Button-press for File protection...?

Yes it does show the speed. Easy enough to disconnect the gps module if I don't want km/h showing. A bit pointless having gps though if it isnt used for the speed. It doesnt seem to work with dashcam viewer software either

the playback software not working is something that the software author would need to adjust, firmware won't help that, adding a MPH option isn't too hard though, that should be doable

the playback software not working is something that the software author would need to adjust, firmware won't help that, adding a MPH option isn't too hard though, that should be doable
Yes, I realise that. I have emailed the guy from Dashcam Viewer but not heard back. The video plays fine but shows double the actual speed.

Just started looking at howto edit the firmware. Is that something the user can do without too much hassle?

Yes, I realise that. I have emailed the guy from Dashcam Viewer but not heard back. The video plays fine but shows double the actual speed.

you can message @traveler here also, maybe he didn't get your email, he's normally red hot on the follow up

Just started looking at howto edit the firmware. Is that something the user can do without too much hassle?

Unlikely to be something you could do yourself

you can message @traveler here also, maybe he didn't get your email, he's normally red hot on the follow up"

Unlikely to be something you could do yourself
Thanks. From his site he seems to be pretty busy so I figured I was well down the list. I will try on here, thanks

Thats a shame

Last edited:
none of the dash cam viewers will work with the G1W-S with the speed on the gps, its doubles the speed at least it shown me doing nearly 240mph when I was doing around 75mph on the motorway. and yes it be good to have it in MPH on the actual raw footage. and the date dd/mm/yy . if its right there is not going to be any more updates it be a shame as it a nice camera to be honest, yes I still have audio problems if its running 24/7, but I just turn it off and on and that resolves it until it comes round to rewrite then you have to turn off and on again. I've got 3 of these cameras now. but I can live with the little glitches. and just see what comes out in the future.

none of the dash cam viewers will work with the G1W-S with the speed on the gps, its doubles the speed at least it shown me doing nearly 240mph

Does the ST still use the Volvo turbo engine? :D

I eBay'd my G1W-s in favour of a stealth front cam and I thought I'd regret it because the video quality was so good, but I never found a firmware to change the on-screen speed to mph and I wasn't too happy with how "fish-eye'd" the FOV was. I didn't really suffer any other "glitches" with mine, probably due to not having it permanently connected. Bought an A118c (very cheap) and the GPS receiver off the G1w-s works with it so I'm happy enough. Hopefully when my cams have died there'll be something else just as great on the market

@Paul Shires, thanks for the files. I took a look at them. It appears that VIOFO's firmware for the G1W-S stores the GPS data in the Novatek format (the same format used by the StreetGuardian SG9665GC and a number of others).

However, unlike most of those models, the G1W-S stores speed in units of km/hour instead of Knots. Knots sounds like a strange unit to store vehicle speed, but that's what most of them do (it probably has nautical roots. NMEA, another common GPS format for dash cams, also specifies speed in Knots).

I have added logic to Dashcam Viewer's auto-detection engine to compensate for this difference. Expect to see G1W-S compatibility in the next release.

@Paul Shires, thanks for the files. I took a look at them. It appears that VIOFO's firmware for the G1W-S stores the GPS data in the Novatek format (the same format used by the StreetGuardian SG9665GC and a number of others).

However, unlike most of those models, the G1W-S stores speed in units of km/hour instead of Knots. Knots sounds like a strange unit to store vehicle speed, but that's what most of them do (it probably has nautical roots. NMEA, another common GPS format for dash cams, also specifies speed in Knots).

I have added logic to Dashcam Viewer's auto-detection engine to compensate for this difference. Expect to see G1W-S compatibility in the next release.
Fantastic! Thanks for the quick work John, I really didn't expect it so soon given your workload.

Really much appreciated!

Paul

is the firmware in your picture the new or the old? (I no longer have the G1W-S to be able to check)

I seem to remember that the version number didn't change with the latest update. However for me the save a video function works
Correct, the firmware number did not change. @mihails did you manually default your settings in the menu after updating?

Nice work @traveler

Maybe try to re-load the firmware again. It's working on the units I have here. Menu button locks the file and places it in the RO folder.
Yes, I tried with different SD cards and many times, but without result.

Yes, I tried with different SD cards and many times, but without result.
Not sure why it's not working for you. Where did you get the firmware file from and what is your update process?

Back