free to let me know

Thanks

You don't need to spend that much cash. Anker products are frequently on offer at discounted prices ... check HUKD regularly for deals ...

https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=anker

Cheaper brands are available, but I prefer Anker & will pay a few quid more for the Anker quality, warranty & after-sales service.

Last edited:
You don't need to spend that much cash. Anker products are frequently on offer at discounted prices
I agree I have a few myself and never spent that much.
What do I need in order to connect this straight to the battery? I'm guessing all I need is a long micro usb cable to connect directly into the camera (battery in boot)
If I am reading this correctly you mean you want to connect the power pack right to your car's battery?

I would maybe buy a DashCam hardwire kit wire it to a spot in the fuse box and run it to the battery pack.

Thanks, Il have a look at the different prices its the first one I saw

I am more focusing on how to connect it all.

Using a hardwire kit would the micro usb connect to the battery pack? And then a usb to micro usb to dashcam?

It is very unwise and potentially unsafe to permanently hard wire a power bank such as any of the Ankers to your car and then power your camera from it. Pass-through charging should always be avoided. Power banks are meant as an alternative to powering dash cams from your vehicle's electrical system and should be used with care.

THIS post explains the reasons.

It is very unwise and potentially unsafe to permanently hard wire a power bank such as any of the Ankers to your car and then power your camera from it. Pass-through charging should always be avoided. Power banks are meant as an alternative to powering dash cams from your vehicle's electrical system and should be used with care.

Thanks, so what would be the best way and not to expensive to hard wire a dash cam in order to stay on while on parking guard

Thanks, so what would be the best way and not to expensive to hard wire a dash cam in order to stay on while on parking guard

A Battery Discharge Prevention Device.

See: https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

A simple alternative is to use a power bank when parked and away from your vehicle and then plug back into your car when you return. A power bank can run a dash cam for many, many hours. Some people use two, charging one while the other is in use.

Do your comments apply to Cellink B, which appears to be designed to provide pass-through charging capability?

Do your comments apply to Cellink B, which appears to be designed to provide pass-through charging capability?

No, as you yourself point out the Cellink B is a product specifically designed for dash cam installations in a motor vehicle. Aside from having the appropriate circuitry for pass-through charging, the Cellink B uses a lithium-iron phosphate battery which is safer and more suited to the dedicated purpose than the lithium-ion cells used in typical power banks.

I am specifically referring to standard lithium-ion power banks such as the Anker PowerCore linked above and similar that are designed and intended for intermittent charging of mobile electronics when no mains AC power is available. Such power banks are NOT designed to be charged at the same time they are being discharged.

An important consideration is that a purposed designed product like the Cellink B will cost you many times more than a standard power bank regardless of capacity.

Last edited:
It is very unwise and potentially unsafe to permanently hard wire a power bank such as any of the Ankers to your car and then power your camera from it.
While I did mention how to get around this. I agree with Dashmellow's post. I would either not not use a battery pack and use the hardwire kit to a use in the car and go right to the camera and if you wanted it for parking wire it to any always on fuse. or use something like a Vico Power Plus

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply, Dashmellow. I thought that would be the case, but wasn't 100% sure.

Referring back to your post on pass-through charging, I have an Anker Astro Pro Series Model 79AN7906 (https://www.anker.com/ca/products/variant/Astro-Pro-20000mAh-Portable-Charger/79AN7906-BA) that I use with my iPad and iPhone. The manual provides instructions for "Simultaneous Charging and Discharging" and the website FAQ for this model says that you can do so. Other Anker models say that you can't, so I'm thinking that maybe some Anker products, like the Cellink B, have the necessary design features.

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply, Dashmellow. I thought that would be the case, but wasn't 100% sure.

Referring back to your post on pass-through charging, I have an Anker Astro Pro Series Model 79AN7906 (https://www.anker.com/ca/products/variant/Astro-Pro-20000mAh-Portable-Charger/79AN7906-BA) that I use with my iPad and iPhone. The manual provides instructions for "Simultaneous Charging and Discharging" and the website FAQ for this model says that you can do so. Other Anker models say that you can't, so I'm thinking that maybe some Anker products, like the Cellink B, have the necessary design features.

That's interesting. Thanks for bringing this product to my attention.

When Anker first introduced power banks to the market several years ago they touted that all their products could be charged while being discharged and that they would still be covered under their warranty. To their credit, unlike most other manufacturers, they eventually (maybe because of warranty returns) changed their policy and guidance on their web site stating that you should NOT charge while discharging for the all reasons I've mentioned. Now it appears that they have introduced a product that is specifically designed for pass-through-charging which I think is great. (so far, looking briefly at their web site it appears to be their only power bank capable of this) I find it commendable that they go to the trouble of stating publicly which of their power banks can be charged while in use and which should not be. (BTW, this power bank (Astro-Pro 20,000) still should not be permanently installed in cars though as it is not designed to withstand the shocks, vibrations and wide temperature variations and extremes of an automotive environment full time.)

Anyway, these product FAQs from Anker are a confirmation of my contention that a power bank requires the specific circuitry to allow for pass-through charging similar to tablets and smartphones otherwise you just shouldn't do it.

powecore.png

astro_pro.png

Edit: I notice that the Astro-Pro2 is currently unavailable on Amazon but I'd be curious to know what the price is for it compared to Anker's other similar capacity power banks cost. I'm guessing that it is far more pricey than a typical power bank, even for Anker which tends to be pricier than equivalent brands.

Last edited:
I bought mine three or four years ago and have no recollection what I paid for it or how it compared in price to the Anker or other companies' units. After conducting a lot of research, I concluded that it best met my needs and went ahead with the purchase.

I've never considered using it with my dash cams and doubt that I would, let alone permanently, for all of the reasons you've pointed out.

Again, thanks for your very useful posts. Much appreciated.

I bought mine three or four years ago and have no recollection what I paid for it or how it compared in price to the Anker or other companies' units. After conducting a lot of research, I concluded that it best met my needs and went ahead with the purchase.

I've never considered using it with my dash cams and doubt that I would, let alone permanently, for all of the reasons you've pointed out.

Again, thanks for your very useful posts. Much appreciated.

You're welcome!

Your power bank would work very well to power dash cams if you ever wish to use it for that purpose as long as you don't allow it to dramatically overheat or let it freeze, especially when charging. With a 20,000 mAh power bank there is no real need to charge it when running dash cams unless you need to run it all day and then leave a camera running all night.

Back