Anker Roav DashCam C1 Video Review

Noob questions here. The ROAV is my first dashcam.

My naive assumption was that dashcams recorded 100% of the time that the car is in motion. How else do people capture asteroids and wildlife in the periphery?

What triggers the C1 to record video? I installed the camera yesterday, set all [or both] the sensitivities to high plugged it into power, and let 'er rip. My wife took the car out later that evening. Reviewing the video today, there was nothing. No trips recorded yesterday. As I was reviewing the video via wifi today, while my wife was driving, I could see the the current trip was recording fine, so what is it that wakes up the camera?

Also, what is the "Loop" setting for? 3, 5, 10 min? There is no mention of some of the settings in any Roav manual I can find.
It is way too sensitive and locks files records emergencies for no reason even while driving straight on smooth road or just opening door. They have the power button on wrong place and it should be a push button not a touch. They sent me multiple replacements but they are all same and then you have the overheating issue where it burns swells and screen detaches. The so called replacement are just same. They have a new one coming up no date called C2 which is very different but that is not the replacement so I am done with anker Roav. They should take a year or two off and study about dashcams first. I think they are just not smart for wasting money on return labels for all the junk Roav C1 that were burnt swollen and those effected. Should have just issued refund , ask the customer to throw away or keep th craps ones . And start everything from new with their so called replacements!

It is way too sensitive and locks files records emergencies for no reason even while driving straight on smooth road or just opening door. They have the power button on wrong place and it should be a push button not a touch. They sent me multiple replacements but they are all same and then you have the overheating issue where it burns swells and screen detaches. The so called replacement are just same. They have a new one coming up no date called C2 which is very different but that is not the replacement so I am done with anker Roav. They should take a year or two off and study about dashcams first. I think they are just not smart for wasting money on return labels for all the junk Roav C1 that were burnt swollen and those effected. Should have just issued refund , ask the customer to throw away or keep th craps ones . And start everything from new with their so called replacements!

Thanks for the rant. But what about my questions?

The loop is how long each video lasts before starting another one

Where did you all get the recall email from? After registering? Are you all in US that have?

As above mine is within the serial number, I'm on UK haven't had an email, but I asked Amkee and thwy said it's fine it's US only?
Someone else said Anker told them this only affects units sold in the US, I assume that means by the time they released in the UK and else where changes were already made.

The loop is how long each video lasts before starting another one
And the trigger to record? Is sensitivity just to decide when to lock a file? Is the dash cam supposed to be recording 100% of the time while driving? Locked files aren't a problem. If 32gbs fill up I'll just reformat and move on. But why does recording stop while I'm driving? Why might it not even start recording while driving?

And the trigger to record? Is sensitivity just to decide when to lock a file? Is the dash cam supposed to be recording 100% of the time while driving? Locked files aren't a problem. If 32gbs fill up I'll just reformat and move on. But why does recording stop while I'm driving? Why might it not even start recording while driving?
You got it! I answered above in my so called RANT! The sensitivity issue is it locks files all the time. I have to delete the locked files so often!

Had another reply from Anker about me saying my serial within recall serial but I'm in UK....

"I double checked the SN of your dashcam with our product team. For your information, the coding of SN in other market is different with US market. Although the SN of your dashcam is in the range of recalls, I assure you that your dashcam belongs to the new version.

By the way, if you still worry about this issue and want a return and refund, we will arrange it as soon as possible. Please let us know your Amazon order ID and valid address.

You got it! I answered above in my so called RANT! The sensitivity issue is it locks files all the time. I have to delete the locked files so often!
this is typically why i turn that feature off on dashcams. I figure if i have a big enough memory card i should have no problem getting making a copy of the clip even if i need to drive a few hours home. but just to be safe I keep a spare memory card in my truck. I do not want to have to delete locked files all the time.

this is typically why i turn that feature off on dashcams. I figure if i have a big enough memory card i should have no problem getting making a copy of the clip even if i need to drive a few hours home. but just to be safe I keep a spare memory card in my truck. I do not want to have to delete locked files all the time.
if you don't turn the sensitivity even to low or turn off the parking monitor then it doesn't make much sense to use dashcam at all. They are there to protect , secure important clips and record bad things thta might be happening to your car. But then Roav cam is just so badly made that even by opening car door or even while driving at smooth road, you hear beep and it locks files again and again and again.

