MGCOOL Explorer Pro Vs. SJCAM SJ5000X Elite

Mr CKJ

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

I did review both Action cams before but only in individual manner and guess it’s time to do a comparison and your sharp eye to decide which one is better! Let’s go …!

My humble and in depth review of MGCOOL Explorer Pro Vs. SJCAM SJ5000x Elite
More gadgets review at Smartech101.wordpress

For in depth review and it’s specifications of each action cam, you may refer here :
SJCAM: SJ5000X EliteSJ 5000X (Elite)
MGCOOL: Explorer ProExplorer Pro

My 2 cents, I still prefer SJCAM more as it produced better quality in the video footage. Images are more focused and sharp, especially on night video. Although MGCOOL explorer has brighter capturing but the quality of the images seems soft and not detail enough, alot of noises in the footage.
One thing to put into your consideration too , the price of SJCAM SJ5000X Elite still selling around USD100+ , whereby MGCOOL Explorer Pro is selling at USD39, -2x lesser of the price.
Well, I should talk less and you should keep calm and watch the comparison video now! Enjoy…!

Last edited:

I did review both Action cams before but only in individual manner and guess it’s time to do a comparison and your sharp eye to decide which one is better! Let’s go …!

My humble and in depth review of MGCOOL Explorer Pro Vs. SJCAM SJ5000x Elite
More gadgets review at Smartech101.wordpress

For in depth review and it’s specifications of each action cam, you may refer here :
SJCAM: SJ5000X EliteSJ 5000X (Elite)
MGCOOL: Explorer ProExplorer Pro

My 2 cents, I still prefer SJCAM more as it produced better quality in the video footage. Images are more focused and sharp, especially on night video. Although MGCOOL explorer has brighter capturing but the quality of the images seems soft and not detail enough, alot of noises in the footage.
One thing to put into your consideration too , the price of SJCAM SJ5000X Elite still selling around USD100+ , whereby MGCOOL Explorer Pro is selling at USD39, -2x lesser of the price.
Well, I should talk less and you should keep calm and watch the comparison video now! Enjoy…!

Thanks for choosing SJCAM! Our SJ5000x will have a cool new firmware update very soon!

SJ5000x Section

U could re-focus MGCool ...
I find the cheap action cams usually need re-focusing ...

U could re-focus MGCool ...
I find the cheap action cams usually need re-focusing ...

You mean refocus like this >

Both cam were actually locate at smooth surface during side by side capturing. Guess should be the chipset that makes the differences.

Sweet Lord No !
No need to go that far ...
Just pop the front cover off the cam ..
Then there is a plastic lens guard that also pops off ... ( Sits around the lens )

Once these two are off , counter rotate the lens to break the glue ...
( First mark the location of the lens )

Focusing :

Counter clockwise = focusing closer
Clockwise = focusing further out

The MGCool looks to be set for close focus , I dont think its a chip issue .
If you look at the video , you can see close up the video quality looks good ( and sharp ) but at infinity is soft .. This tells me the lens is not focused correctly .
1/8 to 1/4 turn clockwise should see infinity sharpen ..

Sweet Lord No !
No need to go that far ...
Just pop the front cover off the cam ..
Then there is a plastic lens guard that also pops off ... ( Sits around the lens )

Once these two are off , counter rotate the lens to break the glue ...
( First mark the location of the lens )

Focusing :

Counter clockwise = focusing closer
Clockwise = focusing further out

The MGCool looks to be set for close focus , I dont think its a chip issue .
If you look at the video , you can see close up the video quality looks good ( and sharp ) but at infinity is soft .. This tells me the lens is not focused correctly .
1/8 to 1/4 turn clockwise should see infinity sharpen ..

Learnt something new! Thanks Pal ...

Back