I think since they are new to the market, they made some mistakes! Now they that stopped the sale and recalled, both c1 and c1 pro, and they have nothing to sell yet. They may have learnt their mistake! From what I heared after speaking to them few times, they said the only improvement they are making is the battery swelling, screen popping issue which for me is not a good over all improvement!

if you don't turn the sensitivity even to low or turn off the parking monitor then it doesn't make much sense to use dashcam at all. They are there to protect , secure important clips and record bad things thta might be happening to your car. But then Roav cam is just so badly made that even by opening car door or even while driving at smooth road, you hear beep and it locks files again and again and again.

I think since they are new to the market, they made some mistakes! Now they that stopped the sale and recalled, both c1 and c1 pro, and they have nothing to sell yet. They may have learnt their mistake! From what I heared after speaking to them few times, they said the only improvement they are making is the battery swelling, screen popping issue which for me is not a good over all improvement!
Maybe I am misreading your first sentence, why would it be pointless to use a dashcam without the g sensor activated? It's always recording, it doesn't just record when the g sensor goes off. Every dash cam I've used with the g sensor activated goes off all the time from Minnesota's crappy roads. If the camera locks the file I have to erase the memory card manually every week or so because it fills up with locked files even on low sensitivity. This wasn't just an Anker problem for me, it's every dash cam. That's why I like how blackvue and thinkware can mark event files but they still get over written eventually like a regular file.

If I'm in an accident I'm not gonna forget to save the file to my phone before over writing it 7 hours of driving later.

I turn the sensitivity feature off on any dash cam I have used. I find that it just gets tripped by normal driving and you end up with a lot of locked files on your SD card that won't get written over.

I turn the sensitivity feature off on any dash cam I have used. I find that it just gets tripped by normal driving and you end up with a lot of locked files on your SD card that won't get written over.
Then any accident recording won't be saved right if you turn the sensitivity off?

Then any accident recording won't be saved right if you turn the sensitivity off?

That file will only get erased if you allow your dash cam to record for many hours, fill up your SD card again and finally overwrite that file. Depending on your SD Card size that can take many hours to complete.

Most people will retrieve the SD Card after the accident and then save it to a PC.

That file will only get erased if you allow your dash cam to record for many hours, fill up your SD card again and finally overwrite that file. Depending on your SD Card size that can take many hours to complete.

Most people will retrieve the SD Card after the accident and then save it to a PC.
I have High endurance card 64gb front for Roav which is now recalled and I have a118c on rear on 32GB. Both hardwired at bestbuy. So I guess mine is good size

I have spoken to their head lady in China via email back and forth many times. I repeatedly asked her why you won't work on capacitor version that will last long and can withstand heat and still have cool anker design . She once told me, they are doing battery version even after the recall cos the the capacitor versions can't be made with parking monitor option or something! It seems like they are focused more on features .

Any truth to that?

Got the replacements today. It's the same camera, which is what I expected. Hopefully it will last, if not I'll get my money back via squaretrade once the warranty is over.
Are you sure it is the replacement or just another same one that was sold? Where was it shipped from? & Was it USPS? I have been calling their DC office & emailing their rep in China and all told me it is about to arrive just few hundred in next 2 days or so and they have been apologizing me for the this!

Last edited:
I have spoken to their head lady in China via email back and forth many times. I repeatedly asked her why you won't work on capacitor version that will last long and can withstand heat and still have cool anker design . She once told me, they are doing battery version even after the recall cos the the capacitor versions can't be made with parking monitor option or something! It seems like they are focused more on features .

Any truth to that?
Anyway,capactitor version dashcam can support parking mode if hardwire power source.....

They should take a year or two off and study about dashcams first.

This exactly. Anker needs to admit to themselves that they are not yet ready to venture into building dashcams, and that the way they are approaching this is a black mark on their otherwise good brand name :eek:

Phil

This exactly. Anker needs to admit to themselves that they are not yet ready to venture into building dashcams, and that the way they are approaching this is a black mark on their otherwise good brand name :eek:

Phil
Failure to find one experienced maufacturer also!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Anker 3
USDashCamera Anker 0
USDashCamera Anker 0
N Anker 4
S Anker 6
Back